Stubborn PC Screen

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 05:16 pm
I am using Windows 98 and my screen has gone a bit wild. My task bar which had been at the bottom of the screen is now at the top and my address bar which had been a thin bar running the width of the screen is now on my tool bar filling the right half of the bar. I can drag my task bar half way down, but no farther and when I do drag it, the start icon doesn't come with it. Any ideas? It is perfectly functional, but it just ain't right.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 890 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 05:18 pm
Please run a virus scan. This reminds me of some old viruses. Make sure your virus definitions are updated before doing so. It can also simply be a windows 98 bug but it's best to rule out virus first.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 08:17 pm
Hi fb804

I've had this problem once or twice, I've accidently done something, I know not what, and bam my taskbar has been vertical at the right side of the screen, or hanging like a bat from the ceiling, although I've always been able to drag it back to the bottom.

I've had a look in my windows for dummies book, and it just says "drag it to where you want it" but mentions nothing about if it WONT drag.

I'll keep looking.

By the way, I put my address bar onto my toolbar on purpose, whats the point having another bar all the way across the screen when you can stick it on on your toolbar and save yourself a bars width of space.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 06:54 am
CdK-Thanks! No virus indicated. I'll keep fiddling. No big deal, but I'm running low on hairs to turn gray.

kev- Thanks,also! I've been through my "Windows for Dummies" and a couple of other books for the "unknowing" with no success. As I stated, everything is still functional. I see your point on saving the screen space by having the address bar on the tool bar, but the small loss of space is less important to me than the loss of some of the tools to the "extension button" or whatever it's called.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 07:12 am
kev- I just realized that my last post had what might have been taken as an insult. The word "unknowing" referred to me not anyone else. Sorry for any unintended implications.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 07:23 am
Re: Stubborn PC Screen
flyboy804 wrote:
My task bar which had been at the bottom of the screen is now at the top
I can drag my task bar half way down, but no farther and when I do drag it, the start icon doesn't come with it.

Hmm, this reminds me of old viruses too. Since it doesn't appear you have any, well, when's the last time you restarted Windows? I've seen many similar things which simply rebooting took care of.

flyboy804 wrote:
my address bar which had been a thin bar running the width of the screen is now on my tool bar filling the right half of the bar.

In IE? For some reason this just happens sometimes, when you haven't locked the toolbars. Just drag it a bit down to make it have its own row again.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 07:36 am
Thanks, Monger. Restarting windows as well as defragging were two of the procedures I tried early on. This frequently cures my mysterious ills. Unfortunately, it didn't work this time. As for dragging, I just tried, and I couldn't drag. I couldn't get the white cursor arrow to change to the double black arrow dragging figure at any point on the tool bar or address bar.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 07:40 am
You should be able to right-click a toolbar and uncheck 'lock the toolbars'.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 07:45 am
Bless you, Monger. Not only did it become moveable, but it worked just as you said it would
0 Replies

kev

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 09:17 am
flyboy

Absolutely no offence taken.
0 Replies