Search Engine Friendly Site

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:49 pm
I am wondering what better ways I can make my website, EDIT (Moderator): Link Removed, become more search friendly? On the main page, I plan to make the listed services links to each service, hopefully that will help when I try to spider the pages. So far I have submitted my site to tons of free search engine services as well as in the process of a zealot(sp??) search too. Im still trying to pass their stupid quiz!!!!!

Any suggestions would be greatly appericiated. Also, does anyone have an idea about a better domain/company name? Mr. Bob sounds too lame now that I am not 14 anymore(17 now). I offer web design, however, i want to be able to resell other hosting packagages, depending what the client needs, so ihave a special section dedicated to a comparrison between 8 or so hosts. Hopefully making my name better will bring some internet related clients to me. So far, every site I have done is for my parent's friends, and then the referrals from that. Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,629 • Replies: 16
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:53 pm
You can turn off the cookies for a first.
0 Replies

BobbyDouglas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 02:59 pm
Hmmm.... I am using GZip on the page, could that be why you get the cookies? I didn't notice them.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:03 pm
In any case cookies do nothing to hurt SEO unless you force cookies to see the content.

You are already doing several things right, using alt tags etc.

The one thing you could so is use more text as graphics look nice but don't get spidered.

In any case SEO for a small hosting/design site can be futile. You are up against the best in the business so if I were you I'd focus on ROI and go for CPC advertising as it is unlikely that you'll beat out all the other hosts and designers in the SERPS and get any referrals.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:05 pm
More: Use alternate content for those who don't have flash.

Noticed your meta tags are all in order. Still looking...
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:08 pm
Looks to me like you need to speed up the site just a little errr a lot.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:09 pm
CDK - what's with you and the avatars?? LOL - bored?
0 Replies

BobbyDouglas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:12 pm
I was told by a friend that my Title was too long, even though it will get cut off, will it reduce my PR?

SEO = ?
ROI = ?
SERPS = ?

I have $2,000 to waste on advertising alone. I cant use it on anything else. I have been suggested to do some Google Adsense and I thought I could do the CPC advertising as well. I am working on the design for Edit (moderator): LINK REMOVED. right now, I will be displayed on their pages soon, hopefully pick up some good search engine status.

Also, I have used title= compared to alt= for most of the graphics because Mozilla Firebird will not display the alt=. And therefore just ignore them. how does that effect my ranking?

[EDIT]Oh, also. I have a $50 credit towards Overture. Shall I go with that as well?[/EDIT]
0 Replies

BobbyDouglas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:15 pm
husker wrote:
Looks to me like you need to speed up the site just a little errr a lot.

Hmmm. It is GZipped too. I plan to use some png files for the large images such as the Web Design, Web Hosting pictures on the left side. That should also help. BTW I have a 70% compression on the first page.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:24 pm
Husker,

It's an automatic avatar rotation script.

Bob,

The long title will not hurt your PR but it will not help it either.

$2,000 can go a LONG way with Adwords. Use it wisely and you can get a bit under 40,000 quality visits.

Use your overture credits but then stick to AdWords as it's a superior CPC network.

As to title vs. alt just use both. ;-)

SEO = Search Engine Optimization
ROI = Return of investment (you might wanna make a special landing page for those who click on your AdWords ads so that you get better turnover.
SERPS = Search Engine Results Pages
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:32 pm
CDK I like yer little script that pops the ad for the off site links. Slick!!!! I was a little sleepy when someone said I put an add on the URL link first.

What do you think you can do getting a million hits a month?? working on a project.
0 Replies

BobbyDouglas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:35 pm
Anyone know why my link was removed by the moderator here?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:36 pm
advertising - not allowed TOS rules
0 Replies

BobbyDouglas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:38 pm
How do others see my site on here to try and reply? You could ad least do something with every other letter has a dash. like t-h-i-s....
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:40 pm
Not sure how - that works - when we find out we'll both know Wink
I didn;t come here to make money but a plug now and then and a little support advise is great when I need it! CDK has a wealth of knowledge.
0 Replies

BobbyDouglas

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
Ok :/
Any other suggestions to the site?
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2003 11:01 am
bobby wrote:
How do others see my site on here to try and reply?

Hi bobby,
As long as you don't include any kind of call to action (eg: "have a look at my site"), I believe most personal website links are allowed in the website field in your profile.
0 Replies