Oz election thread #3 - Rudd's Labour

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:45 pm
nimh wrote:
By the way, this is only VERY tangentially related, but there's an Australian film festival going on in the film museum here, and last night we went to see The Wog Boy. Very entertaining Razz

Just curious, nimh.

What else is showing?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:54 pm
hingehead wrote:
CDEP is not an employment program its a social program, so moving it from evil DEWR (employment and workplace relations) to the more society friendly FACSIA (family and community services) makes a ton of sense. The challenge now is offering work-readiness opportunities for those on CDEP who want more than work for the dole.

I hope that makes a little more sense.

It does, hinge.

Thank you!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 10:59 pm
msolga wrote:

You know, working in the inner city here in Melbourne, I've taught lots of Effies. She got it exactly right!

Apparently she went to skool with Kate Ceberano, Effie was the cool one and Ceberano was decidedly unhip.

If Bad Boy Bubbie is showing its a must see Nimh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 11:33 pm
hingehead wrote:
msolga wrote:

You know, working in the inner city here in Melbourne, I've taught lots of Effies. She got it exactly right!

Apparently she went to skool with Kate Ceberano, Effie was the cool one and Ceberano was decidedly unhip.

I can believe that. And sharp as a tack, Effie!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:50 am
Too tired tonight to post much, so here are today's cartoons:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/04/051207_cartoon_moir_gallery__600x362,0.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 02:57 am
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/04/CARTOON_051207_gallery__570x400.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 05:06 am
hingehead wrote:
msolga wrote:

If Bad Boy Bubbie is showing its a must see Nimh.

I
used
to
haNg
out
a
Bit
with
Nick
Hope's
group!

Have't
see
Bad Boy Bubbie
cause
of
thecat
scee.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 05:23 pm
Understandable, first 15 minutes is hard going - making the juxtaposition with the lighter moments so much more powerful.

Cool movie, probably in my top ten (at least for affecting me and my world view at the time)
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:19 pm
In this forum( Politcis in A2K) I was the only person who dared to congradulate the person before election.
USA should learn something from Australia.
By USA I mean the people who reside in USA.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 10:39 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
In this forum( Politcis in A2K) I was the only person who dared to congradulate the person before election.
USA should learn something from Australia.
By USA I mean the people who reside in USA.

Yes, well, glad you clarified you meant the people...I HAVE heard the Rockies are slow learners....
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 6 Dec, 2007 12:30 am
This just raised my opinion of Rudd a great deal.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22880825-601,00.html

Quote:
Rudd forces ministers to sell shares

Patricia Karvelas, Political correspondent | December 06, 2007
KEVIN Rudd has unveiled a tough new ministerial code of conduct that forces all ministers to divest themselves of their shareholdings.

The code sets four key rules: public registration of lobbyists; electoral fundraising banned at the official residences Kirribilli House and The Lodge; an 18-month ban on ex-ministers working in areas in which they had official dealings; and all ministers to divest themselves of their shareholdings.

"First of all, lobbyists will be required to registered to register their details publicly on a register of lobbyists to be established by the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet before seeking access to Ministers or their offices," the new Prime Minister said after his first cabinet meeting, in Brisbane.

"Secondly, minsters will be required to undertake that when they leave office they will not seek to have business dealings with members of the Government, the public service or the defence force on any matters that they have dealt with in an official capacity in the proceeding eighteen months, one and half years."
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:36 pm
... & to take it one step further, vikorr. From Crikey!:

7 December 2007

Dear Squatters,

Commentator Norman Abjorensen notes in today's Crikey edition, that Prime Minister Rudd's (can we please stop calling him Kevin) robust stand on ministerial standards, performance and accountability is all very well, but:

It is not good enough that the head of government remains the umpire, and it is an area in which parliament should take the lead not just on ministerial standards but on the whole range of parliamentary standards with public hearings and regular reports.

And surely that's the point. Rudd might look for the moment like a man boldly constructing a new Westminster from the dark satanic rubble of the ancien regime, but the test will come. Sometime, someone in Team Rudd will test the bounds of the Code of Kevin Conduct ... how will the Prime Minister act then? Will it be with calm, possibly fatal authority? Or will his will be tempered by self interest and self defence? We shouldn't have to ask. The next part of the job is to hand such matters of judgment to an independent body. Then we would truly have reform, and the beginnings of a new confidence in parliamentary probity.

~
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:42 pm
If Rudd does something about the politician's superannuation rort I will be impressed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:51 pm
dadpad wrote:
If Rudd does something about the politician's superannuation rort I will be impressed.

Now wouldn't that be something? :wink:

... plus some of the lucrative "expenses" (travel, etc) & other assorted rorts ...

(Which reminds me: have J & J vacated Kirribilli House yet? The Lodge was a much easier matter, considering they never lived there!:wink: )
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:53 pm
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5789743,00.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 06:59 pm
I see the seat of McEwan is still in doubt.

There is a recount going on.

Fran Bailey leading by 22 votes according to The Age this morning.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:04 pm
Quote:
McEwen is the last of 150 lower house seats to be decided. Of the eight seats that went down to the wire, results are now clear in the other seven...

If Labor wins McEwen, it would have 84 seats.

The Age
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:05 pm
Must be very close, then!

Last I looked there were a few other such close calls.

Now I'm wondering about the senate count. (Been very busy the last few days & haven't kept up.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:13 pm
Alas, poor Peter appears to be in the poo with Kevin & co..:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/07/812_cartoon_gallery__600x373,0.jpg
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2007 07:18 pm
msolga wrote:
Must be very close, then!

Last I looked there were a few other such close calls.

Now I'm wondering about the senate count. (Been very busy the last few days & haven't kept up.)

According to the artical above McEwan is the only seat in doubt. The article gives results for the 7 or 8 other seats that were in doubt.

Senate counting does not start until after the house of reps is finished I understand.
0 Replies