Security software choices

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 01:56 pm
The time has come round again to either renew my ZoneAlarm AV or switch to some other program. What suggestions do people have? What about Norton? I know Norton is pretty heavy on bells and whistles, but is it sufficiently ahead of the others to warrant living with the extras?

As always, I need software that's easy to understand and whose instructions are simple and clear.

I have about 2 weeks to go with ZoneAlarm, so need to know soon.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,046 • Replies: 5
No top replies

rhymer

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 03:27 pm
I use Agnitum Outpost Security suite and can recommend it.

What I like best is that is a very capable Firewall, Anti-virus, Anti-malware and Anti-spam ALL IN ONE.

There can be no conflicts because it is just the one integrated package.

I also find it easy to use because it has preset configurations for many software packages being used by all the owners.

I think the current price is around $50 for two years use with all updates.

Good luck with your search!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 06:09 pm
If you are not on Vista yet, whatever you select should be rated for that and XP, if that's what you are using. Not all are.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 06:30 pm
I'm not on Vista; I use XP Home. Anyway, so far I haven't heard anything about Vista that would convince me to change.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 06:32 pm
I should have said at the outset that I use Firefox and Thunderbird, so I need something that will work with them.

Thunderbird is really great at blocking spam, BTW.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 02:27 pm
At the moment Kaspersky Internet Security 2007 is topping the ratings charts for effectiveness and it's ability to detect, block and eliminate viruses and other threats.

Norton 360 is also very good indeed.

I'd not bother with Norton Internet Security 2007 as it's about to be, or just has been, replaced with the 2008 version which has a much lower requirement for resources and a smaller footprint on your machine.
Basically it's nowhere near the resource hog that previous versions have been from 2006 and earlier.
NIS 2008 is also rather good.
0 Replies