Axiom(s) relating to belief in God.

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 11:43 am
Axioms may not be proved. Instead, they are considered self evident or intuitive. One example is the plane geometry axiom that the shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line. While that has been shown to have limited application, it still serves as a touchstone.

Very few propositions relating to God's existence are themselves self evident, as is evidenced by the continuing circular arguments in these fora.

I propose a single axiom:
(I would be most interested if any find weakness in this.)

All things have come about through the operation of natural laws, including those we have yet to discover.

I thought about trying to direct this thread, but I am curious to find out if there is consensus between believers and non believers on this suggestion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,040 • Replies: 71
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 04:06 pm
While I have no dispute with the axiom...from a Christian perspective, wouldn't that remove good & evil from the equation?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 24 Nov, 2007 07:58 pm
Why do you say that?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 06:37 am
If all things come about because of natural laws, are you not stating that creation was brought about by natural laws? And if so, then, as the bible says God created the earth, then God must be a natural law.

Laws don't have a conscience, they just are. Good and Evil have no relevance to natural laws.

PS. I'm presuming you are aiming this thread at creation. If we are talking about human actions, then the water gets a little more murky.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 07:01 am
good and evil have no relevance to existing natural laws, but i'm sure(?) neo believes we will find such natural laws at some time.

perhaps he's right- of course as usual however, we probably wouldn't agree on the implications. and i think we're a longer way off than he probably imagines.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 07:14 am
Re: Axiom(s) relating to belief in God.
neologist wrote:

All things have come about through the operation of natural laws, including those we have yet to discover.

That's pretty much the definition of Naturalism...

American Heritage Dictionary wrote:
nat·u·ral·ism
3. Philosophy - The system of thought holding that all phenomena can be explained in terms of natural causes and laws.

We could quibble over the meaning of the words "Natural" and "Law" in your definition, but over all, I agree with Naturalism as an axiomatic philosophy.

Science is founded on a form of naturalism called Methodological Naturalism.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 10:16 am
tinygiraffe wrote:
good and evil have no relevance to existing natural laws, but i'm sure(?) neo believes we will find such natural laws at some time.

perhaps he's right- of course as usual however, we probably wouldn't agree on the implications. and i think we're a longer way off than he probably imagines.
My personal belief is that natural laws have an author.

But most of you already know that.

But if 'good and evil have no relevance,' how may the concepts of free will and conscience be derived from the axiom?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:12 am
They cannot be derived therefrom. "Nature, red in tooth and claw" is not concerned with value judgments of the actions of individuals to survive--if an individual is capable of surviving by any means, without regard to how we judge the means, then the individual is profiting from "natural law." Good and bad, or good and evil, are value judgments. I would point out to you that from the perspective of the Canaanites, the arrival of Joshuah and his too live crew was a positive evil. Obviously, your garden variety bible-thumper does not agree.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 10:59 am
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Thru what did the laws themselves come into being?

Also, doesn't the Law of Conservation prohibit matter/energy from coming into being?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:11 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

Thru what did the laws themselves come into being?

"Nature created them, Man gave them names".

Or to be more specific (less poetic), natural laws are a result of the structure of nature (the Universe).

(Are you asking that question from a philosophical perspective, or a scientific one? Perhaps I'm not answering this from the proper perspective.)

real life wrote:
Also, doesn't the Law of Conservation prohibit matter/energy from coming into being?

Only within our Universe. We know of no such restriction outside of our Universe. (same thing I've been saying for post after post. Why are you not getting this?)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:34 am
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Only within our Universe. We know of no such restriction outside of our Universe. (same thing I've been saying for post after post. Why are you not getting this?)

Maybe because you haven't shown that there IS anything outside of our Universe, but you seem to assume that it exists.

What is it called when you assume the existence of something for which you have no proof?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:41 am
Quote:
But if 'good and evil have no relevance,' how may the concepts of free will and conscience be derived from the axiom?

we don't fully understand "free will" and "conscience" either, they are largely philosophical constructs (although materialists assume the "mind" is in the brain, perhaps citing eeg readings.) you're trying to have a philosophical debate in the realm of physics, right? it might be all directly related, but if it proves not to be, do you believe it will necessarily discount *any* of the above ideas, such as the ones we study as "natural laws?" i don't.

nor does this have anything to do with god, necessarily. or perhaps you're trying to refute materialism, but idealism doesn't require the "author" you imagine, under idealism we are all such authors.

and for that matter, we are authors in a purely materialistic universe as well, whether a god made us, or not. if a god made us, and gave us free will, we are co-authors. since there is more than one of us, we would be co-authors in any universe, except a purely deterministic one. then we would be merely books.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 11:59 am
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Maybe because you haven't shown that there IS anything outside of our Universe, but you seem to assume that it exists.

I don't assume it exists. I don't even know what it might be if it does.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 02:41 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:

we don't fully understand "free will" and "conscience" either, they are largely philosophical constructs (although materialists assume the "mind" is in the brain, perhaps citing eeg readings.) you're trying to have a philosophical debate in the realm of physics, right? it might be all directly related, but if it proves not to be, do you believe it will necessarily discount *any* of the above ideas, such as the ones we study as "natural laws?" i don't.

nor does this have anything to do with god, necessarily. or perhaps you're trying to refute materialism, but idealism doesn't require the "author" you imagine, under idealism we are all such authors.

and for that matter, we are authors in a purely materialistic universe as well, whether a god made us, or not. if a god made us, and gave us free will, we are co-authors. since there is more than one of us, we would be co-authors in any universe, except a purely deterministic one. then we would be merely books.
I wouldn't disallow the existence of additional axioms; but it strikes me as relevant to ask how free will could come into existence by itself.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 02:50 pm
neologist wrote:
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:

I wouldn't disallow the existence of additional axioms; but it strikes me as relevant to ask how free will could come into existence by itself.

Why are you so obsessed with free will? It seems like you're just trying to rationalize excuses for the christian concept of "god" to do crazy things, so he can avoid collapsing free will with his omniscience.

If you just get rid of the concept of a personal, hands-on, touchy feely God, then the whole problem of free will just goes away. Free will is just a natural aspect of life, with no more significance to it than whether a leaf falls on the land or the water.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 02:53 pm
neologist wrote:

How could it NOT come into existence by itself?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:11 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
. . .
Why are you so obsessed with free will? . . .
Perhaps I am.

But I have noticed that many on this board are more inclined toward belief in determinism and/or predestination.

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1731496#1731496

Fro example, many define God as omniscient, knowing all things by necessity. This makes the concept of free will a bit problematic. For if God is subject to determinism, how could he create in humans a trait he himself does not possess?

So, I think it is relevant to ask how free will could come about in a naturalistic model.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:25 pm
neologist wrote:
Fro example, many define God as omniscient, knowing all things by necessity. This makes the concept of free will a bit problematic. For if God is subject to determinism, how could he create in humans a trait he himself does not possess?

Right, so let's eliminate the typical christian god entirely, and look at things in a naturalistic model... ie. no god.

neologist wrote:
So, I think it is relevant to ask how free will could come about in a naturalistic model.

Now, tell me again why free will doesn't make sense to you in a naturalistic model. Because it makes perfect sense to me (unless I am completely misunderstanding the basis of your question... which is possible).
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 03:31 pm
Naturalism < > Determinism

How can free will exist in this scenario?

I'm not saying it cannot. I'm interested in the connections.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 04:19 pm
In th4e first place, there is no good reason to assume that anyone actually possesses "free will." However, if one avoids the excruciating "side debate" of whether or not anyone has free will, then why would you assume that free will "comes into existence." It were just as plausible to assume that free will is innate--that it comes with the package.

Why do you assume that there is any connection between naturalism and determinism? Accepting naturalism (at least in the scientific definition already provided) does not automatically lead to a conclusion that humans have no choice in their actions.
0 Replies