Wanting to Launch Non Profit Organization

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2007 11:34 am
If anyone knows about establishing such a thing, what are the legal requirements that must be met?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,210 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TTH

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:04 pm
You are referring to non-profit at the State level as opposed to tax-exempt at the Federal level? Not to offend you, I just don't know what you do or do not know.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 09:06 pm
google 501 3c
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:57 am
It would be launched on the internet, therefore aimed at anybody on Earth that might be interested. I am not knowledgeable in these type of activities.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 06:09 am
Our watershed group has established itself as a 501-3(c) and beyond that, we needed to establish ourseves as a Charitable Foundation(that way we could benefit from grants and take over as "Caretakers" of a conservation district that a wealthy benefactor wanted to establish as a land Conservancy). Being set up by the laws of Incorporation and liabilities limitations was established by our state, all the rest was so that we would be non taxable AND (most importantly) The Charitable Foundation limited the amount of lawsuits that could be filed against us to try to break the Conservancy Trust. (Land developers are a breed of reptile that feed on what they perceive as the weaker land holders)

It took us about 1 year , mostly legal bullshit but we needed to vote by quorum and we would only meet monthly. If you just concentrate oon the oganization at hand, Im sure you could get it done in half that time.

(Im assuming that this is a foundation for some benefit to people or the environment)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:15 am
Re: Wanting to Launch Non Profit Organization
edgarblythe wrote:
If anyone knows about establishing such a thing, what are the legal requirements that must be met?

You'll need to incorporate in your state and then file for tax exempt status with both the federal and state taxing authorities. IRS rules, in particular, limit the range of activities that can qualify as tax-exempt, so make sure that your organization's purposes qualify. You should consult with an attorney, although Nolo Press does a fairly good job of publishing do-it-yourself guides for non-lawyers. Take a look at their web page on starting a non-profit.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:16 am
dyslexia wrote:
google 501 3c

It's 501(c)(3).
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 09:23 am
joefromchicago wrote:
dyslexia wrote:
google 501 3c

It's 501(c)(3).
yeah
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:48 pm
Thanks, people. I am done in this evening. Will try to make sense of all this later on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:16 pm
I've been reading the links provided. Still have more studying, etc., before deciding what to do.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 08:40 pm
I'd be very interested in hearing a bit more about your hoped-for organisation, edgar, if you feel like telling us more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 09:31 am
I PMed Olga, because I don't want to give away the details just now.
0 Replies