Using a Personalized Font on the Computer

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:09 am
Quote:
Remember handwriting? There's a movement to bring it back. Naturally, we're not talking about your hand actually writing anything -- we're talking about your computer doing it for you.

A range of services offer to convert your handwriting into a personalized font that you can install on your computer, right alongside the standard Times New Roman and Courier. Why would you want to do this? To more easily add an individual touch to letters or other documents, the services suggest. For instance, at home, you can type out a family newsletter in your own familiar scrawl. Or in the office, a production team can quickly crank out "handwritten" marketing materials. Some people also use the services to immortalize their kids' writing before they abandon it for the keyboard.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119509324869293744.html

Hmm.............Apparently there are people who would pay good money to convert their chicken scratches into a font that you could use in your computer.

For between 100 and 200 bucks, there are companies who will actually create a font of your handwriting that you can download to your computer.

Imagine this Christmas, when Aunt Martha sends out her annual, interminable holiday letter. Now not only will you have to wade through the comings and goings of cousins that you don't see from one year to another, you will have to decipher Aunt Martha's writing.

What do you think of this idea? Would YOU be interested in getting a personal font?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 980 • Replies: 10
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:22 am
It is amazing how many things are being done 'for us' with technology.

Why bother learning handwritting when you can just type..or even now, just scratch a few letters onto some paper, and someone else will do the work for you.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:26 am
The Christmas letter in traditional chickenscrathcing. All the more reason to just toss the damn things.
We still get many enthusiastic letters about how important our family members lives have become. So much so that I designed a family coat of arms with a brass horn coming out of the butt of a suited man and a woman in a cape and tights.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:27 am
Re: Using a Personalized Font on the Computer
Phoenix32890 wrote:
What do you think of this idea? Would YOU be interested in getting a personal font?

I already have one; it comes free with a hand held word processing instrument that cost me 50 centimes d'euro.

More seriously, I can spot handwriting fonts a mile off, they are too regular, e.g. they use the same style for letters when handwriting would not, e.g the same style 's' at the start and end of a word which I certainly don't do when I write by hand. When I see marketing materials masquerading as handwritten letters, I tend to put them in the trash without reading them. Likewise family newsletters, a personal pet hate of mine.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:30 am
shewolfnm- I find that the older that I get, the more difficult it is for me to write for any length of time in a legible fashion. Arthritis in my thumb can be thanked for that.

I don't have any problem typing though (except for the typos Embarrassed ). I certainly would not want to burden people with having to wade through my handwriting, so I think that I will stick with the popular fonts.

When I E Mail to a friend, I typically use the Comic sans MS font in italics. It is kind of a "friendly" font, not too dissimilar to handwriting, and seems appropriate to me for informal mail.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:33 am
I, for one, am probably not in favor of it. The reason?

After 30 years + of sitting in front of "the tube" I can longer read my own hand writing. It has deteriated to a non-legible scrawl from disuse.

Printing is another matter due to my graphic arts background. One would never realize that the two came out of the same pen.

For instance, I copied two lines of poetry from a book the other day, came back two hours later to transfer it to the computer and honestly could not read it. Fortunately my memory was better than my script. Laughing

Pass.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:32 am
Back in the late '50's my sister chose a "cursive" font for her going-to-college typewriter. It was standardized cursive but very legible even when she used green typewriter ribbon.

Personalized computer fonts? I'm getting resigned to mass produced originality, but I'm not going to embrace that sort of progress.

In my teens, my handwriting was a bit crabbed and confined (at the time I thought "dainty" and "precise"). Since I've typed every since then, my handwriting is a sprawling scrawl. By the time I finish a 150 word sympathy note, my hand hurts.

I don't do a Holiday Newsletter, but I do type individual notes on most of my Christmas Cards. I keep a typewriter in the house for this once-a-year chore.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 07:40 am
This has been around for a while. Somebody encouraged me to do it (make my handwriting into a font) about a dozen years ago.

The Holiday Newsletter, oy. I struggle with this every year. (To do, or not to do?) I find the thought of hand-writing something for everyone on our list onerous. And most of the list sends me newsletters, so... E.G. had the idea of, this year, sending out every newsletter I've composed for the last 6 years (I did one the year sozlet was born and we'd moved to a new house, then I have composed but not sent them ever since). I'm thinking of doing it -- a paragraph here, a paragraph there, with the year it's from.

Maybe I'll do a combo -- holiday newsletters to those who seem like they'd appreciate it, handwritten notes to the rest.

I just don't knoooooowww!!! <tears out a bit of hair>
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 09:09 am
Using a Personalized Font on the Computer
I dunno.

I'm not a fan of those holiday news letters; it's not as if they were personal, or individual, or aimed at me.

As for those pseudo-personal letters, well - they're pseudo.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:53 am
Re: Using a Personalized Font on the Computer
Tomkitten wrote:
I'm not a fan of those holiday news letters

They get on my tits as we say where I come from.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 11:50 am
no to both.
0 Replies