Imran Khan arrested on terrorism charges (in Pakistan)

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:15 am
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22762118-601,00.html?from=mostpop

Quote:
Imran hit with terror charges
Bruce Loudon, South Asia correspondent | November 15, 2007
CRICKET legend Imran Khan has been moved to Lahore's largest prison after being charged under Pakistani anti-terrorism laws.

Mr Khan emerged from hiding last night to lead a student protest in Lahore, only to be immediately arrested, as Benazir Bhutto organised rivals from across the political spectrum into a powerful new coalition to oppose the Musharraf dictatorship.

``A case has been registered against Imran Khan. He has been charged under the anti-terrorism act,'' local police officer Naveed Arshad said.

Lahore police chief Malik Mohammad Iqbal earlier said Mr Khan would be charged partly because he was "spreading hatred''.

``Through his speeches he has been inciting people to pick up arms, he has been calling for civil disobedience, he was spreading hatred,'' Mr Iqbal said.

The relevant section of the Anti-Terrorism Act carries a punishment of at least seven years and up to life in prison. Khan was reportedly moved early today to Kot Lakhpat jail, Lahore's biggest.

The former Pakistan cricket captain turned politician escaped house arrest last week after President Pervez Musharraf declared a state of emergency, and has been in hiding - apparently organising the student protest movement - since.

Mr Khan was greeted by 200 cheering students at a planned protest against the declaration at Lahore University last night before he was seized by plainclothes policemen and hustled into a nearby building.

``I came to the university to lead a rally of students against the dictator Musharraf and his illegal actions,'' he told AFP as he was whisked away. ``I have achieved my purpose. I have started the student movement.''

Thought I'd post this because of our country's association with Imran Khan through the game of cricket, and because Imran Khan was a legend of that game, is a retired former Pakistani cricket captain, and the Pakistani's are crazy about their cricket (crazy enough to murder their coach when they were unexpectedly knocked out of the last world cup early)

Not exactly an Australian topic, but to anyone who saw the man play, it's a sad day indeed. He always conducted himself as a gentleman on the field.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 854 • Replies: 9
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:20 am
Oh ****.

This is bad, bad news from Pakistan about a scary situation.

Who next?????
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:21 am
You already posted this a few minutes ago...
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:51 pm
I'm aware of that.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:13 pm
So why did you do it?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:04 pm
I'm surprised you are actually interested in the reasons.

Different audiences. The political forum, where the article properly belongs, is browsed mostly by Americans, who have no idea who Imran Khan is. Australians are much more familiar with Imran (if they are old enough), and so it would have more meaning in this forum.

That would also be reflected in the amount of time the story will have been given in Australia, as compared to the US :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:33 pm
vikorr wrote:
I'm surprised you are actually interested in the reasons.

Different audiences. The political forum, where the article properly belongs, is browsed mostly by Americans, who have no idea who Imran Khan is. Australians are much more familiar with Imran (if they are old enough), and so it would have more meaning in this forum.

That would also be reflected in the amount of time the story will have been given in Australia, as compared to the US :wink:

And he was so HOT!!!!!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:39 pm
Wiki is already up to date on the guy (to the 14th anyway).
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:43 pm
Pakistan scares the bejesus out of me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 06:45 pm
Me too.......
0 Replies