HUNTING FOR SPORT

dyslexia

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:44 am
I do believe the hunting shiksa does is for what we call "slow elk"
http://blogs.goucher.edu/bubble/files/2007/05/cow-grazing.jpg
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:49 am
I love animals and cannot imagine enjoying shooting down a beautiful deer or other animal. However, I am not against hunting if you the use meat of the animal being hunted as long it is a species not endangered. So even though I don't like the idea of hunting, I am not against it. I just can't imagine enjoying killing a live animal. I even detest killing lobster - I certainly will eat the tasty morsel. The few occasions I have cooked the live lobster myself, I will say a little prayer for the creature.

I'm with ossobuco on the fur thing. I think furs are beautiful and would love to have a fur coat on one hand, but couldn't - the cruelty involved in obtaining isn't worth it for me. The guilt to have a beautiful fur coat far outweighs any enjoyment I could have of it. Besides I think the fur coat looks more beautiful on the animal.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:02 am
dyslexia wrote:
I do believe the hunting shiksa does is for what we call "slow elk"

I never met a cow I didn't like. They are tasty!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:03 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Why should we kill them to control the population? They were here first.

Because cervids increase their herd about 30% per year and overpopulate quite quickly, especially since they now have agriculture as a food source.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:22 am
bm
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 08:28 am
Save a car. Shoot a deer! Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:17 am
The only people I now let hunt on my land (besides me and family members) are the AMISH, Ive had bad luck with the "NRA Nimrods"
One group left open some gates and we had rams mixed in with receptives ewes. (It took about 4 gate openings to create the pathway) and , of course, the "hunters" who shot my pet cat.
The Amish only hunt with bow or crossbow for deer and shotguns for geese. They respect land and life, and thee guys are pacificts politically.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:27 am
I grew up in the middle of an urban environment with no father and never learned to hunt or fish.

It is a skill I wouldn't mind having in the event that the **** hits the fan and I need those skills to actually eat.... but since I'm a vegetarian and can currently get meat for my family at the store, I have no interest beyond possessing the skill for a later date that I hope doesn't come.

Trophy and sports hunters are idiots and should hunt each other, IMO. More sporting.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 10:33 am
So many ferals, so little time.

Pigs, dogs, cats, goats, deer, foxes, rabbits, horse, camel, donkey, water buffalo.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 11:57 am
I'm hoping to get a deer and a wild boar this year. The pork fat makes the venison burgers and sausage taste so much better.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 04:46 pm
farmerman wrote:
The only people I now let hunt on my land (besides me and family members) are the AMISH, Ive had bad luck with the "NRA Nimrods"
One group left open some gates and we had rams mixed in with receptives ewes. (It took about 4 gate openings to create the pathway) and , of course, the "hunters" who shot my pet cat.
The Amish only hunt with bow or crossbow for deer and shotguns for geese. They respect land and life, and thee guys are pacificts politically.

I well remember the shooting of your pet cat, farmer. Terrible. As I best recall, you were following up your grievance with the "hunters" through official & local press avenues. I'd be interested to know what eventuated.

The Amish only hunt with bow or crossbow for deer! In the 21st century that's pretty amazing! I'd be very interested to know more about their beliefs & practices regarding hunting.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 10:31 pm
The hunters who killed my cat were prosecuted under animal cruelty and hunting license violations. One of them lost his license for 3 years and the others for 1. It didnt bring Lil "Lucky" back but it made an impression on the hunters. I ws called out by one of the hunters at a restaurant (the one with the 3 year suspension, ) The other guys apologized. I have a feeling Im gonna run into the one guy again, he seems a bit childish and self centered. Ive interefered with his "right" to kill animals.

The AMish will hunt with guns, its just that were ina county that doesnt allow deer rifles and most shots at deer are 30 yd or less, so bow or crossbow is as good as a punkin ball shotgun.
The AMish are frugal so they dont lose their arrows , they collect them .

The AMsih can deal with any techn ology but their only stricture is that they arent tied to the world by a power line. Many AMish will generate their own electricity for basics like refrigeration . (They will use propane generators). They dont use cars but will hire a taxi driver to haul bunches of them to of farm jobs. They are often seen as a bit hypocritical but their rules are kind of like the "eruv" rules of the Orthodox Jews. Seems kind of strange to us but are a way of life to them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 11:57 pm
farmerman wrote:
The hunters who killed my cat were prosecuted under animal cruelty and hunting license violations. One of them lost his license for 3 years and the others for 1. It didnt bring Lil "Lucky" back but it made an impression on the hunters. I ws called out by one of the hunters at a restaurant (the one with the 3 year suspension, ) The other guys apologized. I have a feeling Im gonna run into the one guy again, he seems a bit childish and self centered. Ive interefered with his "right" to kill animals..

They were prosecuted for their actions. Good for you, farmer!
Of course this doesn't bring a loved pet back, but it's good they were made accountable for their reckless behaviour.

I don't like the sound of the one whose upset about losing his "right" to kill animals. Take care.

farmerman wrote:
The AMish will hunt with guns, its just that were ina county that doesnt allow deer rifles and most shots at deer are 30 yd or less, so bow or crossbow is as good as a punkin ball shotgun.
The AMish are frugal so they dont lose their arrows , they collect them .

The AMsih can deal with any techn ology but their only stricture is that they arent tied to the world by a power line. Many AMish will generate their own electricity for basics like refrigeration . (They will use propane generators). They dont use cars but will hire a taxi driver to haul bunches of them to of farm jobs. They are often seen as a bit hypocritical but their rules are kind of like the "eruv" rules of the Orthodox Jews. Seems kind of strange to us but are a way of life to them.

So long as they are responsible hunters (I assume they kill purely for food?), who respect their prey & their environment, who cares about their "strange" rules about technology? No harm to anyone else, hey?

When I have a bit more time, I will post here about the ongoing controversy surrounding duck hunting season in my own state of Victoria (Oz).
This year the ducks have received a reprieve, due to the extreme drought conditions. Difficult enough for them right now just surviving & propagating in these conditions, without some of the worst excesses of the duck season!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:13 am
Habitat destruction and climate change are two major forces that are affecting many bird species. Canada Geese are adapting by changing their flyways and have already changed their "wintering over" areas from the deep south , to now when they winter over in Pa and New Jersey and MD. Its that way in some of the midwest flyways.

Were losing the really colorful finches because of deforestation in the deep woods of Central America. We used to have all kinds of BAltimore Orioles in our area when we moved here 25 years ago, now were lucky to see 2 pairs a summer. However bluebirds are exploding .
SParrows have developed certain patterns that mock their colorful finch cousins. WE can see house sparrows becoming more red , now to the point where a few are actually bright red breasted. This has to have some adaptive advantage since it shows an evolutionary trend on the extreme rapid scale.If I needed a dissertation topic in ecology, or evolutionary biology, ID follow thee species as an example of how changes on adaptation can occur in our own lifetimes.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:03 pm
Where I hunt if a cat or a coyote shows up they're as good as dead. They have no business there.

I don't know about the Amish, but my arrows with points cost a minimum of $15 each. So yes, I spend more time looking for them than a golf ball.

It's sad that antis like msolga are given so much credibility. They are so out of touch with the cycle of life it's unreal.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 08:56 pm
cj, if you hunt private land, you respect the owners requests. My mistake was to assume that my cat would be safe in with the hunters that I had so wrongly allowed to hunt on my land. Hunters are hunters own worst enemies if they all have cj's senses.
Why do the WYoming Welcome signs riddled with bullets? Many of our historical markers get peppered with shot, as do barns and farm animals. Do those hunters belong in the field cj?

NRA represents a minority of gun sportsmen and gun owners, thank goodness. Those clowns are scary.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:02 pm
farmerman wrote:

NRA represents a minority of gun sportsmen and gun owners, thank goodness. Those clowns are scary.

The NRA is the real deal and you know it. I guess it bothers you. It's important to bother those that support animal rights no matter how they disguise it. JMO.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 12:25 am
cjhsa wrote:
Where I hunt if a cat or a coyote shows up they're as good as dead. They have no business there.

You would kill them just because they're there, while you're hunting? So no one else should be on the spot but you & your "prey'?
And you call yourself a "responsible" hunter? That's despicable.

cjhsa wrote:
It's sad that antis like msolga are given so much credibility. They are so out of touch with the cycle of life it's unreal.

Actually, cjhsa, I'm not exactly some heavy leader of the "anti" movement, as you call it. There are many Australians who share exactly the same concerns. I post what I post simply because I care about the welfare of animals. Many of my posts are simply media reports about the animal welfare/conservation issues that concern me. If, in fact, I'm given any "credibility" here it's because others share those concerns. It has nought to do with my influence, really.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 07:45 am
msolga wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

You would kill them just because they're there, while you're hunting? So no one else should be on the spot but you & your "prey'?
And you call yourself a "responsible" hunter? That's despicable.

No it isn't. Cats are a non-native invasive species and feral populutions can decimate the ground nesting bird population. Coyotes are out of control and anyone with hunting license can blast away at them from Oct-Mar here in Michigan. Or trap them. Honestly I don't see why there is a coyote "season". It should be year 'round.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 11:58 am
"feral cats" are a totallly different beast, these are animals who for at least 2 generations were naturalizing to an environment. My pet cat was incorrectly allowed out by my us and I trusted the judgement of the hunters. I didnt realize that their entire being was killing, not hunting for food .

As fr as the NRA, it represents a minority of hunters. Hunters and SHootersdotorg represents sportsmen who wonder what the hell is NRA doing toting Glocks as sporting weapons and AK-47's as deer rifles.
Hunters and Shooters org is the representative of most SANE gun owners who dont support uncontrolled handgun ownership . They are for control of certain long weapons . AND, they are for such things as being limited to the amt of guns an owner can purchase per unit time, and they are for stolen gun/lost gun reporting data bases.
Hunters and shooters dont, unlike NRA, make-up or wallow in lies about gun control laws or "increases of gun crimes being greater in Britain than in the US".
I used to be a member years ago, until the REagan/Heston years when it turned into a lobby of the GOP and gun manufacturers.
0 Replies