That link just gets me to ads.!?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:28 am
try it again. I fixed it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:28 am
I think I fixed it. Please check your link portal.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:30 am
o please don't make me read that.

okay, i will.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 10:55 am
In the article they wrote:
1st Place: "Using Prayer To Microevolve Latent Antibiotic Resistance In Bacteria"
Eileen Hyde and Lynda Morgan (grades 10 & 11) did a project showing how the power of prayer can unlock the latent genes in bacteria, allowing them to microevolve antibiotic resistance. Escherichia coli bacteria cultured in agar filled petri dishes were subjected to the antibiotics tetracycline and chlorotetracycline. The bacteria cultures were divided into two groups, one group (A) received prayer while the other (B) didn't. The prayer was as follows: "Dear Lord, please allow the bacteria in Group A to unlock the antibiotic-resistant genes that You saw fit to give them at the time of Creation. Amen." The process was repeated for five generations, with the prayer being given at the start of each generation. In the end, Group A was significantly more resistant than Group B to both antibiotics.

The experiments may not be scientifically valid,
but with a little bit of faith they do demonstrate how faith operates.

The effects of modern technology on religion are also well demonstrated at the fair, with a very large sampling too.

Approaching Technobabble Constructively:
The extreme example of what happens is in the fringe New Age practices. Many "gurus" collect the latest buzzwords from science, assemble random phrases into sentences, and use the "tone" or "feeling" of the nonsense sentences to inspire faith in their practice. "Quantum calibration of your chakras". "Nano-crystal retunement". The result is more like poetry or astrology, where the words evoke emotional and spiritual states, rather than denoting technically accurate or physically real situations. The connotation becomes the entire purpose of the word, simply for the sound of it and it's effect on you.

Good stuff! An old tool (technical words) used for a new purposes (social engineering).

Quote:
great fun was had by all in attendance

That would be the entire point. Mission accomplished.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:06 am
My first reaction was amusement, especially at the titles of the first few "science" projects. That amusement quickly turned to complete horror when I reached the second place winner in the middle school division, "Women were Designed for Homemaking." It's funny that they accept physics and biology to "prove" that one.

Now I think I'm just sad seeing how these kids are being led to believe that praying leads to the evolution of bacteria and that the ability to pack a bunch of rodents in an ark is science. And I'd love to hear how the "Thermodynamics of Hellfire" was determined.

People like this are sad. These kids are growing up uneducated and afraid of the beauty of science. I honestly don't understand why science and god have to be seperate, but maybe I'm missing something, right? Wink
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:22 am
Are these participants barred from engaging in science elsewhere, or discouraged from participating in Science Fairs?

If people can embrace both Alice in Wonderland and Albert Einstein, then we have the best of both worlds.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:30 am
There was a thread on here a while ago discussing that (Religion vs. Science). I don't think science and religion can logically mix because science is the study of the physical world (material) and is based on observation. Because g-d is said to be immaterial (not of the physical world, un-observable), it can never accurately be woven into science.

Think about it: what is god's color? Core temperature? Velocity? Specific gravity? Those are physical properties. If someone believed g-d was somthing physical, like say, a rock, then it would be logical for science to apply.

In specific cases, science can be used to gather evidence: as in the case of carbon-14 dating the shroud of turin. But that doesn't say anything directly about the shroud, other than how old it is. Science is descriptive. People interpret the results.

Regardless of belief or disbelief, science and religion don't mix. As evidenced by this very funny/sad article. I want to write to those children and say somthing that would make a difference. I also wish they had posted the details of "the thermodynamics of hellfire." And I wish that noah's ark kid hadn't killed his poor test subjects...
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:43 am
CB, it would be interesting to know whether this was coming from a Christian school or if the kids are educated in a secular institution, for sure.

There are some Christians who believe that evolution is guided by God, and in that way they can combine both religion and science. I agree that the study of science can't be combined with religion, but for those who have that much of a problem with science contradicting the bible, it's an alternative to complete denial of the facts.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 11:45 am
Sad! Very sad!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:42 pm
Watching it unfold --

Searching google for "Fellowship Baptist Creation Science Fair"
produces dozens of links to discussion forums and blogs.
The discussion of the event is bigger than the event itself.

That's one sign of a publicity stunt -- so we should check
if the event is a hoax or not.

Also, 100% of the discussion on these forums is shocked amazement
at how stupid these people are. That indicates that the
event does not actually promote what it claims to promote.

More people are turned off than turned on -- even on various
religious discussion forums! If I wanted to defame and destroy
religion, I couldn't stage or phrase anything better for that purpose.

If it is for real, I still think it's a tremendous experiment in
social engineering. How could *you* get hundreds of people
to get so excited about something so illogical? Do you have the
ability to hypnotise so many parents and children, to cheerfully
make so many smiling outlandish statements?

Business people do this all day long, every day, especially when
talking with investors. If I could persuade hundreds of people at
my job to work twice as much for half the pay simply because of
faith, then I would get a huge promotion (worth about $2-4 million/year).

Faith-based persuasion is a good skill to have. Very interesting to
see faith happen, how it can operate, and how we can use it.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:52 pm
LMAO!! How very Machiavellian of you, CB!

You're definately on to this -- check out their online store:

cafeshops.com/objectivemin/
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:54 pm
Here's another clue
(from http://www.christianforums.com/t50621&page=2 ):

Pete Harcoff wrote:
If that site (Objective Christian Ministries) wasn't specifically trying to shut down Landover Baptist (a very well-known parody site), I might be inclined to think it is real. But the fact that it is exactly the type of site Landover parodies, makes it too much of a coincidence for me to consider it legit.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 01:15 pm
I dunno...looks like it could be official propaganda from John Ashcroft:

Quote:
From the site's 4 Kidz section:

"Atheists such as crotchety old Mr. Gruff think they've got it all figured out...

...but then why are they always so sad?

If you find an atheist in your neighborhood,
TELL A PARENT OR PASTOR RIGHT AWAY!

You may be moved to try and witness to these poor lost souls yourself, however
AVOID TALKING TO THEM!
Atheists are often very grumpy and bitter and will lash out at children or they may even try to trick you into neglecting God's Word.

Very advanced witnessing techniques are needed for these grouches. Let the adults handle them."
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 01:30 pm
Wow, prize winners in this article reminded me a *lot* of a parody on that comedy satire site called _The Onion_. Even the tone of the writing is the same.

They should call this "science fair" the Straw Man Science Fair; Set 'em up, and burn 'em down Smile

But seriously, I feel the same way about this type of thing as I do about Cults. As far as I can tell, there isn't a bit of difference. Very sad. I wonder if the web page is for real?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:59 pm
This web site (http://objective.jesussave.us) can't be for real. It's too funny.

The www.whois.us site lists THE NAMEIT CORPORATION D.B.A. AITDOMAINS.COM as the owner of the domain, but all that means is that someone registered this domain through aitdomains.com.

I think the whole thing is a joke. It must be related to the Landover site somehow.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:39 pm
To the creation scientiest I guess that's why God created women. Sheep don't do windows.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:45 pm
Creationists are egoists dressed in religious clothing. "How dare you say we evolved from apes, they're disgusting....we are better than them, and originate from something higher." Get over it...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 03:50 pm
"Dr. Richard Paley is a teacher of Divinity and Theobiology at Fellowship University."

This is the joker who is featured on that page, and who is quoted in the opening line as:

"As a Creation Scientist, one of my greatest duties that I take great pleasure in is introducing the works of the Lord to the young generation."

Geeze, it ain't so hard to be a scientist these days as i mighta thought. I gonna be a scientist now. Lessee . . . i know, i'll be a smart-ass scientist--i'm gonna call myself a satirologist.

Anybody know where i can scare up some suckers with lotsa money to fund my web site?
0 Replies