Afraid of death

bellsybop

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 06:28 pm
My take on your situation is that you are trying to come to grips with life, and not death.
When a woman becomes a mother, her whole outlook on life changes. It becomes a reality. I don't have any inspiring words for thought, but it might help to know that you are not alone. Some just dwell more deeply on the subject than others and I wish you the best.

Another question.... Has this been happening since the birth of your baby? And if so, how old is she? I'm wondering if you might have a more severe form of post partum blues. It's not something to sneeze at. And might be something worth checking into.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2007 10:05 pm
Quote:
I worry that if I die my daughter would never know who I am. I worry my husband would remarry someone who wouldn't have our daughter's best interest at heart. I just started counseling a couple of weeks ago for this problem (as well as panic attacks which started around the same time this fear of death did). My counselor is focusing more on other issues so I feel pretty helpless in dealing with this.

this is the part that stood out for me. actually, i think it's reasonable to focus on other issues. although you may feel very afraid of death, it's more than typical for one kind of actual fear to manifest primarily in another kind of fear.

to make an extreme example, you fear how you're going to do on your college thesis, and so you end up obsessing about death. the thesis represents your success in life, thus your life, and your fear of failure in one task swells into a fear of failing in life altogether, thus dying a failure, thus dying. this mostly happens subconsciously, so you wouldn't notice the process until after you've fixed it.

you seem to have a lot of stress regarding your family. if you can work that out, you may find that you're not really obsessed with death, simply the thought of a life without a loving family. it may not seem like the same thing, but it's probably the angle to attack the issue from that will most likely relieve you of this fear. seriously. and good luck with it.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:37 am
anorthcut, you were very wise to seek professional help. Further, I believe you therapist is going in the right direction in looking at your marital situation.

Since your husband's heart is not into providing a loving upbringing for your child, is there any chance he could go to work allowing you, at least temporarily, to stay home and provide child care? I can't imagine your tolerating your present situation.

Speaking of the afterlife, I would appreciate the answer to a question I and some friends discussed last night. In Judaism, is there a heaven and a hell?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:31 am
Advocate wrote:
In Judaism, is there a heaven and a hell?

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2855063#2855063

http://www.aish.com/rabbi/ATR_browse.asp?l=a&offset=4
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:20 am

Thanks for the info. It is still a bit fuzzy.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:25 am
religion is better fuzzy.

the alternative is that you're right, everyone else is wrong, and we fight about it instead of progressing ethically and spiritually.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 01:19 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
religion is better fuzzy. . .
Then we get to know for ourselves what is good and what is bad. (See Genesis 3:5)
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:43 pm
how about, matthew 7:3? how can we tell people what they're missing if we're missing even more?

how about luke 6:9? isn't the spirit of the law more important than the letter of the law, without the spirit?

how about luke 6:37? for all you know, the efforts made by other people towards salvation are greater than your own, no matter how they appear to you.

how about james 1:26?

Quote:
If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless.

again, we're told to be meek, again, we're told not to judge, again, we're told to share what we know, where does prostituting your religion above the others come in?

you can be christian or you can be proud, right? all i'm saying is, don't be proud of your religion, or you'll lose it. i'm with james on this one.

of course if your mind is open, your mouth should be okay. after all, we're supposed to sing praise- just not pride. with most of the christians that are loud enough to be heard, there seems to be a fine line between the two. this, and not apostasy, is the reason that most christianity is worthless in my opinion.

people are far too busy putting themselves up above others, and everyone falls down. better to admit we're all in it, *together* but you can be apart if you insist you know what we don't.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:54 pm
speaking of which, i just remembered this wasn't a thread about religion.

damn you and your mote, advocate!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 03:57 pm
no one fears death.... they fear retribution and being held accountable for their life.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 09:06 pm
I disagree. I fear death. I fear not being.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:56 pm
Eorl wrote:
Ironically, the opposite of death (aka mortality) can be argued to be true-immorality (aka where one can never die).

True-immorality (like death) may also be considered a curse, as supported by certain fables / myths / stories.

What fate to be so weary of living but unable to succumb to death?
What might it be like to never die while all else does so over time?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:39 pm
Chumly wrote:
Eorl wrote:
Ironically, the opposite of death (aka mortality) can be argued to be true-immorality (aka where one can never die).

True-immorality (like death) may also be considered a curse, as supported by certain fables / myths / stories.

There are many who strive for true immorality. But, IMHO, immortality provides more opportunities.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 11:40 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:13 am
The ever vigilant Neo-The-Proof-Reader rides again:

Ironically, the opposite of death (aka mortality) can be argued to be true-immortality (aka where one can never die).

True-immortality (like death) may also be considered a curse, as supported by certain fables / myths / stories.

0 Replies

savva06

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 07:59 pm
i do not fear death!! I am at the moment experienceing sever helth problems that may mean that i dont make it to the end of uni bt still death has no sway over me. For without death we would not know the true value of life.

By fearing death n trying to deny it we lessen the value of life and all it stands for. death is merely the means that new lifes enter the world and i accept death so that new lifes may experience the downs so they truely appreciate all the ups life has to offer
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Sun 2 Dec, 2007 02:14 pm
Why would anyone fear death anyway, unless you knew that your death was going to be extremely painful and enduring, or indeed after your death you would experience severe pain, that would be a good reason to fear death, but no one really knows what happens after death, if anything, and immortality would make life meaningless.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 3 Dec, 2007 05:39 pm
Fear of the unknown..and fear of the finality of not existing anymore is understandable.
0 Replies