POLITICS - One of Many Sources of Waste of Time & Resources!

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 07:43 pm
I'm going to post something thats likely going to piss you off for one reason or another.

The best way for a society to thrive and excel is to maximize the productivy of its individuals.

Thus, I have a theory that one of the worst things a society can do is waste intellect, labor, time and resources on things that don't serve one of the following purposes...

Advancing science

Turning people into productive members of society - healing the sick, educating the young, training the working class, providing basic human neccesites etc.

Producing a product needed for others to work efficently

Self learning and training ie. studying

The government should be doing all it can do encourage and provide for the above activities. The more people for whom the above needs are met, either by society or by their family, the more productive members the society will have in the future. By meeting these needs, people have fewer things to worry about, fewer hurdles esp during thier youth and more time that can be focused on making something of themselves.

By that theory, the following are a drain of society's resources (man power, intellect, time etc) while producing little of value in return.

Politics - Think about the huge amount of time that people spend watching politics on tv, reading newspaper, volunteering for campaigns etc. Now campaigns are starting earlier than ever, being watched more closely by more people than ever, and are expending more resources than ever. Not to mention the lumber to print all those pamphlets, the travel etc.

Television - Televisions pro is that it can rapidly provide access to and distill and present new ideas. It could be used to channel the very best intellects on the cutting edge of ideas and package these ideas to the masses. Unfortunately, that's not how it's used. Unless you're one of the rare people that watch no more than an hour of tv a day, and only to relieve stress, or you mainly watch the few shows left that distill new ideas and perspectives found in intellectually stimulating books and presenting them the public on PBS, chances are, your tv is draining what could be productive output from you.

We absolutely need creative people in society to provide us with new ideas and innovative solutions that enhance productivity. Unfortunately, it's the most creative people in society that are most drawn into televisions ability to present so many different things so quickly. And I believe precisely those people esp when young get sucked in nowadays to television as a format of rapid fire information, and thus most held back by it's lack of true content. Creative people have brains like sponges. They love to absorb information whatever it maybe, and unfortuantely, tv is one of the easiest ways to absorb information, but also one of the least informative.

Internet - A lot of what I wrote about tv can be said about the internet. Yes emails make efficient work possible, but the average person spends a lot of more time goofing off online than doing any actual work.

Recreational Drugs - Once again, unless you consume very small amounts for short periods to relieve stress.

War and the Military - War maybe good for the economy in the short term. But overall, it's a huge amount of time spend blowing stuff up, and then rebuilding it later. The amount of resources, time and money spent on battlecrusiers that do little more than sit around for the most part. The amount of time spent training people during times of peace etc.

Organized Religion (Also time spent on psychics, ghosts and other spiritual entities) - Six hours every week in Church, the hours spent each day thinking about god, reading the bible, prayer etc. Not to mention the intellectual dissodance it often creates with actual science. Unless you're one of the rare people who truly couldn't get by without religion, is probably wasted time.

Love, Lust and Relationships - Of course, love does meet a basic human need. But now more than ever, more time and resources are spent on it, pursuing it, ending it, repursuing it than ever before.

Sports - One hour of exercise a day is actually a good thing and increases productivity. I'm refering to things like following sports, watching sportscenter and professional athletes that do little else other than play sports etc.

Celebrities and our obsession with them - Need I say more.

What aspect of my post do you disagree with?

Where does this theory fall apart?

What other things can you add to my list?

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:23 am
Dost thou think because thou art virtuous there shall be no more cakes and ale?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 12:08 pm
Virtue! Who's talking about virtue!?

I'm talking about cold mechanical robotic efficency. And yes, Cake and Ale interfere with that.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 12:56 pm
Cold, robotic efficiency? Give me cakes and ale.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 01:09 pm
The Onion this week had a story that exactly reflects this thinking.

The title was - Working at Work Increases Productivity.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 02:33 pm
So I take that the two of us are in total agreement. Smile

We as a society need to...

Supplant Democracy with Technocracy,

Restrict Television to an hour a day per household member,

Restrict The Internet to an hour a day (except email, wikipedia, google maps and other informative sites like Able2know),

Legalize relatively benign recreational drugs (marijuana, alcohol, nicotine possibly ecstacy) in small occasional doses but limit them to 81 mg a day as we do with tylenol,

Get rid of all borders and disband both the pentagon and the military,

Ban Organized Religion,

Limit time spend with loved ones to no more than two hours a day and limit arguments to no more than 15 minutes a day,

Ban all professional sports

Premptively imprison all celebrities before they go out and do something stupid that dominates the newscycle for the next 72 hours and wastes everybodies time (I'm looking at you Anna Nicole Smith and Britney Spears).

The main problem that remains now is how to go about imposing these restrictions.

I was thinking some grand computer and security camera based orwellian type society could work, unless you can come up with a better idea?

Edit: Oops, almost forgot about videogames. They're limited to 30 minutes a day, unless you're talking about Civilization. And diet is limited to contain 20 grams of fat per day.

Anything else I forgot? The main point of this post was to make absolutely certain that nothing was forgotten before I write a letter to George Bush with a list of great policies to push through his last year in office.

Please post if there's anything else I forgot.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 03:11 pm
ummmm.......no!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 03:46 pm
We should ban lazy people from laying around underneath apple trees when they should be off working. (Newton)

We should prevent kite flying when someone could be producing something that is actually needed by society. (Franklin)
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:18 pm
Amen

Besides, that Newton Apple story is a myth and the Kite flying experiment wasn't as big a deal as is made out to be.

Others figured it out using more scientific methods than flying a kite at around the same time.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 04:43 pm
Centroles wrote:
Amen

Besides, that Newton Apple story is a myth and the Kite flying experiment wasn't as big a deal as is made out to be.
So you are arguing Newton never saw any apples fall to the ground, or anything else for that matter before he came up with his theory?

Quote:

Others figured it out using more scientific methods than flying a kite at around the same time.
Really? Who performed those experiments without any of Franklin's work? I'm curious.

The point I was trying to make and which obviously went over your head is that much of scientific advancement requires imagination and creativity. Simply requiring everyone to put their nose to the grind stone won't get us very far.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 05:30 pm
First of all, I only suggested making due without excessive amounts of Democracy, Television, The Internet, recreational drugs, the military, Religion, Sports, Celebrities, or Videogames.

I never said anything about either kite flying or sitting under apple trees, especially when done for a scientific purpose.

If you read my post, you would have seen that I would have given government funding to Franklin to fly that kite and to Newton to sit under that apple tree.

Secondly, people discovered next to nothing back then. So of course you can point out a few lazy people that managed to discover things. It was so easy to discover things back when practically nothing had been discovered. Hell, I bet even I could have discovered a few dozen things back then.

Show me a more recent example (anything in the past 50 years) of a lazy person revolutionizing the field of science.

And thirdly, what has creativity ever given us?

Other than physics and biology and chemistry and mathematics. But I mean something that actually matters, like the bible. There was no creativity involved in that.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:31 pm
You have proposed all kinds of things...

People shouldn't spend more than two hours a day with loved ones. (Marie and Pierre Curie)

You have said we can't argue more than 15 minutes a day. (All science is moved forward by disagreement and arguing. Every published article has disagreements.)

The one thing you have really failed to understand is humans work better when we have time off to play. It is impossible to tell when that "great idea" will come from or why. Yes, lots of people waste time. I am doing that now by even responding to your suggestions. But it is hard to tell what is wasting time and what might lead to something that you would consider "productive." Even computer game playing has a learning capacity to it. There have been recent studies that show it teaches thinking skills. I'm not going to waste my time trying to find the information for you. But this one might give you some places to start..
http://www.creativeteachingsite.com/videogames.htm

And here is one research paper on it
http://www.academiccolab.org/resources/gappspaper1.pdf
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:11 pm
Regarding the Curies, that just goes to prove my point. Workplace relationships never work. Seriously ask them. Oh that's right, you can't! They were too distracted with arguing and making love to notice that they were being poisioned to death!!

And few would characterize scientific disagreements as arguing. Arguments are more of a verbal personal endeavor. In science, it's called discource. Even if you disagree, scientific papers take several months to write and get published. 15 minutes a day X 90 days = plenty of time to write a paper.

An hour for tv, an hour online, a half hour for videogames, 2 hours with loved ones, 8 hours for sleep, an hour for hygeine, seriously, over a 24 hour day, just how much time off does a person need? God you people are lazy. Smile
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:22 pm
Centroles wrote:
Regarding the Curries, it wasn't worth it imo. Workplace relationships never work out. Seriously ask them. Oh that's right, you can't! Smile

And few would characterize scientific disagreements as arguing. Arguments are more of a verbal endeavor Even if you disagree, scientific papers take several months to write and get published. 15 minutes a day X 90 days = plenty of time to write a paper.
It might be plenty of time to write the paper but it would sure slow science down.
Quote:

An hour for tv, a half hour for videogames, 2 hours with loved ones, 8 hours for sleep, an hour for hygeine, seriously, over a 24 hour day, just how much time off does a person need?
You forgot meals, the cooking of those meals, laundry, yardwork, house cleaining, travel time to and from work, caring for children, caring for any pets, paying bills, upkeep on the house, etc, etc.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:23 pm
Centroles wrote:
God you people are lazy. Smile

I guess you edited this in....

Too lazy to write it the first time?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 09:25 pm
Nope, hard working enough to come back and add it in.

parados wrote:
Quote:

An hour for tv, a half hour for videogames, 2 hours with loved ones, 8 hours for sleep, an hour for hygeine, seriously, over a 24 hour day, just how much time off does a person need?
You forgot meals, the cooking of those meals, laundry, yardwork, house cleaining, travel time to and from work, caring for children, caring for any pets, paying bills, upkeep on the house, etc, etc.

Exactly, after all that, you have maybe five hours left over each day to do any actual productive work that contributes to society, even under the policy I propose.

Well, it looks like my fifteen minutes for arguing is up for the day. Till tomorrow, toodles. Laughing
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:56 am
Centroles wrote:
Workplace relationships never work.

Well, I've worked in the same office as my fiance for the last 8 years and we dont' seem to have any problems, in fact, we hardly ever fight, and she sits less than 30 feet from me.
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:25 am
Did you two check yourselves for radiation poisoning yet? The Curie's sure wish they had.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 10:32 am
Centroles what are you doing wasting your time arguing on the internet?

Get back to work right this minute!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 12:06 pm
Is this where I come to get cake and ale?

Robots may be more efficient but they aren't very much fun.
0 Replies