Full Moon Tonight: Coyote Women Will Howl

Rockhead

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:20 pm
@ehBeth,
I been out hangin' with the moon and cleaning up after the smoker.

it's incredibly bright tonight.

gonna get the garden all cleaned up so tomorrow night I can howl with the coyotes by tiki torch light...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:19 pm
@Rockhead,
6 hours to the full moon here

gonna sneak out in a little while and howl in the back yard

gotta remember NOT to time it with the arrival of the Mortimer 62 bus
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:23 pm
@ehBeth,
we are socked in with clouds.

I spent an hour or so outside walking last night with bubba and the coyotes...

big almost full moon then.

rain tonight before its all over.

missing Noddy...
ehBeth

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 08:39 pm
@Rockhead,
I just came in from my howl.

The girl dog was mighty puzzled, but the dog two yards over joined in.

Thought about Noddy and our Staten Island ride with brendalee and Eugenie - back and forth and back and forth. Miss Noddy had ghosts to throw overboard that day.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:42 pm
Hello, Noddy. I miss you. I hope you are peaceful and happy.
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 09:48 pm
@ Heatwave,
Welcome home, Heatwave. Good to see you around.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 12:18 am
I was out filling water jugs, and my local coyote friend announced himself. solo. just west of me in the big wheat field across the road.

very close. and mournful...

arooooooooooooooooooooo.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 01:09 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb0169-lqLs&feature=related
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 01:51 am
It's pouring rain here. The radio tells me the moon is full. But I couldn't vouch for it on the evidence I have at hand.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2011 06:17 pm
Thought the A2K moon watchers would get a kick out of these photos:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/392605_244669275595385_100001569422730_636027_348741323_n.jpg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2011 01:01 pm
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/12/111209-lunar-eclipse-saturday-full-moon-space-science/?source=link_fb20111209news-eclipse

Total Lunar Eclipse This Weekend—Last One Until 2014

Published December 9, 2011

This weekend sky-watchers across most of the globe will have the chance to watch at least some of the last total lunar eclipse until 2014.

The entire lunar eclipse will be visible in East Asia, Australia, and the far western portion of North America that includes Alaska and Canada's Yukon and Northwest Territories. The spectacle will last nearly three and a half hours, starting on Saturday at 4:45 a.m. Pacific Time.

Totality—when the full moon will be completely blocked from direct sunlight—will start at 6:05 a.m. PT and last until 6:57 a.m. PT.

Part of the eclipse will be visible in Europe and Africa at moonrise, in the evening, said Raminder Singh Samra, an astronomer at the H.R. MacMillan Space Centre in Vancouver, Canada.

"Meanwhile, observers across the Pacific region of North America will get to see the sky show low in the western horizon at moonset, in the early morning," he said.

Painting the Full Moon Red

Lunar eclipses can occur only when the full moon, Earth, and the sun are aligned so that the moon crosses through Earth's shadow.

Due to the moon's tilted orbit around Earth, lunar eclipses happen only a few times a year, Samra said. The eclipse can be full or partial, depending on how much of the lunar disk falls in our planet's shadow.

Rather than going completely dark, the moon takes on a deep reddish hue during a total lunar eclipse.

"As the entire moon passes through the Earth's shadow cast by the sun in space, sunlight scattering off our planet's dusty atmosphere and subsequently reflecting off the surface of the moon will make it appear to change color," Samra said.

Expect to see the lunar disk go from dark grey during the partial phase to reddish-orange during totality, he said.

Partial Eclipses on the Horizon

After Saturday's eclipse, sky-watchers are in for a dry spell—the cosmic lineup needed for a total lunar eclipse won't occur again until April 14, 2014.

But the next partial lunar eclipse happens on June 4, 2012, when a chunk of the moon will appear to be gobbled up by Earth's shadow.

"The next few lunar eclipses that will occur will only be partial ones," Samra said, "so this will be our last chance to enjoy a total eclipse in quite some time."
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 9 Jan, 2012 06:42 pm
the coyotes are active already this evening. the big yellow moon is low in the sky.

missing noddy tonight...

and bob.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Jan, 2012 04:02 am
and Timberlandko

Lunar eclipse of the heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZlCDMo17II
ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:44 pm
@Letty,
big old full moon out there

talked to Noddy and howled as I drove to dance class tonight

it felt pretty darn good

I quite like the regular howls and catch-up chats
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2012 09:49 pm
It was soooo nice to drive into the woods last night, park, and not need a flashlight to find our way to the cabin further in the woods. Mr. Green
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Apr, 2012 07:40 pm
mrs cav just reminded me to get out and howl

awesome big ole moon tonight
Rockhead

Reply Sat 7 Apr, 2012 11:53 am
@ehBeth,
I didn't make it back here last night, but I spent an hour outside with the coyotes and the big old yellow moon...

got a firm grasp on my dominion right now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 08:00 pm
went out on the porch with Set and the dogs - I howled

the dogs ignored me - they're usde to my howls

then Set howled and dog ears went waaaaaaaaaaaaay up

awesome moon tonight
Rockhead

Reply Sat 5 May, 2012 10:09 pm
@ehBeth,
hella yellow moon.

mowed the garden and lit the torches...

gonna hang with miss noddy for a while tonight.

so far no coyotes, but it's early...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 04:31 pm
June 4th Full Strawberry Moon