Reply Sat 23 Oct, 2010 02:04 pm
@Izzie,
ooooooooooooooh... it's so beautiful tonight

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/whatever/P1040704.jpg

someone watching over...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 06:50 pm
big white moon tonight. brisk and clear.

not quite full, but the local coyotes don't seem to care much.

missing noddy about now...
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 07:46 pm
@Rockhead,
The solar system will be putting on a rare display for Noddy in a few days.

http://www.wisn.com/r/26189975/detail.html

Quote:
Eyes will be on the sky early Tuesday morning for a total lunar eclipse.

Just after midnight Tuesday, the moon will start to slide into the earth's shadow.

It's expected to last 3 and a half hours, until about 4:00 a.m.

The last one happened nearly three years ago. The next total lunar eclipse will be in the year 2014. Tuesday is also the winter solstice.

"We haven't had a lunar eclipse on the winter solstice since the year 1638, and we don't get another one for 100 years," said Bob Bonadurer, planetarium director at the Milwaukee Public Museum. "So, it's just a little coincidence two astronomical things, the winter solstice -- the shortest day of the year -- and a lunar eclipse happening on the same day."

The Planetarium at the Milwaukee Public Museum will have a free watch party Tuesday from 12:30 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. outside on Wells street. Telescopes will be available for viewing.

Bonadurer said the snow storm might force them to cancel the watch party, but it will be on even if there's just a slight chance of seeing something.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:01 pm
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/topstories/2010/12/17/nasa-moon-map.jpg

The partial eclipse will be observable in Europe, West Africa and South America at moon set. Those of us willing to be awake at that time (brrr!) in North America might get a nice treat.

From NASA (emphasis mine):
Quote:
Why moon will appear red

If you were to stand on the moon's surface looking up at the sky, you would see Earth hanging above, nightside down, and completely hiding the sun behind it.

Rather than being completely dark, the Earth's rim would appear as if it were on fire. Around its circumference, you would be seeing every sunrise and every sunset in the world at the same time.

This surrounding light will actually beam right into Earth's shadow, giving it a rusty glow.

From the Earth, the moon would appear as a giant red orb because the only sunlight visible is refracted through the Earth's atmosphere.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/12/17/lunar-eclipse-winter-solstice-coincide.html#ixzz18c5tXx4q
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2010 08:50 pm
@littlek,
Should be a great opportunity for some truly spectacular photographs if the sky is clear enough to view it. I hope they are planning on taking photos from both Hubble and the Space Station.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2010 07:21 pm
So exciting. I hope the clouds peel back a little here.

For once I'm happy that the old dogMan has to get up in the middle of the night.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 01:44 am
Can't see a thing from Albuquerque. The clouds are in the way.

Hope someone somewhere gets some good pictures.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 02:40 am
I have an awesome view of it, but my camera doesn't do moon shots.

the coyotes seem to like it, too. they are verra active tonight, calling back and forth...
jespah

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 06:26 am
@Rockhead,
Cloudy, snowy here. So, no Boston show.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:11 pm
Found a time-lapsed video of the event. Quite a spectacular dance these two had last evening.

Is it just me or at about the 30 second mark, do the shadows on the moon start to look like The Scream? Looks like the man in the moon had a good long howl.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44684000/jpg/_44684056_munch512.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2010 09:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
It was pretty great. I didn't stay out all night (too cold and I had to work today), but I was out around 1:30 a.m. and then again around 4:00 a.m., so I saw the beginning and then about the last quarter.

The animals in the neighbourhood were pretty antsy-pantsy last night.

Awesome in the true sense of the word.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:10 am
full moon last night

it was fabulous

blue shadows on the snow

the boyDog had a lot to say - he wanted to rumble with some local raccoons Confused Shocked Confused
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 10:13 am
Big important full moon on the weekend.

It was some percentage bigger and brighter than usual because of where everybody was in their orbits.

I was up at a friend's farm - we took the dogs out for a walk down the lane around midnight - looked at the big, bright moon, listened to a couple of packs of coyotes howl and howl and howl. Then some of the neighbour dogs joined in on the howl. It was a good night to howl.

One of the packs sounded marvellously like a group of teenage girls giggling. Very funny.

The coyotes are getting closer to the farm since they moved the horses out.

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 12:48 am
big bright white moon tonight.

arooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

missing miss noddy's level headedness...
msolga

Reply Sat 16 Jul, 2011 01:44 am
@Rockhead,
Yes, I'm missing Noddy, too, Rocky.

Sending my greetings to you, Noddy.

Arooooooooo!

http://howlingforjustice.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/howling-at-the-moon.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 08:32 pm
@msolga,
full moon on the 13th

moon already looking big and bold tonight

I wandered around outside with the old boy dog, thinking about Miss Dotty (as the Empress continues to refer to our Noddy - they had a fun relationship) - then came in to read Rocky's news.

arooooooooooooooooooooo ba!

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2011 08:43 pm
Is the moon going towards the full again? No wonder I've been needing to shave twice and day and clip my fingernails at more frequent intervals than normal.
Izzie

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 05:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
I was so hoping I could photograph the moon tonight as a special occasion... but we are cloudy and misty!

won't stop me arooooooooooooooooooooing for our Noddy - was so lovely to see RP's posted pic...

miss her, still talk to her Shocked , ya know... when I gotta something I can't say out loud, mutter a bit, then feel a gentle direction forming in front of me

<sigh>

Holding My Dominion - always! Very Happy

arrrrrooooo for those that need some strength...

0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2011 09:28 pm
big beautiful yellow moon.

baked some frozen french fries for bob, and took my cuppa earl grey out to sit by the pond.

no torches, just the moonlight and me...

no coyotes tonight so far.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:16 pm
Full moon is tomorrow night.

Big gouda-looking moon out there tonight, with a few wispy clouds drifting in front.

Did a coupla mini-howls when I went out with the old girl dog.