@ehBeth,
Quote:
June - Strawberry Moon
The sixth moon of Creation is Strawberry Moon. The
medicine of the strawberry is reconciliation. It was
during this moon cycle that communities usually held
their annual feasts, welcoming everyone home,
regardless of their differences over the past year,
letting go of judgment and/or self-righteousness.

http://www.kanawayhitowin.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=44
Rockhead

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2012 11:01 pm
@ehBeth,
hella big moon tonight.

too many thoughts in my head to speak any of them.

missing miss noddy tonight. big time. bob too.

sending gentle breezes eastward toward the moonshadow....
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:24 pm
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-O28emXSKLvw/UIxkft7tW5I/AAAAAAAAEeI/iNiIVhVm_SA/s1600/Hunter+Moon+10-27-2012.JPG

Hunter’s Moon rises at sunset, shines all night October 29

For much of the world’s Northern Hemisphere, October 29, 2012 is the night of the full Hunter’s Moon. Watch it rise in the east as the sun goes down. Like any full moon, the Hunter’s Moon will shine all night long. It’ll soar highest in the sky around midnight on October 29 and will set in the west the following sunrise. Officially, the Hunter’s Moon is the full moon after the Harvest Moon, which is the full moon nearest the autumnal equinox. This year, the Harvest Moon came in late September. That’s why tonight’s moon in late October bears the name Hunter’s Moon.

Generally speaking, we can say the moon stays full all through the night tonight. But to astronomers, the moon turns full at a well-defined instant, or when it’s most opposite the sun for the month. That happens today at 19:49 Universal Time (or 2:49 p.m. Central Daylight Time in North America).

How is the Hunter’s Moon different from other full moons?

The Hunter’s Moon always occurs in autumn. In the Northern Hemisphere, it usually falls in October, although it can come as late as early November. In the Southern Hemisphere, a full moon with Hunter’s Moon characteristics comes in April or May.

Autumn full moons – like the Hunter’s Moon or Harvest Moon – are different from other full moons. That’s because, in autumn, the ecliptic – or path of the sun, moon and planets – makes a narrow angle with the evening horizon. That fact causes several sky phenomena. For example, the location of the moonrise on your horizon, for several nights around a Northern Hemisphere autumn full moon, is noticeably farther north along the eastern horizon for several nights in succession.

It’s this northward movement of the moon along the eastern horizon at moonrise – for several days in a row, around the time of full moon – that gives the Hunter’s Moon its magic.

These more northerly moonrises assure us of earlier-than-usual moonrises around the time of full moon. On average, the moon rises 50 minutes later daily. But at mid-northern latitudes around now, the moon is rising about 30 to 35 minutes later. And farther north, the effect is even more pronounced. For instance, at latitudes close to the Arctic Circle – like at Fairbanks, Alaska – the moon actually rises around 15 to 20 minutes later for several days in a row.

Meanwhile, in the months of September, October and November as seen from the Southern Hemisphere, it’s springtime. In the spring, there is a particularly long time between successive moonrises, around the time of full moon.

Before the advent of electricity, our ancestors knew how to plan nocturnal activity around the full Hunter’s Moon. If you live sufficiently north on the globe, you can count on tonight’s Hunter’s Moon to bring early evening-till-dawn moonlight for the next several nights!

As autumn full moons, the Harvest and Hunter’s Moons show this seasonal effect, though to a lesser extent than usual around now due to an effect known as minor lunar standstill. Read more: Lunar standstill cycle lessens impact of Harvest and Hunter’s Moons

Bottom line: The 2012 Hunter’s Moon takes place on October 29, 2012. In skylore, the Hunter’s Moon is the full moon after the Harvest Moon, which is the full moon closest to the September equinox. It’s characterized by a shorter-than-usual time between moonrises for several nights in a row around full moon. And you can see that, at each successive moonrise, the moon appears farther north on the horizon.

http://earthsky.org/tonight/hunters-moon-to-rise-as-the-sun-sets-on-october-29
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:34 pm
If you have the time to do so, I highly recommend reading this thread through from the beginning... again, if you already have, and for the first time, if you have not.
Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 01:17 am
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdwJChuupAddXeaJ89bzXIUS8TKB-II3dC5PvI3OI1gqHMb6dW
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:25 am
Beautiful moon last night (this morning)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:17 am
@edgarblythe,
Yes it was.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:19 am
@Butrflynet,
don't re-read it at work unless you are a tougher man than me gunga din
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:17 pm
went out to try and howl tonight
hmmmmmmm
first I nearly got blown off the stoop
then I realized there was no way I could see the moon with this storm system on the go

so I yipped and went back in

and then fought with the screen door to get it shut again

that freaking wind is strong
Rockhead

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 06:19 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll howl for ya.

the moon is huge as it rises in the east.

nary a cloud in the sky...

arooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2012 02:12 am
@ehBeth,
one of the very best things aboot living where I do is that when I go out and do a noddy coyote howl, the coyotes howl back.

at it's peak we were about a dozen strong.

lots of them aboot tonight...

gentle breezes all.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2012 06:32 am
@Rockhead,
My howling wasn't so great on Monday night ... but when I went outside to look at conditions after the power went out, some of the neighbourhood dogs were barking and barking and barking. My dogs didn't bother barking or going outside - they stayed in with Set. Smart dogs.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2012 09:27 pm
Full moon tonight.

This afternoon they buried our Miss Rita. 88 years old and my neighbour for the past 15 years. I have missed her dreadfully the last couple of months while she was in hospital. Every Sunday morning she used to tell me that she'd pray for me and Set and the little dogs.

Miss Rita and Set dearly loved to charm each other. He always complimented her on her elegant wardrobe - she always wore gloves to church and wore beautiful high heels on Sundays until about 2 weeks before she went into the hospital. He made her giggle when he held her hand whenever they greeted each other.

mrs hamburger and Noddy will be great hostesses for Miss Rita.

Rest in peace my friend.

Tonight's howls are for you.
Heatwave

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:23 am
Noddy, I still think about you. I will, always.

Dominion -> held.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 01:44 am
@ehBeth,
got fog tonight to go with the noddy moon. very american werewolf in londony...

me and the coyotes will let one rip for miss rita.

arooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:53 am
@ Heatwave,
Hi Heatwave,

Good to see you. How are things going with you?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2012 11:57 am
@ehBeth,
It sounds like she was a great neighbor and that she and Set were smitten with each other. Must have been fun to watch.

I'm sorry you've both lost that bit of joy in your lives.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Feb, 2013 11:22 pm
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/644538_393342610735032_1832690345_n.jpg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 23 Feb, 2013 07:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
WOW! Awesome!
Izzie

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 04:40 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Beautiful, beautiful moon tonight.

I so miss Noddy...

but I smile whenever I think of her - she's always in my thoughts.