Nuisance phone calls again

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:04 pm
I signed on to the Do Not Call Registry, and when my original sign-up expired I signed to renew. Everything was fine until a couple of days ago when I began to get those annoying phone calls again.

Can anyone give me the number for the Do Not Call Registry so I can get back on track?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,602 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:11 pm
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2007/10/dnctestimony.shtm.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:13 pm
I got the cell registered, but tried twice to register the landline with no result.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:14 pm
1-888-382-1222
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:17 pm
What do you mean by 'no result', tomkitten?

If your calls are coming from political pollsters, non-profits, or companies you already do business with then there's nothing you can do about it beyond signing up for caller id and not taking calls that come through as blocked or from numbers you don't recognize.

I'm getting deluged with political calls that proceed to leave tape recorded messages on my answering machine when I don't take the call. Very annoying!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:20 pm
I mean calls like "Your credit card interest rate is going up" and "consolidate your debts", etc.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:21 pm
But my question now is why did one number register, but not the other?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:24 pm
Did you see a message (online) or get a response (phone) that gave more info than simply the result that your number did not register?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:36 pm
How long ago did you do this for your land line?

I don't think it take effect immediately. May take a few weeks until it filters down.
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:40 pm
If you sign up for those "Win an SUV (or whatever)" lotteries, or sign up to get a **free--no obligation** whatever, or go to Fenway Park (I see you're from Boston) and sign up at that booth that gives you a **free** Sox t-shirt or beach towel, that constitutes "doing business" with whoever is making the offer, and they can deluge you with calls and it's all legal. And they're often credit card purveyors, and sometimes purveyors of multiple credit cards. So be very careful where you give out your phone number, because they're waiting to phone you. And it's all perfectly within the rules.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 03:42 pm
It's okay. For whatever reason, it just took longer for the first number to register.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:25 pm
I have only one nusance telemarketer that illegally continues to call me offering a credit card by using robotic telephone messaging. If you want to hear more you press 1, if you want to be removed from their list you press 2.

I made the mistake of pressing 2 and that let them know there was someone live on that line. They started calling about 3 times a week, sometimes 3 times a day. I tried politely letting them know that they were illegally calling someone on the national Do Not Call registry after asking for the name of their company (I get a different name each time.) They'd hang up as soon as I asked why they were violating the Do Not Call Registry but kept on calling me. Nothing worked. So, I started acting like an interested potential customer, asking all sorts of questions and keeping them on the phone call for as long as 10 minutes before finally saying "now, isn't it annoying to spend all this time on the phone with someone who isn't interested in receiving your marketing call?" It took about 6 of those very long calls before they finally stopped calling because it was a complete waste of their time to do so.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 05:48 pm
Brilliant!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:13 pm
If a live person calls, tell them you are on the Do Not Call Registry and you will sue -- and can you please have their full name so that it can be properly spelled on the subpoena?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 06:31 pm
in canada we STILL do not have a DNC registry ! we've been promised : "it's coming" - yea , but when ?
we have to register with each individual caller if we want DNC !
so i've been getting just a little bit rude lately - i know it doesn't stop the call , but i do feel better - though i do feel a little sorry for the people taking such jobs and probably getting paid very little .
hbg
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:55 pm
The Government can't handle a No Call Registry, and many A2Kers want to turn the entire health care industry over to them??????
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:49 pm
Jim,

I'm not clear on the comparisons you are making. Can you explain how a list of phone numbers for companies to not make unwanted marketing calls to compares to the health care industry?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:59 pm
The DNC registry has been working for me. The unsolicited calls I get, luckily few, are usually political.

I'm not sure re what is non profit or not. I got a call about a week ago from
the Narcotic Officers Association or some such. I said I wasn't interested and hung up. I have gotten, off and on, police officer and firemen's association calls and I've previously thought that those are phony, that the real associations don't make these phone calls.

But, whether they do or not, is that legit re the DNC registry?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:22 am
Butrflynet - I am really surprised at your question. Let me try to explain.

If you go to www.ftc.gov/donotcall you will read the following:

"The Federal Trade Commission, the Federal Communications Commission, and the states are enforcing the National Do Not Call Registry"

The Government says on their website they are enforcing the Do Not Call Registry. Tomkitten has posted they are not doing a very good job of it. Fortunately, it is unlikely anyone will die because the Government is not doing this very well.

The Government did not build or maintain the dikes around New Orleans very well. As a result, people did die.

Are you willing to literally bet your life the Government will run the health care industry any better than they are enforcing the Do Not Call Registry, or maintained the dikes around New Orleans?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 01:58 am
One thing I enjoy particularly about A2K is that a simple quest for information can turn into a nice long thread with tentacles going off in every direction.

You ask your question and never know what twists and turns the responses will take.
0 Replies