1950 One Hundred Dollar Bill

Mr NY 1

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:12 am
Is the 1950 Series B One Hundred Dollar bill worth much more then face value?

It is in Good Condition someone wrote 1,000 on the face of it with a pen, other than that it has no holes, corners are square and it is not very worn.

It is from the Federal Reserve of San Francisco if that means anything to anyone.

The serial number is L04469150A, again not sure if that means anything.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 72,096 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:02 pm
In "circulated" condition, between $100 - $140. In "Uncirculated" condition, i.e. just like new, possibly as much as $175. I would think the writing on it would put the value down to face value or pretty near. Series A though D the same values, but 1950 $100, series E, now that's more like $140 - £210 plus circulated, and $500 plus uncirculated.

see here

http://www.uscurrencyauctions.com/$100notes.htm
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:10 pm
Send it to me. I'll look it over and give you an estimate.
Mr NY 1

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 04:44 pm
Thank you for the information.

I figured it was probably only worth face value, but it was worth the inquiry.

By the way, is it true that there was an equal amount of gold allocated in the US Mint that was there to cover the value of the older currency? What I mean is back in the day a 100 dollar bill was actually backed by real money (gold) equal to the value of the currency?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 12:50 am
If the monetary authority holds sufficient gold to convert all circulating money, then this is known as a 100% reserve gold standard, or a full gold standard. In some cases it is referred to as the Gold Specie Standard to more easily separate it from the other forms of gold standard that have existed at various times. The 100% reserve standard is generally considered unworkable because the quantity of gold in the world is too small a quantity of money to sustain current worldwide economic activity and the "right" quantity of money (i.e. one that avoids either inflation or deflation) is not a fixed quantity, but varies continuously with the level of commercial activity.

The US gold standard, under which it merely promised to redeem notes for gold on demand, was abandoned in 1933.
0 Replies

bernieah

Reply Thu 29 Nov, 2007 07:43 am
1950 Series c 100.00 dollar bill F 03234803 A
The right seal with the 100 printed over it has Washington D.C. and a big 6

The left seal indicates a f in the center Federal reserve Atlanta Georgia.

Does this note have any collectors value?

Stores won't take it because it don't work with their bill marker. I don't expect 1950 paper is the same as the new bills. When did the pen check become active?
0 Replies

F C Cardinale

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2010 02:28 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
A friend has a 1950 E series $100 bill in good shape. He is interested in selling the bill. Do you know any potential buyers? I can mail you an excellent color copy if you are willing to estimate the value. Of course I will need your mailing address to do it. Thanks - Frank Cardinale
0 Replies

dfhanaway

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:47 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
What if that $100 dollar bill says will pay to the bearer on demand?? Theres no marks or anything on this?
0 Replies