Expert on Research Methods

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:19 am
Is there no expert here on research methods?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,006 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:13 am
Jane--

A post on your original thread would probably be more effective in getting answers than posting an independent, cryptic comment.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:37 pm
I responded to your original thread.
0 Replies

Jane Abao

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:51 pm
Now I know
Yes, thanks for responding.

I posted this question [asking if an expert on research methods exists in this site] because I wasn't getting any answer to my original question about number of participants.

Now, I know I can bank on this site for experts.
0 Replies

Jane Abao

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:20 pm
Questionnaire of my own making
I found the questionnaire I was thinking of using for a survey later on flat and not much useful for my purpose although the author had given me permission. Can't I use my own that I have devised?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 11:26 pm
What kinds of questions are you planning on asking? Objective-type questions, like demographics, can be developed by anyone. Subjective questions need to be designed to ensure there is no bias in the way the question is being forwarded. It's hard to do by someone not trained to look for bias and even harder for someone with an interest in the outcome. Survey questions are oftentimes written (or at least reviewed) by an outside source to screen for bias.

This website has a lot of good information on study design and questionnaires.

Quote:
One important way to assure a successful survey is to include other experts and relevant decision-makers in the questionnaire design process. Their suggestions will improve the questionnaire and they will subsequently have more confidence in the results.

Formulate a plan for doing the statistical analysis during the design stage of the project. Know how every question will be analyzed and be prepared to handle missing data. If you cannot specify how you intend to analyze a question or use the information, do not use it in the survey.

Also, from another page at the same website --

Quote:
Question Wording

The wording of a question is extremely important. Researchers strive for objectivity in surveys and, therefore, must be careful not to lead the respondent into giving a desired answer. Unfortunately, the effects of question wording are one of the least understood areas of questionnaire research.

Many investigators have confirmed that slight changes in the way questions are worded can have a significant impact on how people respond. Several authors have reported that minor changes in question wording can produce more than a 25 percent difference in people's opinions.

Several investigators have looked at the effects of modifying adjectives and adverbs. Words like usually, often, sometimes, occasionally, seldom, and rarely are "commonly" used in questionnaires, although it is clear that they do not mean the same thing to all people. Some adjectives have high variability and others have low variability. The following adjectives have highly variable meanings and should be avoided in surveys: a clear mandate, most, numerous, a substantial majority, a minority of, a large proportion of, a significant number of, many, a considerable number of, and several. Other adjectives produce less variability and generally have more shared meaning. These are: lots, almost all, virtually all, nearly all, a majority of, a consensus of, a small number of, not very many of, almost none, hardly any, a couple, and a few.
0 Replies

Jane Abao

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 05:08 pm
Thanks
Thanks, JPB. I will take time to read on these things. You see, one mentor does not a summer make. Hehe!
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2008 07:30 pm
What, exactly do you want to know? What sort of research are you interested in?
0 Replies