Can you identify this old b/w movie with this still?

caramel

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 07:13 pm
I think it must a silent movie just by looking at the camera and the way the people are dressed.

The guy in the trench coat and with a mustache looks like John Gilbert but I can identify the lady next to him.

http://img138.imageshack.us/my.php?image=watersedgeiv1.jpg

P.S. after clicking on the link, clink again on the picture to make it bigger.

This is not an easy one.

Shocked
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,265 • Replies: 19
No top replies

bigredsshop

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 08:58 pm
Looks like someone made one hell f a mess down by Gus's swampland retreat.
I can't help you out with this one though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 7 Nov, 2007 10:15 pm
Looks like a photo of a production company, instead of a scene from a movie.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 05:17 am
Is it true Gilbert had a high, squeaky voice and therefore could not make in talkies
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 09:15 am
Sglass wrote:
Is it true Gilbert had a high, squeaky voice and therefore could not make in talkies

No. Gilbert's voice was fine. He just couldn't adapt to the more naturalistic style of acting that the talkies demanded. Plus he was already descending into irretrievable alcoholism by the time the talkie era arrived.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:15 am
Id say it was from the 30's and foreign.
The 4 people in coats near the midle/left look like the actors, the rest are crew.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:21 am
Enjoyable photo. No idea of what cast and crew. Interesting caps, that could help date it.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:25 am
I google Murnau who directed Nosferatu, he is pictured with similar style cameras so maybe 1920's/30's.The ladies hat on the left is more 1930's.Im thinking the other lady is in character costume and the man in black next to her with the hat with a band look s like the head honcho.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 10:41 am
Re: Can you identify this old b/w movie with this still?
caramel wrote:
..but I can identify the lady next to him.

Is this a riddle or are you really trying to identify the movie?

If so, who is the lady?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:05 am
It looks like early thirties to me, but don't trust me.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 11:30 am
1920s. The tip-off: no sound equipment, just lights and cameras. This is a silent picture shooting on location.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:44 pm
Francis wrote:
caramel wrote:
..but I can identify the lady next to him.

Is this a riddle or are you really trying to identify the movie?

If so, who is the lady?

No it's not a riddle, I'm trying to identify to movie they are shooting. By trying to identify the actors, it will be easier to find out what movie they are shooting.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 03:45 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
1920s. The tip-off: no sound equipment, just lights and cameras. This is a silent picture shooting on location.

That's my guess also. If we can identify the actors it will be easier to find out what movie they are shooting.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 07:27 pm
Where did you get the picture?

There is some really interesting clothing. The guys wearing the molded pants and high laced boots.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:36 pm
Sglass wrote:
Where did you get the picture?

There is some really interesting clothing. The guys wearing the molded pants and high laced boots.

A friend of mine got a pile of movie pictures and he is trying to identify them. This is one of them.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 08:40 pm
I dunno, I have a photo from my father in the early thirties that could make sense with that scene.. Somewhere in the morass. But I'll buy earlier, as I don't personally know earlier. My dad got a job as a cutter somewhere around 1927, and I have little enough info.

I'm not an early film maven, though not at all uninterested.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 01:30 pm
It think I found it. It's the production company of "La Boheme" (1926). The man in the trench coat is John Gilbert, the actress on his left side is Lillian Gish, and the man stading next to her with his hat his director King Vidor.

I have found another still from that picture, you will see that they both have the same hairdoo and Lillian Gish's dress has the same pattern has the one she is wearing in the photo.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/6731/johndo1.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 01:39 pm
Neat!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 09:53 am
caramel wrote:
It think I found it. It's the production company of "La Boheme" (1926). The man in the trench coat is John Gilbert, the actress on his left side is Lillian Gish, and the man stading next to her with his hat his director King Vidor.

I have found another still from that picture, you will see that they both have the same hairdoo and Lillian Gish's dress has the same pattern has the one she is wearing in the photo.

Well, that's possible. I've never seen Vidor's La Boheme, so I can't tell you it's definitely not that. But if there was ever a story that shouldn't have a scene in the woods next to a pond, it's La Boheme, which is all about Parisian garrets and cafes and urban life. On the other hand, one of the reviewers on IMDb talks about a scene where Gilbert and Gish "romp through the woods on a spring day," so you may very well be right.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2007 05:34 pm
The one you tenatively id'd as King Vidor looks a little like Edward G. Robinson.
0 Replies