Mixed Methods Study Number of Participants

Reply Tue 6 Nov, 2007 09:58 pm
If one is engaged in a mixed methods study where the qualitative part comes first before the quantitative part, what is a good number of participants that would allow me the shortest time possible to finish the work?

I would like to study teacher collaboration in four high schools and school districts. Definitely 5 teachers per high school or a total of 20 is even more than enough for a qualitative part.

My question is, granting that all of them would want to participate in the quantitative part later on, is 20 enough for a quantitative part of the study for findings to be generalized?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 932 • Replies: 4
No top replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 01:35 pm
Jane, determining statistically valid sampling sizes is one of the greatest development tasks in study design. Before you can determine the proper sample sizes you have to identify exactly what statistical metrics and analyses you plan on performing. You have somehow come to the conclusion that a sample of 5 (n) teachers from 4 (m) schools is "more than enough for the qualitative part." How did you reach this conclusion, what metrics are you collecting, and what comparisons are you looking to make? If you are wanting to look at within school variations averaged over 4 four schools then I'm not sure 5 per school is sufficient. If you are looking at between school variations taken as an average of the four schools then I'm not sure that 4 schools are sufficient.

Also, if you are planning on doing a statistical analysis you need to take your willingness to be wrong in your conclusions (Type I error) into account in your sample size calculations.
0 Replies

Jane Abao

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 07:43 pm
Blessed
Oh, I'm so blessed I found you here. With your questions, I feel I need to do more reading then. Thanks, and please bear with me. I'll be posting more questions.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 08:18 pm
You lucked out, Jane, and welcome, by the way, to a2k.

JPB is the person here who know most about these matters, unless someone else has been hiding a candle.
0 Replies

Jane Abao

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2007 09:16 pm
Use of Questionnaire
I bought a book on a topic I am interested in. I found in this book a questionnaire -sort of group member skills checklist. The questionnaire was not used in any research, or else the author would have said so. I wanted to test it by way of utilizing it in a research survey.

I could not contact the author, however. Just below the questionnaire, there is a liner from the Press that says, "All rights reserved." It also says, "Reproduction authorized only for the local school site or nonprofit organization that has purchased this book."

Well, I bought this book directly from the Press even. And since the author had assigned all rights to the press, I guess I could use the questionnaire - but acknowledging the author and the press. Am I correct?
0 Replies