Australia used to be my favorite country...

margo

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
beowulf the mighty wrote:
what are the Oz people i am confused so will you please clarify this for me.

Australia is often referred to as Oz on this site! See the topic of this thread!

However, we're Aussies, not Ozzies! Confused yet? If not, you're not trying.

Welcome to A2K, btw!
0 Replies

acacia

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:06 am
Re: Australia used to be my favorite country...
Craven de Kere wrote:
The participation in the upcoming Coral Sea exercises was the last straw. Now you guys are helping America undermine international law.

Sad, I used to really like Oz.

Why do you just criticise us for it when there are 11 nations that were in volved in the exercises?

And i guess the americans were wrong in doing the same to the russians in the cuba missile crices, wasnt that for the safety of america to stop the russians from putting WMD right next door to america!

We have to do this its a matter of our security, just like back then it was a matter of your security.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:21 am
acacia, welcome. Good Aussie name.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:56 am
Re: Australia used to be my favorite country...
acacia wrote:

We have to do this its a matter of our security, just like back then it was a matter of your security.

I think it was wrong back then. The US instituted a naval blockade of Cuba. That is an act of war. The US was much much more in the wrong back then. Cuba and the USSR had every right to have nukes there. The US had nukes in the USSR's backyard.

What the US did to Cuba in the missle crisis was one of the clearest US breaches of sovereignty the US has made.

Frankly, I do not think this is a matter of "security" for Australia. I think it has a lot more to do with Australia being a psychophant to the US.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 05:58 am
'Scuse my ignorance on this matter, but are New Zealand or Britain in on all of this? I live in one but have given serious thought of emmigrating to the other (restrictive immigration policy notwithstanding)...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:31 am
And a sycophant even!

I doubt NZ is in on this, GD. They have steered a very independent course - even being pretty much kicked out of ANZUS because they have a non-nuclear policy, and hence would not allow US nuclear powered ships into their waters. Since the US will not identify whether a number of submarines, for instance, are nuclear or not, this meant effectively stopping US navy harbour use. The US got very angry - put a lot of pressure on - but NZ stayed firm. They did not join in the Iraq thing either.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:38 am
Thanks, D. Fair play to NZ in my opinion. At least someone has the guts to stand up to the US (apart from NK, that is!).

If the US & Oz were involved then I assume GB had given its approval, even if not directly involved.

PS. Any opinions D on NZ as a possible residence? I thought about Oz but you've got too much sun & too many wee beasties for my liking!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:57 am
New Zealand is good if you want to be in a truly independent country that won't take any crap from the US. We on the other hand are the fifty something state.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:00 am
New Zealand has no nukes because the radiation makes the sheep taste funny.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:02 am
cavfancier wrote:
New Zealand has no nukes because the radiation makes the sheep taste funny.

On the other hand, if they glow green, they will be easier to find in the dark Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:04 am
And let's not take that joke any further. Laughing
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:06 am
And what is there further down for this joke ?<perfectly innocent, angelic look>
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:07 am
Gautam wrote:
<perfectly innocent, angelic look>

didn't know you was actually capable of doing one of those. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:08 am
GD - I doubt of the US asks approval from Britain when it is thinking of doing stuff in Asia! Doubtless, such things are discussed with their closest ally, with a military worth mentioning, though.

Wilso - hmmmmm - NZ often feels like OUR 7th state!

I have never been there - but I think it is a politically and socially progressive country again - after a nasty sojourn with "Piggy" Muldoon as Prime Minister. It certainly steers a very independent course - and is far more a South Pacific nation than we are - having had to contend with a very aggressive, militaristic Maori population, who fought them to the treaty table at colonization - and are very strong in demanding those rights given at treaty be honoured. They also have quite a large Samoan population.

It is greener and softer than Oz - more like a weeny Britain. Wonderful, spectacular, country.

Suffers a bit from being so close to Oz - a bit like Canada does re the US - there is a strong migration flow from NZ to here - so much so, that we have just stopped according them automatic Social Security rights etc.
0 Replies