Where does philosophy come from?

coberst

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 04:01 am

Western philosophy emerged in the sixth century BC along the Ionian coast. A small group of scientist-philosophers began writing about their attempts to develop "rational" accounts regarding human experience. These early Pre-Socratic thinkers thought that they were dealing with fundamental elements of nature.

It is natural for humans to seek knowledge. In the "Metaphysics" Aristotle wrote "All men by nature desire to know".

The attempt to seek knowledge presupposes that the world unfolds in a systematic pattern and that we can gain knowledge of that unfolding. Cognitive science identifies several ideas that seem to come naturally to us and labels such ideas as "Folk Theories".

The Folk Theory of the Intelligibility of the World
The world makes systematic sense, and we can gain knowledge of it.

The Folk Theory of General Kinds
Every particular thing is a kind of thing.

The Folk Theory of Essences
Every entity has an "essence" or "nature," that is, a collection of properties that makes it the kind of thing it is and that is the causal source of its natural behavior.

The consequences of the two theories of kinds and essences is:

The Foundational Assumption of Metaphysics
Kinds exist and are defined by essences.

We may not want our friends to know this fact but we are all metaphysicians. We, in fact, assume that things have a nature thereby we are led by the metaphysical impulse to seek knowledge at various levels of reality.

Cognitive science has uncovered these ideas they have labeled as Folk Theories. Such theories when compared to sophisticated philosophical theories are like comparing mountain music with classical music. Such theories seem to come naturally to human consciousness.

The information comes primarily from "Philosophy in the Flesh" by Lakoff and Johnson.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 666 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 04:24 am
Is that you posting your monologues over on the PRT? Very Happy
0 Replies

VSPrasad

Reply Thu 8 Nov, 2007 10:20 pm
The Rg Veda is now accepted to be 8000 years old. The Upanishads are
philosophical books of the Vedas. Many of them are dated to be 3000
years old by western scholars.

The Hindu Puranas say that the Vedas and the Upanishads were written
during Kritha Yuga (Golden Age) some 4 billions of years ago.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2007 09:42 am
Re: Where does philosophy come from?
coberst wrote:

Western philosophy emerged in the sixth century BC along the Ionian coast. A small group of scientist-philosophers began writing about their attempts to develop "rational" accounts regarding human experience. These early Pre-Socratic thinkers thought that they were dealing with fundamental elements of nature.

This is an oversimplification I think. Those are the first instances of Western philosophy which was put down in writing, perhaps, but that most certainly doesn not include any oral traditions. One might even argue that the first nature religions were generated as a response to several philosophical issues no one had an answer for. (Eg. What is the meaning of life? Why is there hunger? etc.)
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 04:39 am
contrex wrote:

Why do you ask?

(Since you were such a smart-ass in your posting I had to fight back the urge to reply in kind. Nevertheless, answer my question and reveal you are other than a Smart Ass.)
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 05:10 am
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
contrex wrote:

Why do you ask?

(Since you were such a smart-ass in your posting I had to fight back the urge to reply in kind. Nevertheless, answer my question and reveal you are other than a Smart Ass.)

I asked because I want to know the answer. What is "smart-ass" about my question? (I'd rather be "smart-ass" than "dumb-ass").
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 10:57 pm
contrex wrote:
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
contrex wrote:

Why do you ask?

I asked because I want to know the answer. What is "smart-ass" about my question? (I'd rather be "smart-ass" than "dumb-ass").

Smart ass in the sense that you, intentionally, have answered your own question.

You don't want an answer --- you've already supplied yourself with one.

If you wish to make a philosophical assertion...do so.

Spare us the transparent artifice of posing a question you answer with your query.

Continue to do so and you have the unique capability of being a smart-ass and a dumb-ass.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 1 Dec, 2007 04:49 pm
I don't think anyone can know where philosophy came from. We can only know where philosophic texts came from.

I think philosophy is as old as mankind itself, and the best answer to where it comes from is perhaps: from the curiousity of our hearts and minds.
0 Replies