Anyone here ever train martial arts

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 11:33 am
I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under the Gracie family when I have the time as they are friends. Anyone train in the MA's or atleast watch UFC or Pride?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,028 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 11:49 am
i've lived in Brazil but never did get around to the J.J. as it had an "underworld" aspect to it there.

At one party one of the Grcie clan killed another person (I don't remember if it was with a gun or knife) and JJ is the closest Brazil gets to a gang-style underworld.

I have heard that the US military has adopted this discipline.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:22 pm
Yes the military have a interesting belt system although their instructors are only blue belts at best. If you ever remember which Gracie that was please PM me. They are good people I actually grew up training to one day be as good as Rickson. The gracies I know hate guns but the family is extensively large. Ryan was actually here the other day come to think of it lol. It does have a huge underground after all Pride is paid for by the yakuza but that doesn't mean it's not legit (I'm not saying that's what you mean) Anyway it's a good way to stay in shape and the Gracies are amazing ppl as well as the Machado brothers.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:38 pm
I took up Judo about 40 years ago but work got in the way. My dad who was in the British Army tought me self defence and how to apply certain moves and holds, particularly nerve holds in the shoulders and thighs that can disable very quickly. He also taught me how to attack by using leverage holds on the arms & legs. Not strictly martial arts but affective. Oh and a quick kick in the balls can slow someone down.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 12:52 pm
I train for NHB and have been very successful, it's not all MA as I train BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing all but am not a violent person it's just a way to release. I myself never found military training taught me ,uch but then again I have been doing BJJ since I was very young.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:17 pm
It was Ryan Gracie, he's a complete ass.

Here is a text from a new article that I ran through a translator (I don't wanna do it by hand).

http://www.estado.estadao.com.br/edicao/pano/00/02/15/cid848.html wrote:
Wednesday,
16 of February of 2000
Fighter of jiu-jítsu denies to have attacked student in boate

To the policy, Ryan Gracie said to have defended youngster of the group of Marcus Vinícius of the Rose

MAYAN ANDREIA

RIVER - judoca Ryan Gracie, of 25 years, denied to have esfaqueado student Marcus Vinícius Marins of the Rose, of 26 years, in the sunday to the night, the nocturnal house Island of the Fancy, in the Bar of the Tijuca, the zone west. It gave deposition yesterday to the afternoon, in Chefia de Civil Polícia, to the bearer of the police station Bar, Salty Napoleão, that investigates the case. Ryan said that the group of Marcus Vinícius tried to attack a youngster and it she tried to defend the young.

Ryan arrived to put down with the father, Robson Gracie, president of the State Federacy of Jiu-Jítsu. It asked for that the son was not heard in the police station of the Bar. According to it, Ryan is being threatened of death for friends of Marcus Vinícius. It said the commission agent that he had information of that the student would only have linking with a known dealer as Robson, who deferred payment in the Méier, in the zone north. The information will be investigated by the policy.

The youngster also denied that he had attacked with one I beat Maurício Tadeu Sheep of Rasp, the Saddam, of 30 years, president of Carioca Liga of Jiu-Jítsu. Ryan affirmed that Rasp offended its family and it called it "flabby". Irritated, judoca said that it pushed Rasp. The youngster suffered one cut in the language, after to receive one beats.

Rose continues interned, in comment. It passes well and will have to receive high in the next days. The student will be heard by the policy. Seven young, freqüentadores of the nocturnal house, already had given deposition. They had not known to count as the confusion started, but they had affirmed that Rosa and Ryan if had come alongside and been separate for colleagues.

It is not the first time that Ryan if involves in fight. Fighter of jiu-jítsu since the 12 years, the youngster already participated of other confusions in nocturnal houses. In 1992, it was accused - with others five fighters - to invade a party in the Topsail, where they had stolen objects of the house and money. In the passed year, it he fought with the world-wide champion of Vale-Tudo, Wallid Ismail, during a competition. The Gracie family popularized jiu-jítsu in Brazil. The pioneer was the grandfather of the youngster, who taught the art to the 21 children.

The text below won't translate well because it's from a discussion list and has many typos but what they are saying is that Ryan got his butt kicked by an 18 year old and then stabbed him in the back 3 times with scissors:

Quote:
Ryam Gracie fez mais uma das suas ,e esta eu vi ,ninguem me falou !!!!Ontem ,rolou em garopaba o carnaval eletronico e Ryan estava la e se ele esta ,a confusao esta feita. Apos provocar bastante gente ,ele acabou apanhando de um guri de 18 anos ,que na hora que eu vi ,estava montado nele. Apos separarem a briga ,vejo ele e mais alguns marrentinhos gritando e fazendo pressao. De repente eles juntaram varios ,da mesma estirpe dele e foram para cima de Fabio Piemonte ,que pertence ao grupo chute boxe.Mas isso nao é nada ,quando eu vejo ,o Ryam com uma tesourinha (daquelas para dechavar skank) na mao e quando treis covardes foram para cima do Fabio ,o Ryam veio por tras e fez treis furos com esta tesoura nas costas do Fabio. Esta semana muita coisa vai rolar e eu acho que no Pride do dia 23 ,o bicho vai pegar pro lado do marginalzinho.Podem saber que isso nao ficara assim ,mas ontem pude constatar o mal caratismo de Ryam e seus comparsas. Esta semana escreverei mais ,se souberem de mais notícias escrevam tambem.

o ryan e os caras da barra que andam com ele são assim, drogados e despreparados por isso só andam em bando promovendo a covardia!

O Ryan sempre foi encrencreiro, mas eu conheço o cara e pelo menos eu, não tenho nada para falar contra ele, o cara sempre foi legal comigo, e as brigas que eu ví ele participar, que foram bem poucas, foi por que o provocaram, mas também não nego que o cara não fez essa fama a toa.

Porém, muito pior que o Ryan são esses babacas que pegam faixa azul ou roxa e saem por aí querendo apavorar e quando estão sozinhos mal olham para cima, esse jiu jitsu está ficando uma merda, só tem babaca, tenho até vergonha de falar que treino

Concordo com vc Paco...da ate vergonha,mas acho que o Ryan precisa levar uma surra daquelas,o cara e mto mimado,nunca vi isso,tem que se controlar mais,depois apanha de neguinho da minha idade e fica feio pra ele,hehe,um cara que ja lutou no pride contra o sakuraba,levar um pau de um carinha de 18 anos!

essa historia está sem fundamentos derepente o Sr. Ryan Gracie do nada ataca um pobre garoto de 18 anos e ainda leva a pior, depois se junta com sua turma e mete a tesoura em outro que estava por ali, mas sem ter nada com a parada, perai meu amigo sei que o Ryan é encrenqueiro, mas tenho certeza que ele não iria enfiar a tesoura num cara que não fez nada para ele e a respeito do tal garoto, que coisa um garotinho inocente enfiar a porrada e ainda montar no Ryan é de se duvidar que ele tinha fama de bater em leigo eu ja sabia, mas apanhar dele é a primeira vez.
Obs : será que o garotinho é tão inocente assim ?

Em momento algum ,falei em meu texto que era um guri inocente ,ele treina na chuteboxe ,mas tem 18 anos.Ele pediu um tapa de lança para o ryan e o Ryan mandou ele se foder.Só que o marginal já tinha batido boca com várias pessoas durante a festa. E qto a ele juntar um momte de gente e enfiar a tesoura no Fabio ,eu vi ,ninguem me falou ,por tanto aconteceu!Agora ,esperem as cenas dos próximos capítulos ,vai ser sinistro !! abraço a todos

Por conhecer pessoalmente o Ryan, posso afirmar com conviccão...O ryan é um merda! Quem realmente o conhece sabe disso...SAUDACOES COLORADAS!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 01:22 pm
Hmm...I studied Shaolin Kung Fu, and a little bit of Judo, and Kobudo, briefly, but none to any real proficency, although I did win a Judo tournament as a lad. I found I was better at Jedi mind tricks than physical conflict. It has served me well.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 07:54 pm
Ryan has a temper that he needs help to control. He is a good guy it's just the temper. I'm not saying what he did was right I'm saying he has problems. He needs to learn from Rickson "fighting is an art" I have beaten Ryan when rolling but since I am concidered family "and am of brazilian blood if you go many many generations back" I don't think he would harm me...altho Royler is always there when we roll lol. He was not charged with either crime from what I see so how are we sure it's not a tactic of slander since everyone knows his temper? please correct me if I am wrong.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:21 pm
I'm not sure. I am not even sure that I found articles for the incident I was talking about. I don't follow the news on martial art atheletes very closely.
0 Replies

zeroh

Reply Wed 4 Jul, 2007 09:36 pm
I train in Muay Thai and TKD. I have a fight next weekend.
0 Replies

southerngentleman

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 02:43 pm
I did TKD when I was younger. Its something I would love to get back into for the exercise.
0 Replies