editing of short passage for Grade 3 students

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 07:48 am
Hi

Could someone please go through the short passage and correct it for me? Thank you very much.

If we want to be healthy, we must eat healthy food, exercise and sleep well. We must have a balanced diet. For protein, we must eat fish and meat. Rice, fruit and vegetables are rich in carbohydrates.

We also need to exercise if we want to be healthy. Strolling is a good form of exercise. It is suitable for everybody. Jogging is good for improving our stamina and strengthening the body. However, it is good for youngsters, not for the elderly. Swimming is a good form of exercise, but we have to learn to swim before it can bring us benefit. It does not overstrain the body and yet every muscle of our body is exercised.

Tai Chi is good for the elderly. It is good for the health and promote blood circulation.. Karate and Taekwon-do keep us fit and are also for self defence. Dancing is also good for exercise and keeps us healthy. It also promotes gracefulness.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,162 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:24 am
Here is how I'd change it:

If we want to be healthy, we must exercise, sleep well, and eat healthy food. Walking and Tai Chi are two forms of exercise that most anyone can do. Tai Chi is good for our health and promotes blood circulation. Karate and Taekwon-do keep us fit and are also useful for self-defense. Dancing is good exercise and also promotes gracefulness. Jogging is good for improving stamina and strengthening the body. Swimming is low-impact, yet every muscle of our body is exercised. [there should be something about sleeping well here] We must have a balanced diet. For protein, we must eat fish and meat. Rice, fruit and vegetables are rich in carbohydrates.

There are other ways to get protein, too, but I left that alone.

While your first sentence is grammatically correct, I changed the wording to eliminate any possible misunderstanding about whether we should eat healthy exercise...

"Strolling" is a bit obscure -- I changed it to "walking."

Removed the line about younger/ elderly -- depending on your definition of "elderly" (over 55?), lots of "elderly" people can and DO jog. That sentence also just seemed extraneous.

"Overstrain" was awkward, I replaced that section with "low-impact."

Let me know if you have other questions.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:45 am
Thanks, Sozobe, for your prompt response. I would like to let you know that I appreciate your editing of the passage very much.

However, the passage is meant for Grade 3 students. That's why I use simple sentences.

However, I would like to say 'Thanks' once more for the thorough editing. attention.

Best wishes.
0 Replies

Yoong Liat

Reply Sat 3 Nov, 2007 08:46 am
Thanks, Sozobe, for your prompt response. I would like to let you know that I appreciate your editing of the passage very much.

However, the passage is meant for Grade 3 students. That's why I use simple sentences.

However, I would like to say 'Thanks' once more for your help.

Best wishes.
0 Replies