What is Religion?

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 04:33 pm
Gilbey, I think you just described a legal system more than a religion. Welcome, btw.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 03:15 pm
how could a "cultural embodiment of social values" be so inspiring to so many people?

perhaps you take everything religion is, then ignore every part of it you think is b.s., and what's left over from that, you say is a "cultural embodiment of social values." okay, so that's what it is to you, but i think it's obviously more. that's not to say it makes religion "real."

even in the bible, it's suggested that religion can only be what you make of it. in that sense, you're right, but only so far as you're talking to yourself. okay, but we're all right, if those are the rules we're playing by.

i don't expect you, or anyone, to accept religion, let alone at face value. but to say that all it is, in its entirety, is merely what it is to you... that's kind of egotistical, no? but i don't think it's egotistical to think there is no god. i think atheism is noble until it becomes arrogant. at that point, it's no better than another belief.
0 Replies