What is Religion?

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:19 pm
I was having a discussion with some friends recently, and we came across the topic of trying to define religion, and the difficulty that it entails.

How do you define religion, and how do you decide what qualifies and what doesn't?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,055 • Replies: 41
No top replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:23 pm
a system of beliefs centered around divine presence
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:44 pm
Doesn't that just shift the problem of abstract definition to the word "divine" though?
0 Replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:46 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
Doesn't that just shift the problem of abstract definition to the word "divine" though?

how so? Divine just means above Mortal form... I beleive most if not all religions worship or recognize some sort of divine being/beings
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:54 pm
Your definition excludes things like humanism and Buddhism, but includes things like a belief in ghosts or esp. Are you ok with that?
0 Replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 01:58 pm
fungotheclown wrote:
Your definition excludes things like humanism and Buddhism, but includes things like a belief in ghosts or esp. Are you ok with that?

Buddhists beleive in a Divine creator... they do not have a formal name like most but the belief is there.. they're view of enlightenment could also be seen as becoming divine... more then human...

and yes Im ok with it including things like Ghosts and ESP Smile Im Pagan after all Wink
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:07 pm
Many pursuits qualify as religion.
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:32 pm
pursuits? could you provide examples please?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:45 pm
Religions are successful cults.
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:53 pm
Religion is a practice that has separated man from God. Religion has filled the hearts of man with fear of God. It commands humans to adore God, when once we adored God because it was impossible not to do.
Religion creates disunity which is the opposite of God. Religion orders man to bow down before God, when once we reached upwards to God. It teaches us that we need an intermediary in order to reach God. What happened to reaching God by simple living of your life in goodness and truth?
People believe in religion because they can't think for themselves. It's always easier to have someone else think for us.
0 Replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:54 pm
au1929 wrote:
Religions are successful cults.

hah that too!
0 Replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:55 pm
bellsybop wrote:
Religion is a practice that has separated man from God. Religion has filled the hearts of man with fear of God. It commands humans to adore God, when once we adored God because it was impossible not to do.
Religion creates disunity which is the opposite of God. Religion orders man to bow down before God, when once we reached upwards to God. It teaches us that we need an intermediary in order to reach God. What happened to reaching God by simple living of your life in goodness and truth?
People believe in religion because they can't think for themselves. It's always easier to have someone else think for us.

thats not quite true of all religions Bellsy Wink
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:56 pm
13thCoven wrote:
bellsybop wrote:

Embarrassed (My opinion of Christianity Cov, not Pagans)
you know me better than that :wink:
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 03:02 pm
I cant do better than Christopher Hitchens definition

Quote:
Monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay, of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents.
[/b][/color]
0 Replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 03:08 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

Quote:
Monotheistic religion is a plagiarism of a plagiarism of a hearsay, of an illusion, extending all the way back to a fabrication of a few nonevents.
[/b][/color]

I like that!
0 Replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 03:16 pm
bellsybop wrote:
13thCoven wrote:
bellsybop wrote:

Embarrassed (My opinion of Christianity Cov, not Pagans)
you know me better than that :wink:

I know....Im just pointing out the obvious for those not accustomed to the old ways Smile
0 Replies

13thCoven

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 03:16 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:

Quote:
[/b][/color]

heh!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 05:54 pm
neologist wrote:
Many pursuits qualify as religion.
Here is an obvious one: Patriotism.

If you don't believe it is a religion, try publicly burning your country's flag.
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:47 pm
neologist, it sounds like you want to define religion as anything people are passionate about. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. I'm passionate about lots of things, but I don't think many, if any, deserve the title of religion.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 10:19 pm
i dunno if it's literally true, but neo's response was amusing enough, and close enough to true for a thread about religion.
0 Replies