Six Month House Swap (UK)

Doowop

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:44 am
Are you tired of endless blue skies? Sundrenched beaches? Daffodils popping their heads up to greet the spring? Hot, dry days that go on and on and on?

If so, why not swap houses with me in the UK for six months, so that you can do winter all over again.

Think of the advantages to taking me up on this idea.

1.The distinct possibility of a white Christmas.

2.Keeping yourself fit, re-decorating my kitchen and living room while you're here.

3.Making friends and looking after my 15 year old moth bitten cat called Gassius (for reasons that will become apparent).

4. Learning how to bribe the local hoodies, so that they won't burn your hire car.

5. Enjoying the sights of the nearby coalpits, scrapyards and other famous attractions.

6. Looking out of the window and staring in wonder at the dark grey thunderclouds as they whip across on the leftover gusts from the fortnightly hurricane.

7. Spending your money in the many closing down sales at the mall.

8. Spending the occasional afternoon strolling along the beach with a bucket, in oder to collect stray bits of coal for your evening fire.

9. Experiencing the thrill of wearing two layers of longjohns in order to prevent the biting wind from forcing your testes to retreat up into your lower abdominal cavity.

and 10. Enjoying a nice, warm, flat beer in the almost empty local pub, whilst the barman casts a steely gaze in your direction and bangs on about bloody foreigners.

All in all, an unforgettable experience, as I'm sure you'll agree.

In return, and as compensation for me having to give up all these things, I only ask that you:

1. Are the owner of a nice house (preferably a beach house) near the coast.

2. Leave your garage well stocked with beer, wine and plenty of prawns for the barbie.

3. A full tank of petrol in your car.

4. Arrange for a cleaner to come and "do" once a week.

and 5. A fully stocked and fuelled up cabin cruiser to be left moored at your jetty, for when I want to go and drink chilled beer and fish for marlin.

I don't want to raise anyone's hopes too much on this offer, so it's a case of "first come, first served".

And please don't all try to post your applications at once, as you may clog up the website.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,439 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 08:33 am
Do you have indoor plumbing?

I'm not in Australia, but I would insist on an outhouse.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:07 am
Why, but of course I have indoor plumbing. Well, if you count the hose that comes in through the kitchen window as plumbing, that is.

I'm surprised that there have been no Aussie takers as yet, but am optomistic and am planning on going to buy my Union Jack speedos today, along with a pair of Raybans.

In an effort to sweeten the deal, I'm prepared to throw in my next door neighbour, who said she's willing to make a large stotty cake and leave it in my pantry. She'll also go and collect coal for you if you get snowed in.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 04:44 am
We have a beautiful camp in lovely seaside MAine. It faces the lovely St Croix and opens to the tropical "Bay of Fundy".
The only drawback is that youd have to get an RV because the only thing it has is a gravel road, a large cement patio, electricity, wa well, and cable TV hookups. Just bring an RV. The bears should be hibernating and the moose dont eat much, just dont call em fat.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 31 Oct, 2007 05:13 am
What to do, what to do?

Both sound so inviting.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 02:34 am
It's strange that no-one from the southern hemisphere is replying to this wonderful opportunity.

OK then, a final, FINAL offer.

A discount card (three for two) at Ali's Turkish Pleasure Parlour, on Clegg Street.
It's very much like your average house of fun, but you get an "all you can eat" mezza while you're waiting. Avoid the lamb in vine leaves though, as it has been known to cause chronic flatulence.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 05:20 pm
I'd take you up doowop but we are 6 hours from any beaches and too far south for marlin. My across the road neighbour's name is Marleen will that do?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 06:27 pm
Re: Six Month House Swap (UK)
Doowop wrote:
..why not swap houses with me in the UK for six months, so that you can do winter all over again.

Think of the advantages to taking me up on this idea.

1.The distinct possibility of a white Christmas.

2.Keeping yourself fit, re-decorating my kitchen and living room while you're here.

3.Making friends and looking after my 15 year old moth bitten cat called Gassius (for reasons that will become apparent).

4. Learning how to bribe the local hoodies, so that they won't burn your hire car.

5. Enjoying the sights of the nearby coalpits, scrapyards and other famous attractions.

6. Looking out of the window and staring in wonder at the dark grey thunderclouds as they whip across on the leftover gusts from the fortnightly hurricane.

7. Spending your money in the many closing down sales at the mall.

8. Spending the occasional afternoon strolling along the beach with a bucket, in oder to collect stray bits of coal for your evening fire.

9. Experiencing the thrill of wearing two layers of longjohns in order to prevent the biting wind from forcing your testes to retreat up into your lower abdominal cavity.

and 10. Enjoying a nice, warm, flat beer in the almost empty local pub, whilst the barman casts a steely gaze in your direction and bangs on about bloody foreigners.

All in all, an unforgettable experience, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Laughing

You make the idea sound so appealing, Doowop!

I'm sorely tempted, I can tell you!

Wow!Very Happy

But ....

Too bad I live nowhere near the beach & my little terrace house is probably just about the ideal size to accomodate Gassius ... on his own, I mean ...

Apart from that, it sounds like it could be a mutually advantageous arrangement!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 07:26 pm
Winter? I 'pffffft!' at your temperate winters......
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:26 pm
Just where is this especially inviting place?

My place would be ideal! It's not far from (a backwater of) the famed Sydney Harbour. There's a wharf at the end of the road (used by Sydney Ferries exclusively) and a boat shed next door where you can hire a tinny. I haven't heard any reports of marlin in the harbour, but there are sharks (not seen by me - so far)

Here's my general vicinity. http://www.sydneyferries.info/uploads/file/docs/harbourwalks/Abbotsford.pdf

When can you come?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 08:47 pm
I agree with lil k . We, on the ECoast, enjoy the full brunt of 4 seasons. Each has its own draw and , when we are finally tired of it being too hot, too cold, we can always yearn for the mild seasons of change, spring and fall.
0 Replies

Doowop

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 05:41 am
margo wrote:

My place would be ideal! It's not far from (a backwater of) the famed Sydney Harbour. There's a wharf at the end of the road (used by Sydney Ferries exclusively) and a boat shed next door where you can hire a tinny. I haven't heard any reports of marlin in the harbour, but there are sharks (not seen by me - so far)

Here's my general vicinity. http://www.sydneyferries.info/uploads/file/docs/harbourwalks/Abbotsford.pdf

When can you come?

A taker! A taker!

I've booked a super economy saver flight that arrives at somewhere called Moondarrabamagor areodrome at approxiamtely 5pm on the 3rd.

Can you pick me up?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:46 am
Doowop wrote:
margo wrote:

When can you come?

A taker! A taker!

I've booked a super economy saver flight that arrives at somewhere called Moondarrabamagor areodrome at approxiamtely 5pm on the 3rd.

Can you pick me up?

Moondarrabamagor areodrome is quite close to me DW. I'll be there. The only thing is Its a hell of a long way to Margo's from here. I'd say its a 2 slab trip.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:47 am
I llive in Boganville North so I'm buggered.

But you could always look after the Torana that's on blocks in the front of me house. I could fix you up with Shaz or Kez or both of them if you're that way inclined. I'd give you me season ticket to the cricket if I had one (usually I just hop in over the back gate when the security blokes are off taking a leak or grabbing a beer). You wouldn't have to worry about gardening, but if ya come home pissed from the pub just be careful not to walk into the Torana on blocks, it's bloody hard to see in the daytime cos of the kikuyu grass in the front yard, you'd be stuffed at night with a skinful coming home. If ya sue me ya bastard I'll get me legal aid lawyer onto ya.

Very Happy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 06:53 am
Bugger me Its goodfielder Shocked

Hows it hanging bloke?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:15 am
Goodfielder!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 03:53 pm
Goodfielder #3!! Laughing

Lovely to see you here! Very Happy
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 08:19 pm
Yeehaah!

Goodfielder. Where ya been!

I've not heard from dapdad or doowop - so I presume they're on the way - a 2-slab trip? Could be a while!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 08:55 pm
All I can figger is that a slab is a six-pack of beer. Yes or no?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2007 10:29 pm
goodfielder wrote:
I llive in Boganville North so I'm buggered.

But you could always look after the Torana that's on blocks in the front of me house. I could fix you up with Shaz or Kez or both of them if you're that way inclined. I'd give you me season ticket to the cricket if I had one (usually I just hop in over the back gate when the security blokes are off taking a leak or grabbing a beer). You wouldn't have to worry about gardening, but if ya come home pissed from the pub just be careful not to walk into the Torana on blocks, it's bloody hard to see in the daytime cos of the kikuyu grass in the front yard, you'd be stuffed at night with a skinful coming home. If ya sue me ya bastard I'll get me legal aid lawyer onto ya.

Very Happy

GOODFIELDER!!!
0 Replies