Let’s give virtue a hand

coberst

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 06:51 am
Virtue, according to John Dewey, is "Every natural capacity, every talent or ability, whether of inquiring mind, of gentle affection, or of executive skill, becomes a virtue when it is turned to account in supporting or extending the fabric of social values". In other words, the virtuous person is s/he who directs a personal talent toward the betterment of the community.I think that society needs to reevaluate our value systems in order to create a consensus about how to reevaluate our value systems, i.e. we need to make social scientists our new BMOCs. What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 769 • Replies: 8
No top replies

fresco

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:48 am
Quote:
I think that society needs to reevaluate our value systems in order to create a consensus about how to reevaluate our value systems, i.e. we need to make social scientists our new BMOCs. What do you think?

Vacuous prescriptive rubbish !

All you are saying is that in your opinion, academic merit is the equivalent of "virtue". The statistics of "IQ" mitigate against this ever being the majority view !
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:53 am
I thought it hilarious that society were to re-evaluate the value systems in order to determine how to re-evaluate the value systems. If the current value systems were inadequate, why would one operate on a premise that said value systems would provide the means by which to determine how to re-evaluate themselves.

Rubbish indeed--and very silly, entertaining rubbish at that.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:56 am
Re: Let's give virtue a hand
coberst wrote:
...wait a minute, who ever heard of a campus where scholarship is king. This is, perhaps, a slight exaggeration, I am sure such a campus must exist, somewhere.

(Since I never got an answer last time...)

They're all over the place. Do you not think that, say, the Ivies or the Nobel-prize-producing powerhouses like Stanford and Berkeley qualify? Not to mention less glamorously romanticized institutions which nonetheless demonstrate high levels of scholarship? Or even medium-tier schools that nonetheless demonstrate committment to scholarship over, say, sports?

You might get an interesting discussion going if you give us some examples of specific insitutions and what exactly they're doing that leads you to believe they are undervaluing scholarship.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 12:54 pm
Yes, to both of the above....and I would qualify my phrase "academic merit" to include those who would aspire to the title "social scientist" without actually dirtying their hands with "social work".
0 Replies

Bossox

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 12:28 am
I might be wrong in my understanding, but in a screwed sense of the question...

We need to change those we idolize in order to change what we idolize?

I plan on turning this towards what Plato describes in his republic
(A King who knows and understands true truth [What is really important to society])
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 01:18 am
I'm at a school were scholastics are very important. Most of my school are engineers and we pride ourselves on our student design teams.

Solar Car
Solar House
Formula SAE
AAVG heavy lift vehicle
Concrete Canoe
etc.

We have athletics, but we're not that good.

Having said that, the notion of the BMOC, is a guise. I have been told that I am a BMOC and it doesn't mean anything. I'm not apart of any of the things that we are good at or poor at. I'm concidered a BMOC because of my campus invovlement and pride in my community, my student advocacy, my contributions which include writing to the newspaper about campus affairs, and going to campus administration and affecting things.

Face it, a community decides who to champion, I may be a BMOC, but I'm not the only one and ecah community pushes forth it's ambassadors.

T
K
O
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 07:58 am
Cob-

His Highness Donatien Alphonse-François de Sade, the Divine Marquis, went to a great deal of trouble under very trying circumstances to explain, fully, exhaustively actually, that Virtue spends its whole existence getting **** on.

But then he had a rather less sanguine view of human nature than you probably have due to his having witnessed it at close quarters and with its breech-clouts down.

fresco wrote-

Quote:
and I would qualify my phrase "academic merit" to include those who would aspire to the title "social scientist" without actually dirtying their hands with "social work".

I think one is best advised to avoid that sort of thing as best one can and if it causes one's academic merit to be called into question well that's just the way the cookie crumbles.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 2 Nov, 2007 08:22 am
Spendius,

My remark was made in the context of coberst's citation of Dewey's...

Quote:
In other words, the virtuous person is s/he who directs a personal talent toward the betterment of the community.

.....which coberst naively assumed applied to anyone calling themselves a "social scientist".
0 Replies