• Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,698 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:33 pm
Quote:
require the lifting of veils to prove a voter's identity

Why not require just a thumb print? Or even an iris scan?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:37 pm
Miller wrote:
Quote:

I suppose, you promote such for the USA?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:40 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:

We have the thumb print exam for all individuals taking the LSAT for law school.

I prefer the iris scan...less messy!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:41 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Miller wrote:
Quote:

Sounds ok to me...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:48 pm
Seems to be a quite expensive thing.

I mean, I've never heard of or seen such problems here (but I've been only ben in election committees for 25 years and some about 30 elections), and it really seems to be rather impossible.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:58 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I mean, I've never heard of or seen such problems here (but I've been only ben in election committees for 25 years and some about 30 elections), and it really seems to be rather impossible.

Everyone will have a voter ID card, that'll contain a scan of their iris and when they show up to vote, the card will be inserted into a machine and then the voter's iris will be scanned and compared to the scan on the ID card.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:59 pm
Where I vote in Massachusetts no one as far as I can tell is ever asked for ID...
Name and address is all they ask for.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:02 pm
Funny - we mostly don't ask people such: we know them. (And if not, they have to show their ID-card.) Then they hand over their registration notice, get a mark on the list ... and vote.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:04 pm
Miller wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Everyone will have a voter ID card, that'll contain a scan of their iris and when they show up to vote, the card will be inserted into a machine and then the voter's iris will be scanned and compared to the scan on the ID card.

Where! In never,never land?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
au1929 wrote:
Miller wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Where! In never,never land?

No! It'll be here sooner than you think...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:06 pm
You have to show at least one piece of i.d. as well as your voter card to vote in Canada. It's been like that for many years. One of those pieces of i.d. must be a photo i.d. - which is where the burqa is proving problematic for some.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:07 pm
On all birth certificates instead of a foot print, there'll be an iris scan. All you'll need if you should ever lose your ID care is a copy of your birth certificate.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:22 pm
this whole "face unveiling" thing is a bit of a fraud , stirred up by some right-wing politicos looking for votes imo .

just a few points :
- spokeswomen for muslim women said that no muslim woman had refused to show her face to an election official . they said it's no different than showing one's face for a passport photo .
- if one expects to be absent from place of residence at election time , one can vote by mail - in which case NO face identification is required .
- The new rules give electors wearing niqabs or burkas an option for providing identification: they can present two pieces of ID, of which at least one must state their address, or they can have another voter registered in the same district vouch for them.

it's really a non-issue .
that the subject was even raised by some right-wing canadian politicos , makes it look as if all canadians are stupid .
hbg
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:43 pm
Will the Bill also require men to drop their drawers to prove they are not Muslim women in disguise?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:44 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Will the Bill also require men to drop their drawers to prove they are not Muslim women in disguise?

So you're advocating a penis scan?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm
Why not? How do we know that a bunch of Muslim women haven't thrown off their veils, cut their hair and worn pants to go vote? Wink Shouldn't the men have to drop their drawers to prove who they are too? Wink Makes just as much sense.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:24 pm
Sorry, but I've never heard of a "penis veil" before.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 03:40 pm
You really aren't that dense, are you Miller?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 04:00 pm
this whole "unveiling law" really makes a laughing stock out of canadians !
hbg(a canadian)
0 Replies