Author Who Wants To Kill God Makes Children's Movie

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 05:28 am
baddog1 wrote:
Interesting assumptions wolf.

First: Since the movie has not been shown yet - how can it be old news?

I'm talking about the news that there's a Golden Compass movie, news of which appeared as early as December 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4097715.stm

Quote:
Second: Have you seen a 'sneak-preview' of the film - or are you speculating as to the actual content?

No need to speculate. I'm telling you what has been reported in various different media articles ranging from Empire magazine to the Washington Post.

I refer you to this article:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2190765,00.html

And an interview with the Director

That's not to say that the content won't change, but seeing as I haven't heard any news regarding any change and no news has been reported, it is safe to say that the content will remain as I have described.

Quote:
And are you suggesting that the writer from Snopes is a "misinterpreting young Earth Creationist"? How would you know this to be true?

I was referring to RL. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 06:38 am
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:
Wilso wrote:
Chai wrote:
From SNOPES?

Hey, I got an idea.

If you don't want your child to see this movie, don't take him/her.

Another person trying to use logic to fight delusion. That's too reasonable for theists.

An atheist wants people to think about killing God...........

Yeah, that's logical......................

Rolling Eyes

A theist expects people to take a fantasy movie logically.

You're a bit mixed up, Wilso.

You, not I, are the one who suggested that the moviemaker was using logic to oppose theism. Laughing

I was talking about the theists who protested instead of just avoiding the movie you half wit!!!

So, your statement :

Quote:
Another person trying to use logic to fight delusion.

was NOT referring to the moviemaker?

Or it was NOT implying that the moviemaker used logic (in a 'fantasy' flick) to oppose theism?

Laughing

Why don't you just admit that it was?
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 08:57 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
Interesting assumptions wolf.

First: Since the movie has not been shown yet - how can it be old news?

I'm talking about the news that there's a Golden Compass movie, news of which appeared as early as December 2004.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4097715.stm

Quote:
Second: Have you seen a 'sneak-preview' of the film - or are you speculating as to the actual content?

No need to speculate. I'm telling you what has been reported in various different media articles ranging from Empire magazine to the Washington Post.

I refer you to this article:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,2190765,00.html

And an interview with the Director

That's not to say that the content won't change, but seeing as I haven't heard any news regarding any change and no news has been reported, it is safe to say that the content will remain as I have described.

Quote:
And are you suggesting that the writer from Snopes is a "misinterpreting young Earth Creationist"? How would you know this to be true?

I was referring to RL. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Wolf:

Thank you for the links. Interesting to see how the director balances the intent of the author (based on the books) with the discussed version of the film. The interaction between the two might be equally interesting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:41 am
What is the most interesting is that, as usual, theists are so worried about any attack on religion, that this becomes an issue. This is likely to generate publicity which will make the film more profitable.

If one were to assume that there were a god, and that said god were omnipotent, why the hell would anyone care if someone took on the quixotic task of "killing god?" By definition, that would be an impossible task.

If one is possessed of ultimate "spiritual truth," why would such a one care what anyone else thought of what were to them, patently undeniable?

Silly, silly thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 09:42 am
Why can't i see page 2?

I hope i didn't miss anything amusing--which is about the only reason that i come here these days.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 10:08 am
Setanta wrote:
Why can't i see page 2?

I hope i didn't miss anything amusing--which is about the only reason that i come here these days.
You missed tiny's observation that Dr Seuss and Shel Silverstein once wrote for Playboy.

I, thinking right along with his digression, broke into verses from Uncle Shelby's Zoo, particularly. The Gumplegutch.

However, many may remember Shel's prologue which goes, as I can remember:
The birds and the bees
And the chimpanzees
Are creatures with which we are familiar
But What do we know
Of the humplebacked mo?
Or the long necked ring tailed brillyar?
Or the gorp eating kalikozilliar . . .?

Verses which have entertained my kids and grand kids for yeras.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 03:29 pm
Re: Author Who Wants To Kill God Makes Children's Movie
baddog1 wrote:
From Snopes:

" The Golden Compass, a fantasy film starring Nicole Kidman that is scheduled to be released into theaters on 7 December 2007, has been drawing fire from concerned Christians. The film is based on Northern Lights (released in the U.S. as The Golden Compass), the first offering in Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy of children's books, a series that follows the adventures of a streetwise girl who travels
through multiple worlds populated by witches, armor-plated bears, and sinister ecclesiastical assassins to defeat the oppressive forces of a senile God.

Books of the trilogy have sold more than 15 million copies around the world, with Northern Lights winning the Carnegie Medal for Children's Literature in 2005 and in 2007 being awarded the 'Carnegie of Carnegies' for the best children's book of the past 70 years. The Amber Spyglass, the final book of the series, won The Whitbread Prize in 2001, making it the first children's book to do so.

The series' author, Phillip Pullman, is an avowed atheist who has averred that "I don't profess any religion; I don't think it's possible that there is a God; I have the greatest difficulty in understanding what is meant by the words 'spiritual' or 'spirituality.'" Critics of Pullman's books point to the strong anti-religion and anti-God themes they incorporate, and although literary works are subject to a variety of interpretations, Pullman left little doubt about his intentions when he said in a 2003 interview that "My books are about killing God." (Conservative British columnist Peter Hitchens labeled Pullman "The Most Dangerous Author in Britain" and described him as the writer "the atheists would have been praying for, if atheists prayed.")..."

The Bible comes in children's versions as well, and it's no less a form of indoctrination than Pullman's books are.

Why do you object to an atheistic children's story if you don't object equally to a theistic children's story?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 05:43 am
Oh, RL, you really don't know how to read, do you?

1. Where exactly did the "moviemaker" say he wanted people to think about killing God?
2. Who is the "moviemaker"?

The answers are of course...

1. He didn't. No one did.
2. The "moviemaker" is Chris Weitz.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 06:25 am
rosborne979 wrote:
The Bible comes in children's versions as well, and it's no less a form of indoctrination than Pullman's books are.

Why do you object to an atheistic children's story if you don't object equally to a theistic children's story?

Such as?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:40 am
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Such as?

The Bible (did you read the first sentence?)
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:56 am
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Such as?

Yes. I thought you had other 'children's books' in mind.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 07:59 am
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Such as?

No. My point was that the bible is used to indoctrinate kids all the time. It's specifically repackaged for them (Children's Bible).

I really don't see why Pullman's books should be of concern to anyone, if "Children's Bibles" aren't of equal concern.
0 Replies

baddog1

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 08:18 am
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Such as?

No. My point was that the bible is used to indoctrinate kids all the time. It's specifically repackaged for them (Children's Bible).

I really don't see why Pullman's books should be of concern to anyone, if "Children's Bibles" aren't of equal concern.

I have not read Pullman's books. The details in the Snopes article caught my eye so I decided to post it with the hopes that other members may have more knowledge than I do on the subject.

Additionally, as Pullman admits to his desire to 'kill God' - I was alarmed that he would be in a position to influence children either directly or subliminally through books or movie(s).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:26 am
baddog1 wrote:
Additionally, as Pullman admits to his desire to 'kill God' - I was alarmed that he would be in a position to influence children either directly or subliminally through books or movie(s).

I understand that your personal beliefs would prefer that God not be killed, but do you see that there really is no difference of degree between what the Bible is used for, and what Pullman's books might be used for?

Personally, I find it odious that christian dogma, including eternal damnation and torture in hellfire, are presented to young children to make them believe.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:44 am
rosborne979 wrote:
baddog1 wrote:

I understand that your personal beliefs would prefer that God not be killed, but do you see that there really is no difference of degree between what the Bible is used for, and what Pullman's books might be used for?

Personally, I find it odious that christian dogma, including eternal damnation and torture in hellfire, are presented to young children to make them believe.
You correctly used lower case 'c' to represent nominal christianity.

The doctrines you referred to are not Christian.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 09:58 am
neologist wrote:

Really? I'm not sure what the difference between the two things are.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 12:17 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

I sort of got into it here
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:43 pm
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

I sort of got into it here

That link doesn't seem to tell me what differences you think there are between "Nominal christianity" and "Christianity".

Your previous post seemed to imply that there is some form of christianity that does not use the threat of eternal damnation and hellfire in its doctrine. Were you referring to a particular form of christianity, or is it just your personal view that eternal damnation and hellfire should not be part of christianity.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
Quote:
Your previous post seemed to imply that there is some form of christianity that does not use the threat of eternal damnation and hellfire in its doctrine.

jehovah's witnesses. they believe that the wicked are going to be obliterated, not tortured forever. i find this an interesting stance that's probably closer to religious "truth" (note the use of quotes) than most hell mythology, but i also suspect that obliteration is a misnomer... given the assumption that is, that any religious belief is accurate.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2007 04:17 pm
tinygiraffe wrote:
Quote:
Your previous post seemed to imply that there is some form of christianity that does not use the threat of eternal damnation and hellfire in its doctrine.

jehovah's witnesses. they believe that the wicked are going to be obliterated,

Oh, ok. So when they indoctrinate their kids they only threaten them with obliteration, not eternal damnation.

"Listen little Suzy, you can believe whatever you want to believe, but the only way to avoid obliteration is to believe what we tell ya". Different words, same manipulation.
0 Replies