what is the best firewall????

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:52 pm
It also says something about the file svchost.exe which I've had problems with before.
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:50 pm
Svchost.exe is a generic host process name for services that run from dynamic-link libraries (DLLs).

To find out what's inside each copy of svchost.exe, use the Resource Kit Support Tools' tlist.exe (with the -s switch). (You need to install the Support Tools from \support\tools on your product CD-ROM; they don't install by default.)

It is popular for this file to be infected with a virus so scan with a few virus scanners (like AVG) after all it's free. Also read http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBJ/tip4600/rh4660.htm

this means you can disable some things that are bundeled in svhost.exe but denying the file is a bad idea as it is a "genaric" host and some programs MUST use it to access the net. It should still not be given unrestricted access as it may be a trojan trying to "call home"
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 06:56 pm
Uh. Ok. I'll have to read that a few times before I 'get it'. Thanks Safecracker!
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 08:55 pm
Vivien, sorry to hear you got that worm, but happy you were able to get your PC back to normal.

Laughing
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 08:48 am
thanks Misti - I was in the middle of designing the brochure for the Open Studios (lots of artists, colleges, galleries etc emailing stuff to me.... ) it was a disaster! Shocked but all is well now and the booklet should go to the printer next week.
0 Replies