Do Christians thank the Lord before eating a Twinkie?

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 02:30 pm
It seems that prayers and blessings of the food are mainly reserved to family dinners.

I have never seen a Christian loudly express a big thank you to God after getting some halfhearted junk food from a hot dog stand on the way home from work.

Isn't that food also given by God?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,533 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 02:45 pm
Some may not, in fact, give thanks for snacks etc. However, do not assume that is the case with all just because you have not witnessed it. Also, some may choose to offer their prayer in silence.

A thankful believer is thankful for all things.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 03:40 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Yes, thankful people are thankful. That part makes sense. The rest doesn't.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 08:22 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Yes, thankful people are thankful. That part makes sense. The rest doesn't.

Sorry you don't understand. Perhaps you could elaborate on what doesn't make sense and why.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 09:38 pm
I had a woman tell me that she prays God's blessing on her Big Macs so that they will nourish, not harm, her body. She was not joking.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:42 pm
i've seen people bless parties with snacks no better than twinkies. it's probably a lot more common than you think, based on my experience.
0 Replies

Coolwhip

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 10:51 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I had a woman tell me that she prays God's blessing on her Big Macs so that they will nourish, not harm, her body. She was not joking.

Wow, that explains a lot!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 03:12 pm
Coolwhip wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Wow, that explains a lot!

Exactly what does it explain?
0 Replies

hungry hippo

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:13 pm
Intrepid wrote:
However, do not assume that is the case with all just because you have not witnessed it.

I think you make enough assumptions without evidence for both of us, so don't worry. I asked a question after all.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:20 pm
Just 'cause you've never seen it, means little about whether anyone's blessing their twinkies. And yes- since you asked, everything (even twinkies) is from God.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:21 pm
that God's a real sport...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 05:33 pm
Is is only Christians that thank God for things? I didn't know they'd cornered the market.

I notice HH wants to know about Christians loudly thanking God....what, if it's not loud, it doesn't count?

Who knows what people are doing before they take a bite of food.

In fact, there's enough people that mindlessly eat all day long, it might be nice if they put their mind to something.

I don't think God made Twinkies, or tortilla soup, or a bagel.

I do think God nudged an atom somewhere in this universe that started a ball rolling that has traveled thus far to produce apple trees, peanuts and carrots.

Who knows where that ball will roll next.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 08:31 pm
Quote:
Is is only Christians that thank God for things? I didn't know they'd cornered the market.

I didn't see anyone here claiming they did.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 26 Oct, 2007 09:33 pm
hungry hippo wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
However, do not assume that is the case with all just because you have not witnessed it.

I think you make enough assumptions without evidence for both of us, so don't worry. I asked a question after all.

Sorry, but I have made no assumptions. I simply answered a question as it was stated. I assumed you asked a question legitimately and wanted people to respond. Unless you are baiting or trolling, why did you ask the question when you, apparently do not want or like the answers?
0 Replies

hungry hippo

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:23 pm
Intrepid wrote:
hungry hippo wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Sorry, but I have made no assumptions. I simply answered a question as it was stated. I assumed you asked a question legitimately and wanted people to respond. Unless you are baiting or trolling, why did you ask the question when you, apparently do not want or like the answers?

I was just saying that if I wanted to assume that no Christian in the world will do it becaue I haven't seen it, I wouldn't have asked the question.
Assuming without evidence is after all what Christianity and other religions is all about, but that's beside the topic.

And to your question; I do appreciate all the answers very much, even yours.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:37 pm
Why be thankful for something that does your body so much harm?
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:55 pm
One twinkie won't do your body any harm.

Lots of them will.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 05:11 pm
snood wrote:
Quote:

HH did ask specifically about christians.

I was wondering why he picked them out of the bag.
0 Replies

hungry hippo

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 10:56 pm
Chai wrote:
snood wrote:
Quote:

HH did ask specifically about christians.

I was wondering why he picked them out of the bag.

I picked Christianity just because it is the most common religion that most people can relate to.

Christians surely aren't unique in that aspect. Out of all the big religions I don't think any of them have as big of an affect on food as for the Jews.

Putting aside the complex dietary laws, benedictions should be said before any food or drink according to some rabbis. Benedictions vary from what type of food is eaten. For example food originating from a tree has a different benediction than food that grows in the soil, raw vegetables can have a different benediction than cooked.

And when eating many things at once, they should be said in accordance to the significance of the food. I am guessing that this should apply to a Twinkie as well because it is made of so many things, making the eating of a Twinkie a quite complicated procedure. But if the Twinkie is not kosher that will put a quick end to the debate.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2007 04:02 pm
Hungry Hippo...why would you assume that Christianity is the most common religion people can relate to?

I cry bullshit. You picked Christianity, and then went further talking about not hearing Christians loudly giving thanks. If you had wanted to discuss being thankful for food, you might have been more inclusive. I do believe there's a few hindus out there, and a couple of budhists.

I stand by what I said before. No one knows what another is thinking before they take a bite of food, whether it's at the beginning of an evening meal, or even a bite in the middle of the day.

Ingredients of Twinkies

Enriched Wheat Flour - enriched with ferrous sulphate (iron)
B vitamins:
Niacin
Thiamine mononitrate [B1]
Riboflavin [B2] and
Folic acid
Sugar
Corn syrup
Water
High fructose corn syrup
Vegetable and/or animal shortening containing one or more of
Partially hydrogenated soybean
cottonseed or Canola oil
lard and
beef fat
Dextrose
Whole eggs
Contains 2% or less of:
Modified corn starch
Cellulose gum
Whey
Leavenings:
Sodium acid pyrophosphate
Baking soda
Monocalcium phosphate
Salt
Cornstarch
Corn flour
Corn syrup solids
Mono and diglycerides
Soy lecithin
Polysorbate 60
Calcium caseinate
Sodium stearoyl lactylate
Wheat gluten
calcium sulfate
Natural and artificial flavors:
Caramel color
Sorbic acid (to retain freshness)
Color added (yellow 5, red 40)

from what I read, they have replaced the lard (pig fat) with beef fat, so supposedly that makes them kosher Confused

gross.

A vegetarian wouldn't eat a twinkie, so wouldn't give thanks for it, regardless of their beliefs.

Looking at some images of boxes of Twinkies, I didn't see any kosher symbol on them.

Anyway....what is your beef exactly? People giving thanks outloud? Giving them silently, in such a way you wouldn't even know what they are doing?
0 Replies