Parochial Antagonism in the Land of Oz

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:33 am
OK. We all are aware them. Tell me about the ones you know about how you feel about it. Here's some of mine.

Cairns/Townsville

Townsville says 'Cairns is touristy fluff'
Cairns says 'Townsville is full of rocks, racists and rednecks - and you can't get a bruschetta on a Sunday. And the weather ruins your do.'

Western Sydney vs North Shore
North Shore says 'Penrith? I wouldn't go that far for my holidays'
Westies says 'Get a latte soy decaf up ya!'

Canberra vs Queanbeyan
Canberra says 'Yuck, struggletown.'
Queanbeyan says 'I'm only here till I can afford a mortgage in Canberra.'

North Canberra vs South Canberra
Pointless really. Canberra revolves around Lake Burley Griffin. There's expensive, if sometimes dilapidated inner suburbs on both sides that peter into trashy subdivisions with the odd gated estate with high prices and a poxy name.

As Bill Bryson said 'Canberra: why wait for death?'
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,083 • Replies: 11
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 03:46 am
NSW vs Victoria

I once read (about 20 years ago) about the then new habit of cricketers of opposing teams hugging each other at the end of the match to show sporting spirit. The NSW cricket captain (I think) was reported as saying that if a "sweaty Victorian" tried to hug him, he'd "bring his knee up bloody hard".
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:29 am
Queensland vs New South Wales is probably nastier than NSW/Victoria as far as state rivalries go, but NSW and Vic capitals really do have a go at each other

Anyone care to talk us through Sydney vs Melbourne?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 07:28 am
Sydney has a giant coathanger (the bridge)

Melbourne has a river that flows upside down Mud at the top water below (The Yarra).
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:21 am
Come on dad, surely you can enlighten us on Taralgon vs Sale?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:02 am
Thats on "the other side" of the mountains from here Hinge. Theys a little strange over there.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:03 pm
A-ha! - an east vs west of the great dividing range schism!

dadpad

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 08:33 pm
But give us a common enemy, like stoopid city folk, and we are back to back.

Mountain men love mountin women and that doesn't change either side of the divide.
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 09:53 pm
Re: Parochial Antagonism in the Land of Oz
hingehead wrote:
OK. We all are aware them. Tell me about the ones you know about how you feel about it.

Hmmmm, the worst parochialism I've encountered was in the NT. The crow-eaters and the sand-gropers both think they own the place, the cockroaches hardly ever venture up there, and us charming Queenslanders are advised to pretend we come from WA or SA.

Funny thing is, our indigenous bretheren aside, it's difficult to find anyone who was actually born in the NT.

Oh, I forgot to mention the Taswarians, who freely poke fun at themselves anyways when inhabiting other states.

Never met a Victorian in the 8 years I spent in the territory.

On a smaller scale, my home city of Redcliffe was constantly at war with the Brisbane suburbs of Brighton and Deagon, which are both just across the water via the Houghton bridge.

I never figured out why, but it was accepted fact that we hated eachother's guts, and violent retribution was part of being a resident there.

As my Maori mate says, "What a bunch of weirdos!"

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 05:42 pm
Wouldn't he have said "What a bunch of weirdos, hey!" ?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 05:55 pm
hingehead wrote:
Wouldn't he have said "What a bunch of weirdos, hey!" ?

Hahahahahaha! Actually most QLD'ers use "hey" as an adverb more often that particular fella.

One distinguishing feature of his vocabulary is to use "chaps" in place of buddies or mates, but he's been here in OZ so long now, that he's lost most of his accent. Oh, and he had a Canuck father, and a Maori mater. :wink:
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 06:07 pm
We're all bitzers, hey.
0 Replies