• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 500 • Replies: 5
No top replies

vikorr

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:03 pm
Hi Coberst,

What an interesting post. It's certainly not one I could have put together (especially regarding the history of journalism).

Before answering your questions at the bottom of the page, I have some observations in the body of the post :

Quote:
The officer's behavior in each conceivable circumstance should follow precisely a well-established code of action…. Even those instances wherein the officer is authorized to deviate from standard procedure are clearly defined algorithms.

Not being a military officer, I wouldn't have described what they need to be able to do as an algorithm…though I guess it would come close. I would have said it was more like what you attributed to journalists :

Quote:

With the difference being in timeframe allowed (military may have to do so instantaneously), and the consequent results (military failure to connect the dots instaneously may result in friendly deaths).

Quote:
The role of the journalist in wartime has evolved dramatically in the last 50 years. During WWII the journalist acted as cheerleader and propagandist…

I didn't find the journalism to be any different in the leadup to the Iraq war.

Quote:
Since most people unconsciously seek opinion fortification rather than truth they become very agitated when they find news which does not fortify their opinion. Thus, most people have low opinions of journalists

My low opinion of journalism comes from their onesided stories and their related their lack of critical analysis of important issues…but I guess that's more a low standard of journalism than what you are talking about (it just seems to be the overwhelming majority of them today)

Quote:
With consideration we probably will find that knowledge is more important than critical thinking when…
Quote:
The question then becomes: is it more important to have citizens with greater knowledge and less understanding and critical thinking or citizens with greater understanding and critical thinking and less knowledge?
Quote:
I claim that democracy is more dependent upon the citizen who exemplifies more the characteristic of the ideal journalist than the ideal military officer.
Quote:
Democracy will eventually live or die based upon the degree of sophistication for critical thinking and understanding by our citizens.

A degree of knowledge is required to critical thinking. With knowledge as a base, then in general I still agree with what you said.

Quote:
I think there are several levels of critical thinking, do you agree?

Hmmm, no. I think there are people better able to join the dots (those dots require knowledge), and that there are people more willing to seek out knowledge, and that there are people with better memories, and people who are more curious, and a combination of such (and probably other factors) affect ones ability at critical thinking, but I wouldn't say that we could honestly classify people into levels…because of the factors involved.

Quote:
Do you think that the journalist or the military officer offers the best example for educating the citizens of a democracy?

Going back to the problem with indoctrination military types into the righteousness of ones country…

But in terms of pure thinking….the military types will provide the visionaries…

The journalists will provide the critics,

The military types will provide the doers

The journalists will provide the talkers/debators

Both are necessary to democracy.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 04:19 pm
i'm of the opinion that any group of people can produce a visionary, even a positive one, not just the military.

(even republicans...)
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 03:25 am
0 Replies

coberst

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 04:05 am
vikorr

An algorithm is a step by step description for action and this is what the military depends upon. Everyone in the military has to follow standard operating procedures because all plans are dependent upon that as a known.

Bias like beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This has been how the conservatives have been able to negate the negative happenings, especially in the war, at least before the Washington Times came on the scene.

Critical Thinking is process, character, knowledge, skill, and attitude. Good judgments require both the proper process, character, knowledge, skill, and attitude; and also knowledge about the subject under consideration.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 05:04 am
Quote:
i'm of the opinion that any group of people can produce a visionary, even a positive one, not just the military.

Hi Tiny, that's quite true. I think it's just that the military system identifies people who are able to join the dots, and think strategically, and then trains those abilities to a higher standard.
………….
Quote:
There is a great difference between knowing and understanding. Everyone can answer "yes" when asked if they know music.

Hi coberst. Yes, I understand this, and that is a fair generalization…but your example has little to do with either journalists or military officers as per the original post…my post was trying to relate knowledge and understanding to that original comparison.

Quote:
vikorr

An algorithm is a step by step description for action and this is what the military depends upon. Everyone in the military has to follow standard operating procedures because all plans are dependent upon that as a known.

Oh, I was thinking mathematical algorithm, which is the only place I have ever heard the term used.

Out of curiosity, are you certain that the military operate the way you describe? (it seems a recipe for many problems to me)
0 Replies