How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?

Francis

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 12:46 pm
Tryagain wrote:
ban the French and let harmony return.

There's only one of them left on A2K and yet you want him banned...

But this troublesome one has no desire to comply with your xenophobic views, my dear Try. :wink:

This is existentialism at its best..
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:10 pm
We don't want to ban Francis... where else could we get good cheese with our whine?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:17 pm
Great, cj, at whines like that, nobody can beat you...
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:43 pm
My bad; the only Paris I know is a city located 98 miles (158 km) northeast of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex in Lamar County, Texas, in the United States. Is there any other?

It also seems there was a typo malfunction as I assumed that anyone as sophisticated, knowledgeable and debonair as Francis must be…

Canadian! Laughing
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 01:48 pm
Perhaps Francis is from Paris...Ontario!

Paris
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
Perhaps he is really Paris Hilton in disguise.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:10 pm
Re: How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?
nimh wrote:
Human emotions are complicated like that.

in context, this made perfect sense, but i think it would also make a really great tshirt or bumper sticker by itself Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:26 pm
nimh - your post on the previous page makes a lot of sense to me

A2K has evolved, I've changed - neither will ever be the same

I don't expect, or want, A2K now to be the same site as A2K several years ago. Many newer members are clearly still having lots of fun when they first arrive - and it's fun to meet and greet them if I happen to be around when they're 'fresh' - but it'll never be that same first-day-of-school excitement for me.

My locker here is dented, and that's ok.

I wander off, have fun at other/new (or just new to me) sites, wander back, wander off, wander back.

It's kinda nice to check out the homecoming events (like the semi-annual A2K's changed thread :wink: ).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:35 pm
nimh wrote:
What it could be is that things that once seemed exciting and new, now seem worn-out and dull; that discussions that seemed insightful at first read, make your eyes glaze over the nth time they roll back around.

I think that you are so right. Maybe it is a natural tendency for people to yearn for "the good old days", whatever they were! Confused
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 02:39 pm
There was a time when I could ridicule Phoenix for her "Ayn Rand" position. Really fun to do. I miss those "good old days" on th3 other hand, now that I've met Phoenix it's much easier to ridicule her in person. (she really does have blue hair and drives a Buick 225)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:05 pm
dys- You forgot the Lawrence Welk CDs that I have in my car! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 02:28 am
Having read all of the above, my strong feeling is that any new A2Ker whose posts are interesting & is willing to participate has done just fine here. Lots of examples of that. Some newcomers simply don't appear to want to stick around for the long haul. No idea why, but surely that's their decision? I can't see much point in attempting to encourage folk who don't seem to want to be encouraged to stick around.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 03:50 am
If you don't know why then maybe try asking these people:

"Answers from Askpedia
Ask Questions, Get Answers Advice from Real People & Experts
www.Askpedia.com"

That is the ad on the side of the screen btw Laughing
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 04:42 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
edgar- My point is, IMO, if we want this forum to flourish, and not languish, we need to put on our best smiles and trot out the lemonade and cookies.

I'm not sure I agree with this. While I'm trying to be civil to everyone, and think I'm doing an acceptable job at it, I reserve lemonade and cookies for people I actually like. Sadly, not everyone in the world is my friend. That being the case, I see no value in pretending otherwise.

Apart from that, I think your perception is much older than A2K. A somewhat stronger form of it is known among old internet veterans under the phrase Imminent Death of the Net Predicted. Here is how the Jargon File, an encyclopedia of net lore, describes the phenomenon:

An anonymous author in the Jargon File wrote:
Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted!: prov.

[Usenet] Since Usenet first got off the ground in 1980--81, it has grown exponentially, approximately doubling in size every year. On the other hand, most people feel the signal-to-noise ratio of Usenet has dropped steadily. These trends led, as far back as mid-1983, to predictions of the imminent collapse (or death) of the net. Ten years and numerous doublings later, enough of these gloomy prognostications have been confounded that the phrase "Imminent Death Of The Net Predicted!" has become a running joke, hauled out any time someone grumbles about the S/N ratio or the huge and steadily increasing volume, or the possible loss of a key node or link, or the potential for lawsuits when ignoramuses post copyrighted material, etc., etc., etc.

Sound familiar? (Historical note: Usenet was the first worldwide online community.)
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:15 pm
The name of this forum is Able2know i.e. it is knowledge based so many come to this site for answers first. Once their answers are found they look around more and if they like the discussions and willing to put in their two cents then off you go. There will will those who disagree and so there will be debates or arguments. I probably offended the most people by linking Jesus to Lucifer but no one has succeeded in driving me out.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2007 10:19 pm
Should add an economics, business and labor section as these topics seem to end up in the politics section. Sport activities and vacation could be added.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 04:11 am
Talk- We do have a Sports & Physical Fitness forum, as well as a Travel forum, which would include vacations. I think that most other vacation related threads end up in the General discussions.

Thomas- I had never heard of the "Imminent Death of the Net", but it certainly puts things into perspective! Laughing

Thomas wrote:
I reserve lemonade and cookies for people I actually like.

What I was referring to was a generalized good will towards all new members, and a tentative acceptance and graciousness towards all. If they prove themselves to be dolts, at least we will have the lemonade at the ready to throw at them! :wink:
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 10:24 am
........and when it happens you could always use these people:
"Wrongful Death Attorneys" (ad on side) Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 07:16 pm
Not sure if I should poke my nose in here, because as a relative newcomer to A2K I have always felt welcome from the moment my big toe entered the warm waters.
Having said that, I was wondering if anyone has thought of a special place for 'family history research'? I know there are other places on the www for people to go, and maybe it is too big an area to tackle, but it did cross my mind that there isn't, as far as I can see, which isn't far I have to admit, where people could ask in A2K for help in the genealogy department, if you get my drift. If there already is a special place on A2K please accept my apologies in advance.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 18 Oct, 2007 08:58 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Talk- We do have a Sports & Physical Fitness forum, as well as a Travel forum, which would include vacations. I think that most other vacation related threads end up in the General discussions.

Thomas- I had never heard of the "Imminent Death of the Net", but it certainly puts things into perspective! Laughing

Thomas wrote:
I reserve lemonade and cookies for people I actually like.

What I was referring to was a generalized good will towards all new members, and a tentative acceptance and graciousness towards all. If they prove themselves to be dolts, at least we will have the lemonade at the ready to throw at them! :wink:

Who determines who is a dolt and who is not? Confused Doesn't this fly in the face of the desire to make everyone feel welcome?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 05:12:12