How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:18 pm
soz- About "speaking up", I think that one needs to use judgment. In some cases, a pointed comment can often stop an increasing conflagration. With others, especially those members who like to go off half cocked, ignoring them, IMO, is the best defense. To respond to them merely encourages the behavior.

Quote:
PRINCIPLES OF REINFORCEMENT
There are three basic principles of this theory. These are the Rules of Consequences. The three Rules describe the logical outcomes which typically occur after consequences.

Consequences which give Rewards increase a behavior.

Consequences which give Punishments decrease a behavior.

Consequences which give neither Rewards nor Punishments extinguish a behavior.

These Rules provide an excellent blueprint for influence. If you want to increase a behavior (make it more frequent, more intense, more likely), then when the behavior is shown, provide a Consequence of Reward.

If you want to decrease a behavior (make it less frequent, less intense, less likely), then when the behavior is shown, provide a Consequence of Punishment.

Finally, if you want a behavior to extinguish (disappear, fall out of the behavioral repertoire), then when the behavior is shown, then provide no Consequence (ignore the behavior).

http://www.as.wvu.edu/~sbb/comm221/chapters/rf.htm
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:31 pm
dlowan wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Alot of new studies have come out on these internet communities and they are very interesting.

Do you mean online?

If so, do you have any cites, please?

I'd be interested.
No but my buddy talked about the studies to me alot. It was on NPR.

He said (the study) that people in these online communities will form a gang and that when a stranger comes in with a different opinion other members in that community will fell compelled to attack that "stranger" and then the community attacks altogether then the stranger leaves and the community becomes atype of cult.

The stranger goes out into the real world still effected by the attacks by the online community and actually withdraws from the actual community.

When he told me this I was shocked and told him "That's just how it is".

It's schoolyard bullying. Except from an LED screen it is very easy for mature intelligent adults to engage in a type of "lord of the flys".....thing.

What we are talking about is the sociology of online communities. It is a inhuman kind of human contact and the studies are just now coming in.

P.S. good luck with my grammer.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:40 pm
dlowan wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Alot of new studies have come out on these internet communities and they are very interesting.

Do you mean online?

If so, do you have any cites, please?

I'd be interested.

http://informationr.net/ir/4-1/paper50.html

I have not read this yet. That would be a good thread; "Sociology of online communites" OR

"A2K and the sociology of online communites"

A2K could lead the pack!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 12:42 pm
This it? Listen to the audio clip.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/talk/2007/10/the_sociology_of_online_social.html#c14990536
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:30 pm
We might of found the same thing but here is this to. It has a bunch.

http://www.openparenthesis.org/tag/npr
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:35 pm
Aa wrote:
Perhaps the last few posts have given a glimmering of a worthwhile marketing strategy for A2K. To wit, we could become known as a forum in which any given topic will segue into sexuality. Think about it.

Naturally I'm for it.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 01:43 pm
Amigo wrote:
....my buddy talked about the studies to me alot. It was on NPR.

He said (the study) that people in these online communities will form a gang and that when a stranger comes in with a different opinion other members in that community will fell compelled to attack that "stranger" and then the community attacks altogether then the stranger leaves and the community becomes atype of cult.

The stranger goes out into the real world still effected by the attacks by the online community and actually withdraws from the actual community.

This is a scary example. On the other hand, there are many more positive examples about support people receive from online communities.

There is a strange phenomenon I have experienced about virtual versus real interactions. If I go to a party where most of the people are strangers, I may not be able to participate in whatever conversations are going on. Thus, I may actually experience less interaction when people are physically present than when I am online.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
wandeljw wrote:
There is a strange phenomenon I have experienced about virtual versus real interactions. If I go to a party where most of the people are strangers, I may not be able to participate in whatever conversations are going on. Thus, I may actually experience less interaction when people are physically present than when I am online.

Hmm................That is fascinating. If I think about it, it certainly makes sense. On A2K we can flit from one thread to another, putting in our two cents wherever we please. At a party, for instance, anyone going from one group to another every minute or so would be considered rather odd.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:12 pm
I hear you there wandeljw. One thing for sure is it is not black and white.

It is clear these communites have done a service to people that have been stuck in some kind of isolation. Take for instance when some woman is being abused and is able to get help from all the ladies here. Who knows what would have happened otherwise

I am getting kind of of topic which is one thing I a guilty of. By the way wandeljw iv'e read your other responses to me.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:22 pm
Some time back, there was a thread, on either A2K or Abuzz, where personality types, in terms of introversion and extroversion amongst members, were discussed.

At the time, what I found fascinating, was that the vast majority of those who responded did not consider themselves particularly sociable in the "real world".

As for myself, I weary quickly of people. I am probably happiest when I am either alone or with Mr. P. although I do enjoy the company of others.................in small doses. What I find so nice about an internet forum like A2K is that I can say my piece, and simply walk away when the mood strikes me, without worrying about offending anyone.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:37 pm
Yes, an outlet.

And a very convenient one. Many agree I am sure.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 02:47 pm
Quote:
About "speaking up", I think that one needs to use judgment. In some cases, a pointed comment can often stop an increasing conflagration. With others, especially those members who like to go off half cocked, ignoring them, IMO, is the best defense. To respond to them merely encourages the behavior.

I try to ignore the trolls and focus on the original post as though the trolls had never carped and grumbled.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:14 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
[...] As for myself, I weary quickly of people. I am probably happiest when I am either alone or with Mr. P. although I do enjoy the company of others.................in small doses. What I find so nice about an internet forum like A2K is that I can say my piece, and simply walk away when the mood strikes me, without worrying about offending anyone.

Thanks for expressing this. I find the same for myself.

I find nowadays, too, that I simply avoid threads where certain folks show up that I have no patience for. Also, I seem to have little to say, except for a few bits and pieces. Perhaps I'm going through a "phase". If it wasn't for Edgar encouraging me to return, I probably wouldn't be writing this now.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 06:54 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I feel in some tangle / intangible way A2K has both lost some spice and also become harsher.

Maybe it's because of Timber's passing plus Frank's leaving plus Doc's disappearance.

Timber's passing was a great loss to us all. He was of invaluble assistance to me over the years with his great knowledge of computers, which he shared freely with members. He was the sort of guy who had many members clamoring around his threads.

Frank was someone who tended to have large groups of people gathering around him. Although many people did not agree with him, and he did tend to get a bit nasty at times, for better or for worse, he put fire into the site. And that fire translated into a lot of people responding, even if only to argue with him.

Chumly, I think that you are right about A2K losing some of its "spice". Over the years, we have a number of people, who have come and gone, who have raised the hackles of members. Even so, those folks, to a great extent, brought the rest of us together, if only to disagree. That irritation gave life to the site, and it resulted in many more postings.
Two of the Spice-Boys: Timber & Frank!

As a suggestion you might look up some of the point / counterpoint between "Doktor S" and "Neologist" in S&R, simply great stuff.......if you like that sort of thing?

It was a real eye opener for me not because they were harsh but because in a very oddball way Neo would sometimes be inclined to tacitly agree with Dok despite Dok being a Satanist and Neo being a Jehovah Witness and me interjecting as a bit of a Science Fiction Aficionado wanna-be Futurist-Logician-Skeptic.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 15 Oct, 2007 07:50 pm
You could go old school and just roll out the red carpet and put Jessica Biel on the middle of it. I would find that very inviting...

http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Third_Party_Photo/2007/01/16/1168953803_1369.jpg
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:14 am
Chumly- The reason that I had not mentioned Doktor S was that I had little recall of him. Checking it out, I see that he has not been on the forum since February.

Personally, I think that what A2K could use right now are a couple of intelligent and knowledgeable firebrands, who could mix things up a bit. That would get the old "juices" going amongst the members.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 07:09 am
Oh Phoenix, how right you are:

We do need an all inclusive non confrontational outlook, and I am minded of:

President Franklin D. Roosevelt who presided at the Statue of Liberty's 50th anniversary and repeated President Cleveland's speech in part:
"We will not forget that Liberty has here made her home; nor shall her chosen altar be neglected."

Let us re-kindle the sprit "…
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me…"

I say; inform all members there has been a breakdown in communications; ban the French and let harmony return.

If anyone has the temerity to disagree; meet me at the Tavern on the Green, Central Park and I will drink you under the table!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:04 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Personally, I think that what A2K could use right now are a couple of intelligent and knowledgeable firebrands, who could mix things up a bit.

So what's the rest of a2k - chopped liver? Cool

Tryagain wrote:
If anyone has the temerity to disagree; meet me at the Tavern on the Green, Central Park and I will drink you under the table!

Bring it on, sissy!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 10:55 am
Re: How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?
OK, wait..

So there is this:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
I think that some members tend to personalize what other people say, and go on a personal attack when someone is in great disagreement with them. I say, attack the idea, not abuse the person.

At this point in time, I think that we need to set out a big "WELCOME" mat at A2K. We want people to know that we are open minded, generous of spirit, and accepting of new people with new ideas. [..]

My point is, IMO, if we want this forum to flourish, and not languish, we need to put on our best smiles and trot out the lemonade and cookies.

And then there is this:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Frank was someone who tended to have large groups of people gathering around him. Although many people did not agree with him, and he did tend to get a bit nasty at times, for better or for worse, he put fire into the site. And that fire translated into a lot of people responding, even if only to argue with him.

Chumly, I think that you are right about A2K losing some of its "spice". Over the years, we have a number of people, who have come and gone, who have raised the hackles of members. Even so, those folks, to a great extent, brought the rest of us together, if only to disagree. That irritation gave life to the site, and it resulted in many more postings.

So, what we need to do again is to not engage in personal attacks - and to raise the hackles of members. To set out a big "WELCOME" mat at A2K, put on our best smiles and trot out the lemonade and cookies - and be so irritating that people will post just to argue with us. We should be open minded, generous of spirit, and accepting of new people with new ideas - like, eh, Frank Apisa Shocked

I dunno. The yearning for grand old pasts and their excellent characters is obviously sincere. The longing for more welcoming friendliness and at the same time some mix-em-up fire and brimstone is genuine too. Human emotions are complicated like that. But the whole contradictoriness and unfocusedness of this call for the good old times to come back kind of confirms to me what I started saying before. That this is a lot more about the nature of human feelings than about any specific current state of the forum.

Like you wrote, you've gone through a lot of things, good times and bad, while here on this forum, and here on this forum itself. Experiences accumulate, and as they collect, layer upon layer, in our house of memories, they take on a rich glow of glory, beauty and intensity.

In reality, of course, those memories merely represent the condensation of several dozens highpoints and lowpoints, while the many slow days, lacklustre discussions and petty to-and-fros that occurred then, too, have long since dissipated.

Reading this thread, it's clear that everyone has their own things they miss about their A2K experience of the past. But there is apparently no specific, concrete thing that's gone missing - I mean, you cant simultaneously deplore how less gentle the forum has become, and how less fiery it has become. Instead, it sounds more like it's something intangible - something that was really good - and is just not there anymore. Or rather: something you used to feel, but dont feel anymore.

But in reality, you dont need to go further than the Politics thread to find the same heat as there was before. The characters have changed, but the game remains the same: Okie is no different than Foxfyre was, Halfback has taken up home halfway between where O'Bill and Lash were, and Cyclo is as active now as I used to be, and posts in much the same way. On the Relationships forum, advice is as personal as it used to be; the silly games roll on as ever.

What it could be is that things that once seemed exciting and new, now seem worn-out and dull; that discussions that seemed insightful at first read, make your eyes glaze over the nth time they roll back around. I remember the first time I was on a discussion mailinglist. The first time I was on an internet forum. It was so cool! But if I were able to participate in the very same threads now, they might just bore me. None of that says anything specific about what the site is like today: it all says a lot more about us, and where we stand, what "phase" of net use we are in, and how we remember things.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 11:23 am
Since A2K is Google walked, just post more pics of Ms. Biel and watch the traffic increase....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/19/2024 at 07:03:03