How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 01:31 pm
I have been on A2K right from the beginning. Actually, I am a "leftover" from Abuzz, the place from which many of the early members came.

Personally, I think A2K is one of the best things to happen on the internet. I have made great friends, a number whom I have met personally over the years. For many of us, A2K has become an extended family. I have expanded my knowledge base greatly from the wisdom of many members. I have gone through both happy and sad times with other A2Kers, births, deaths, marriages, divorces and illness.

Over time I have noticed a marked lessening of activity on the site. For some, it the attrition that is normal...................life changes, people's interests go in various directions. That is normal, but, IMO, constitutes only part of the situation.

Over time, I have seen accusations of "cliqueishness" hurled at members. Other members have left because of perceived hostility and animosity by other members.

If I have learned one thing in life it is that if you ask 100 people their opinion on something, you will get 100 different opinions. I think that it is wonderful that we have a forum like A2K where you are able to get such diverse feedback from people. I believe that is the way one acquires new knowledge, by hearing opinions, sifting through them, accepting what rings true, and discarding the rest.

I think that some members tend to personalize what other people say, and go on a personal attack when someone is in great disagreement with them. I say, attack the idea, not abuse the person.

At this point in time, I think that we need to set out a big "WELCOME" mat at A2K. We want people to know that we are open minded, generous of spirit, and accepting of new people with new ideas.

In order for A2K not to stagnate, we need to open our doors wide, and let people know that they are wanted.

What do you think?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,289 • Replies: 144
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 01:39 pm
Many of us are possibly at the point where they say, I've seen it all on this board; and so they back off for a time, to avoid endless reiteration. Quite a few who are now absent will be back, I am sure. Me, I don't mind repeating myself. Heh heh.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 01:43 pm
Phoenix--

I do my best. I usually greet new members--with the exception of those new members who want me to do their homework.

I try to ignore trolls. I try to express my admiration for well-written, well-thought out posts--such as this one.

I try to remember that A2K is an optional universe.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 01:49 pm
I agree Phoenix. This place could be friendlier. I've noticed many nasty or sarcastic comments hurled at first time posters. Sometimes these comments are meant to be jokes, but a new person would never see them that way because they don't know the person making the comment.

My first interaction on this site was with Walter and Francis, both first class gentlemen. I think I would have left for good if I had been ridiculed or felt the butt of a joke.

I've also noticed some people have left after being hounded by other posters for various reasons. I think it's safe to say Lord Ellpus was one of those driven out and I recently noticed Stuh505 left after a confrontation and misunderstanding.

Many people here are sensitive towards new posters and do the welcome thing, it's the various wise guys that need to control themselves (I'll refrain from mentioning names as we can all fill in our own blanks). I would also like to see more contributors come on board. In my time here I've been grateful for the addition of people like Chai, Stray Cat, MartyBaker, Dorothy Parker and a handful of others who project wit and personality. I hope more like them will sign up soon and maybe some of the old regulars will return. Lets start by just being nice and if you can't be nice, at least don't be mean.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:05 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Many of us are possibly at the point where they say, I've seen it all on this board; and so they back off for a time, to avoid endless reiteration. Quite a few who are now absent will be back, I am sure. Me, I don't mind repeating myself. Heh heh.

Edgar- I think that is exactly why we need to be more open to new members. When a particular topic is posted, before anyone answers, I have a pretty good idea of the way certain members will react to it.

It is almost as if we are imploding from our own intellectual incestuousness.

Green Witch- I agree about the sarcastic comments. In fact, before I knew a certain member (and he spelled it out to me) I thought that he was being nasty to me. At the time I had not had much contact with him before, and did not understand his sense of humor. (I don't mean you dys, so get that guilty look off your face Laughing ) If I had been a newbie, and I did not have the hide of an elephant, I would have been very insulted, and might have left the forum.

Noddy- You are one person whom I never could accuse of mean spiritedness.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:10 pm
After a time, you just squeeze over, and let the posters that don't like you go on by. Or, you get to know them, and become friendly. Works, in either case.

I suppose we could all act like some big welcoming committee, but, I personally prefer to just interact on the threads with topics. I feel that is where we really get acquainted.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:12 pm
Lord Ellpus left for different reason, but nonetheless he did get a lot of
unjustified flack from the usual suspects.

To be honest, just like in regular families, there are arguments and disagreements, and to clear the air again, they should be addressed and
discussed. I believe however, that these arguments erupt mostly between
long standing members who have had a "history" beforehand. I am guilty
as charged here too!

As for new members, I agree, they need to feel welcomed and should
be treated with courtesy and respect, even though their agenda in the
religious threads is all to clear.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:13 pm
edgar- My point is, IMO, if we want this forum to flourish, and not languish, we need to put on our best smiles and trot out the lemonade and cookies.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:17 pm
CalamityJane- This is one woman's opinion, but I am not concerned about the proselytizers. They are not interested in give and take, but merely want to spread their word. If I want to read "chapter and verse" I'll open a bible. I don't have to read it on a forum.

I have no problem with the religious who want to make a point, and do it using their own intellectual equipment, not simply rote regurgitation.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:18 pm
Green Witch wrote:

I've also noticed some people have left after being hounded by other posters for various reasons. I think it's safe to say Lord Ellpus was one of those driven out and I recently noticed Stuh505 left after a confrontation and misunderstanding.

No. Really? I was hoping they were just taking breaks. Living it up and such. That's too bad, I really like those guys.

I like the idea of the Welcome Mat. I love that there are members here that care so much about the site.

I've been here less often, mostly due to life stuff. But there are some people here that are so warm, I just always feel like it is a home.

Some personalities are louder than others. That's all I would say. Some , it's hard to avoid even when you try. They take up a lot of space.

I'm not saying that is all bad. It has been something tho, that when it becomes more pronounced, I back off from the site. It starts to feel more like I am in someone else's living room - and just sort of less like I am in a communal space. It is hard to describe.

I sometimes think it would be sort of cool to have specific areas where long term chums can catch up and spread news. You know, a clearly defined area instead of spread out all over Travel, General, and other places inbetween.
Perhaps that is unrealistic, it just sometimes strange to go into a thread, say something, and have missed the point completely bc in reality there are a few people really talking about something else.
I still feel that way sometimes, and it feels like a waste of my time, and yet i'm quite comfortable here and don't think I take things too personally overall.

Seems like a good idea to me to put some extra effort to giving more attention to lesser knowns around here.

It always feels good to be acknowledged, that was one of the first things that hooked me to this site.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:23 pm
Green Witch wrote:
My first interaction on this site was with Walter and Francis, both first class gentlemen...

Thank you, Green Witch, for your nice words.

I'm happy to have contributed, with my modest skills, to you staying here on A2K.

I always pay attention to your posts.

Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:23 pm
mushypancakes wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

No. Really? I was hoping they were just taking breaks. Living it up and such. That's too bad, I really like those guys.

I like the idea of the Welcome Mat. I love that there are members here that care so much about the site.

I've been here less often, mostly due to life stuff. But there are some people here that are so warm, I just always feel like it is a home.

Some personalities are louder than others. That's all I would say. Some , it's hard to avoid even when you try. They take up a lot of space.

I'm not saying that is all bad. It has been something tho, that when it becomes more pronounced, I back off from the site. It starts to feel more like I am in someone else's living room - and just sort of less like I am in a communal space. It is hard to describe.

I sometimes think it would be sort of cool to have specific areas where long term chums can catch up and spread news. You know, a clearly defined area instead of spread out all over Travel, General, and other places inbetween.
Perhaps that is unrealistic, it just sometimes strange to go into a thread, say something, and have missed the point completely bc in reality there are a few people really talking about something else.
I still feel that way sometimes, and it feels like a waste of my time, and yet i'm quite comfortable here and don't think I take things too personally overall.

Seems like a good idea to me to put some extra effort to giving more attention to lesser knowns around here.

It always feels good to be acknowledged, that was one of the first things that hooked me to this site.

Some of your concerns may be addressed when the newly revamped a2k is introduced.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:24 pm
Yes, looking forward to that!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:25 pm
edgar- I feel really out of the loop now. When is the revamped A2K debuting?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:28 pm
No date has been announced. You can find a topic in the Forum help threads.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:40 pm
Well the topic is "How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?"
Let's be more constructive! What would be some suggestions to make 2k more inviting?

- use special "keywords" that promote ak2 at search engines

- greet new members

- address their concerns objectively, especially when pertaining to relationship questions.

- address unanswered questions from new members daily (exclude spam)

What else?
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:51 pm
I have to admit that I have my fiesty days, my quiet days, my compassionate days and my inquisitive days. I am so greatful that I was welcomed aboard and my concerns were taken seriously and I wasn't bashed too badly. I just wish that I could have found support here a lot sooner, but then again you all would have gotten to know a different me.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:51 pm
I saw one forum that had an adopt a new member program. I thought that was an interesting concept. It would help someone feel welcome and help them navigate the site as well.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:55 pm
Lord Ellpus gone!!!!!

That sucks. You'll never replace that kind of wit and good nature. I also had a couple of very level headed political conversations through PMs with him in witch he talked sense to me.

Trolls are nothing compared to bullies.

Some of the males (and females) have a kind of Alpha male attitude here like A2K is their "turk" so they go around bullying people around, chasing them like they are police preserving something the way they like it but really they degrade it.

Like little cyber talibans.

Lord Ellpus gone. Very sad.

Alot of new studies have come out on these internet communities and they are very interesting.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 02:59 pm
Phoenix, I have a proclivity to be "too full of the milk of human kindness." I realize that, but I truly believe that everyone should be acknowledged and some observation made of each poster whether or not we agree. Often, it is a person who has a polar view from which we learn the most.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How Can We Make A2K More "Inviting" to People?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 06:25:40