truth

amhp

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:51 am
Please tell me about one thing you believe to be true.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,510 • Replies: 39
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:50 pm
Water boils at 100 degrees Celsius at sea level.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:42 pm
not if it has impurities in it Laughing

Hmmm, maybe something simple like...the colour I call red is known to me as the colour red.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:47 pm
Re: truth
amhp wrote:
Its not a matter of belief. Its a question of what is: and how you determine that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:48 pm
There is no truth in the news, and there is no news in the truth.

(Soviet proverb--the newspaper Izvestia was the main Moscow daily, and the name can be translated as "the news"; Pravda was one of the main national dailies, and the organ of the Central Committee--and the name can be translated as "the truth.")
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 01:58 pm
What I believe to be true...

Thing is that if you believe something you cannot empirically confirm, you will have a hard time getting others to accept that you believe it to be true. Better to just avoid the word, because then someone might actually understand what you're saying.

And that, I believe, is the truth Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:01 pm
"We hold these truths to be self evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."

This famous line of the Declaration was originally: We hold these truths to be sacred and undeniable;
Jefferson changed sacred and undeniable to self-evident during the writing of his Rough Draft of the Declaration

Hard to define value loaded words, amhp.

Aside to Cyracuz:
Nice to see you back, Norway.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:16 pm
vikorr wrote:
not if it has impurities in it Laughing

I would have said if it did. :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 03:52 pm
Thanks Letty. Smile
Nice to see that you're still here too.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 11:23 pm
I shall die.

Thanks for the interesting proverb, Setanta.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 08:31 am
there are 2 absolute truths in life.

1. life is not fair.
2. survival of the fittest.

that is all.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:39 am
J-B wrote:
I shall die.

Thanks for the interesting proverb, Setanta.

Thanks Boss, it's always good to see you.

Good job on providing an unassailable truth which you "believe."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 09:58 am
Quote:
wet birds never fly at night, or, a friend in need is a pest.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 11:17 am
2 things are certain in life, death and taxes.
0 Replies

Frankism

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2007 01:16 pm
amhp wrote:

In the strugle between chaos and order, i believe the only way forward, in life, and as a society, is to find the perfect balance. Surprised
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:23 pm
Truth is an accurate description
of the state of affairs.
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 14 Oct, 2007 07:48 pm
amhp wrote:

I don't believe I know.
0 Replies

ryunin

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 04:59 pm
Descartes said:

I think, therefore I am.

I don't agree with him. My version is:

I am, although I think.

Now my explanation. We are never ever cut off from the truth. It seems that thinking may lead to finding the truth and almost all philosophy is basically an attempt to find the truth through thinking. The paradox is that no matter how far we get from the starting point on the way to the final truth, we never move an inch. We have always been there from the beginning. The problem is that our thinking is not able to grasp this fundamental fact. Even if I am trying to explain here what the truth is, I am always off the mark. Intellectuals will easily disagree with me. Because I have presented a kind of theory about the truth, and why should mine be the only correct one? But I do declare I cannot replace the truth with my words. I can only explain that the very essence of the truth is beyond the capacity of words.

So we always experience the truth. Then when we want to call that experience something, okay, no problem, orange juice. But that is only a label on the carton, not the juice itself. We cannot drink words. Your spouse is not a word, not a name, not a photograph and not an idea in you mind. And yet, she or he is something real when you are together.

Some people say that they believe in death, some believe in taxes, but those are just ideas. What exactly is a tax? Is it something I count on or is
it a paper or is it a signature at the bank?

Then how come we can use words and communicate and survive although
we usually cannot grasp the truth and only imagine things in our heads? How come we survive although we are so deluded? Because although we are deluded, we see and hear and feel things clearly most of the time.
We use words as symbols and usually understand what the symbols mean.
So we come from the truth we cannot explain to a symbol and from a symbol to the truth, over and over again. I really drank some juice, not just a word, real juice. But now I am talking about it. You know what juice is and if I tell you please, bring me some juice, you will really bring juice, not something else. Then I can drink real juice.

The problem most people have is that they create huge worlds in their heads that have nothing to do with reality, worlds that lost connection with reality and these people still believe they deal with something real. In fact they are dreaming. So thinking is no problem, actually very important in modern society. But too much thinking leads to thinking taking over our
life and replacing reality, the truth, with something we imagine is true.
That means we often lose the opportunity to be what we are and appreciate what we are and what others are. It is a pity.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 06:53 pm
I believe not everything is what it seems to be.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 16 Oct, 2007 08:46 pm
I suppose truth has two forms. (1) "truthfulness", the honesty and sincerity of our statements, and (2) the value we place on a proposition because it permits prediction and control.
Instead of Truth (with upper case T) I prefer Reality. The two are often used interchangably, but not by me.
0 Replies