3:10 TO YUMA

Sglass

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 09:54 am
How many of you good folks have seen 3:10 to Yuma?

I sort of remember seeing Glenn Ford and Van Heflin in the 50's something version but do not remember a counterpart for Ben Turner's role as Charlie Prince (Princess)'s role as the gay psycho outlaw obviously in love with spud face Crowe (no offence to the Aussies on line).

Personally I feel that Ben Turner's performance was magnificent and he left Bale and Crowe behind eating dust and that he deserves an academy award for his performance.

And I just loved his little double breasted leather jacket. I wonder if it was designed by the late Edith Head.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 863 • Replies: 8
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 10:07 am
I liked most of the movie, but couldn't get past how unrealistic the ending was.

I understand the dramatic imperatives; I just don't like it when dramatic devices drive the plot instead of realistic characters driving the plot.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 11:53 am
DrewDad what did you think of Ben Turner's performance.

I too, take umbrage with many aspects of the movie.

Costume was way off. Attached collars for one. Turner's leather jacket for another. The list goes on.

I don't think Mangold did the job he did in "Walking The Line".
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 06:41 am
You mean Ben Foster?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004936/

I thought the actor did a good job given a one-dimensional character.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Tue 9 Oct, 2007 07:11 am
Sorry about that, it was late.

One-dimensional? Have to think about that.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:22 pm
Westerns depend on the good guy versus the bad guy but at the time this film was made it was considered a revisionist Western. There was a blur of just what characterizations made each character "bad" or "good." This is a revisionist take on a revisionist movie and things can get confusing. The Ben Foster outre evil persona almost make me laugh with that ridiculous costume. However, that's why this might be a three star movie but not close to being a four star. Brad Pitt in the new Jesse James movie trumps them all in 3:10 and so does Casey Affleck.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 12:37 pm
Whew Lightwizard arrives on his white horse to bail me out.

Obviously Sglass is not cut out to be a movie reviewer - movie in mouth disease.

But I really do like Ben Foster, but agreed that jacket looked like something from a 50's rerun shop.

more more more Lightwizard - do you think Ben Foster was one-dimensional or what do you think.

Some dude from Australia wants to know.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 02:53 pm
He was just barely this side of a stereotype. I think the director knew he was playing with fire when he got a script with this kind of a character in the lead characters. I think he toned it down when it could have become overtly campy. Well, it might still be considered campy. Depends on the viewpoint.

HBO's "Deadwood" seems to have had its influence on what a Western should look like and how it should be written for modern audiences. Even more authenticity would not hurt. I recently sat through the Costner "Wyatt Earp" and it got bogged down in its "authenticity" -- length doesn't necessarily mean realism. "Tombstone" was a better film with a much better Doc Holiday in Val Kilmer.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2007 04:21 pm
I thought Peter Fonda did a great job....

My favorite, though, was Alan Tudyk as Doc Potter.
0 Replies