Cookies

Pitter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 01:45 pm
Can I delete individual cookies and if so how and where do I find them?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,080 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 01:49 pm
It'd help if you gave us info about what browser/os you use but I'll give instructions for the most common (A windows/IE variant):

• Open Internet Explorer
  • Click "Tools"
  • Click "Internet options"
  • Click "Settings"
  • Click "View Files"

Then youw ill see a folder with all offline content. Both cookies and others and can delete what you wish.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 03:27 pm
Just as you said. Thanks
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:44 pm
Hi Pitter:

As an aside, if you are using Windows XP, one of the new features of that version is the ability to selectively block or allow cookies from specific websites.

If you are using Windows XP, you'll find the option to block/allow cookies in your Control Panel under Internet Options. You just click on the PRIVACY tab and then click the ADVANCED button under settings. There you have several options to block/allow/prompt cookies and can specifiy website urls to specifically allow or block.

My current settings are to block all cookies. When I come across a website that insists on placing a cookie in order to allow me access, I change the setting to prompt and then mark that specific website as being allowed to create cookies and then change my setting back to block. If it is a website I don't intend to return to, I just use the prompt to allow it to create the cookie one time and then block it again.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:45 pm
That's an IE 6 feature so even non XP users can use it (or conversely XP users might not have it available).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:47 pm
Oh good, that's even better. It won't cost em a couple hundred bucks to upgrade the OS just to get it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:49 pm
Yup, it's free. But it's bloated so it's a mixed blessing.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 05:03 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Yup, it's free. But it's bloated so it's a mixed blessing.

Heck, I fart enough to rid any bloating symptoms I am blessed with by using I.E. ;p
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:17 am
I use Opers as a browser and it displays all cookies and does not accept third party cookies. Unlike IE, Opera gives you all the information about the cookie before you choose to accept it or not.
(Who is sending it, how long it will be on your computer, the name of the cooklie, etc.)
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:19 am
Oh, I meant to start the last post with "It is better not to accept cookies in the first place or at least, choose which ones to accept.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 11:21 am
Why?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 02:48 pm
morganwood wrote:
Unlike IE, Opera gives you all the information about the cookie before you choose to accept it or not.
(Who is sending it, how long it will be on your computer, the name of the cooklie, etc.)

IE version 6 does that now too.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:45 pm
I get my cookies off automatically with IE 6.0 and that is really a trick.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:49 pm
LOL... and pimp daddy Gates doesn't make a dime from it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 05:35 pm
Ho, ho, ho. But then, that would be Gates' staff. He sure got his hands slapped for the browser monopoly this week. He can afford it and this is look so much like a white washing it may be included in the next edition of "Tom Sawyer."

Seriously, IE 6.0 with the privacy control sat at prompt for first party cookies and reject third party cookies works great for me. Not that keeping the files up on the program doesn't end up taking up just as much space as the cookies themselves. I clean that out once every six months and the pop up window on the prompt may bother me for a month or so on sites I happen to bounce back to but it's still better than having ten thousand cookies. By bloated, I guess that means Craven is eating all those cookies. A fat Craven? I don't think so.
0 Replies