The importance of teamwork - article, please help

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:32 am
Hello everyone;
I am currently planning write an article about the "importance of teamwork" .. I have a few ideas and a few examples to elaborate, but I don't have a strong reference or a source of proffessional, trusted info regarding that topic.
Please do help me in finding links, websites, articles, references about that topic, or if you people have an idea to state, please do it freely.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 28,904 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Misti26

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 11:00 pm
You won't know the importance of team-work until you've worked a number of years and experience it for yourself!

Go to www.Google.com for reference links.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:41 am
John Dell's book talks some about team work at DELL computers and Mike S ******* , the Coach at Duke (Don't even ask me to spell his last name and I'm a dit hard Duke fan). also discusses the importance of team building. I've taught team building/work for middle and senior managers. If I can dig up the old manuscripts, I'll ask for your e-mail address and send the reference list to you. It's been a while.

A thought: In addressing team work Vince Lombardi is often cited as a major team builder. A thought to remember that he started with 50 or so members and ended up with a team of a much smaller size. Team building concerns not only staff working but selecting members for the team that that can get the job done. Counter productive to team work is to the mini speach that says "Every one is doing an excellent job. Some are not and the team knows it and thus, the statement comes across as shallow. Praise team members individually and cite specific examples of their work. Most of my materials and books are packed (we're moving). but I'll se if I can dig out some things. Tell me a little more about your article (audience, intent, etc) so I'll have an idea of what to look for I just remembered, there is a professional group of managers that has a management certification.
I can't recall the name at the moment but will find out. I'm sure they have some stuff online. Zimbardo (Social psychologist) has done studies on group development. The father did a lot of work in the 60's and 70's and his son is doing research studies today. He has a show on PBSU. You mighe look him up. I've got some management stuff on my computer. It discusses a groups acceptance of a leader. I can e-mail it to you if you want.
<[email protected]>
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:43 am
Glad to meet you vonderjon and welcome to A2K.
and
Good morning Misti, it's been a while!
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Wed 13 Aug, 2003 04:54 am
Did a Google search for "Team building research" and got a a lot of hits
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 05:45 pm
Teamwork?
How do you define "teamwork"?

If I were going to look for examples of teamwork for the Common Good, I would research the world-wide Cooperative Movement. I can't think of a more non-violent, beneficial and productive example of teamwork.

Following are some research books:

http://www.bolerium.com/cgi-bin/bol48/scan/st=sql/mp=keywords/se=Co-operatives.html?id=ubNnMsmD

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

JamesMorrison

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:31 pm
vonderjohn,

Welcome to A2K. As to the subject at hand I would suggest that while researching various sources keep certain concepts in mind and how these relate to teamwork.

Problem definition is crucial. Some might think that too many cooks spoil the soup but then again two heads are better than one so that the first thing decided would be that of who is in charge of the team and ultimately responsible for the final product. This decision will negate future discussions about what avenues the team will pursue and modes used for such. There is every reason to hold discussions as relates to problem definition, but the final decision must be made by the team leader.

The second concept is that compartmentalization allows groups within the team to attack the problem in small portions ...divide and conquer if you will. The sub-group should also follow the team leader concept so that it also benefits from a leader and further division of labor is accomplished.

Inter and intra sub-group discussions should be encouraged, however it should be the responsibility of sub-group leaders to filter the results of the latter before participating in the former.

JM
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 12:39 pm
vonderjohn is not responding.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:36 pm
Alright;
I took my time while reading your replies folks, and I thank you for every piece of info you gave me, especially JM I suppose you are very punctual and specific when it comes to what's "inside the team" .. something which is very important no matter what goal is the team working for.
As for MorganWood well you have a very valuable example, though I'm not very familiar with what John Dell said in his book but you tackled an important factor which is the team 'members' .. and here I recall a common problem which many teams face which is the huge gap in member performance...you from a team with odd members and you end up with only one or two members doing all the work, and the rest either watching,listening or simply not interested. So here the right combination of team members is very important.
Anyway thanks again for everyone including Bumblebee and the others...I did several searches on teamwork and I ended up with this breif paragraph..please do correct/rate/evaluate it for me, be my teachers, feel free to comment :

The importance of teamwork lies in the significant effect that it produces, especially when being properly applied and managed. It creates fexibilty and coordination among members and enables them to use their talents and participate in taking decisions. It also provides a great deal of acceptance, undesrstanding and physyical interaction, which cannot be gained individually. Thats why members rely on teamwork to get the feedback, attention and moral support which they constantly need. As a result, this leads to a great improvement in the quality of work produced, making the process more fun and less frustrating. This is why teamwork was identified as one of the top skills needed by many employers, and one of the crucial abilities they look for especially when recruting..and this is why many businesses and institutions have also come to realize the importance of teamwork and the imperative role teams play in the growth of an organization
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:39 pm
Correction:

"you from a team with odd members "

"you FORM a team with odd members"
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 20 Aug, 2003 06:42 pm
Something is screwy here...I posted a lengthy collection of material on team building and it is gone. Confused
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:21 pm
Oh Sad Why and how did that happen??
Please try posting it again
Thanks big time
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:32 pm
Oh well i found it posted on the business section!
It's great and veeery rich
Where did you get it from ?? Smile)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:35 pm
Hmm...well, at least you found it. My mother teaches social work, and has an interest in team-building. I have recently started doing culinary team-buliding events, so she sent me the material.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2003 03:50 pm
Aww how nice Smile Hehe.. nice coincedence Very Happy
BIG thanks for your mom...I bet she is a very talented speaker and a patient mom too!
My best regards to her..

P.S: Can such materials be found online or so?
0 Replies