Terrific idea for a Powerpoint presentation

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 08:55 pm
Hi!

This may not be the best forum to post this on, but I figure most of you are computer whizzes and although I completed a certificate in graphic design in 1975-76, that was sort of like prehistoric as it was all done manually.

I should start by saying I am a mature age student on the wrong side of 50 (that in itself should help explain my query),and I am looking to get a job after being made redundant almost a year ago.

I'm a relative newcomer to the world of computers, but I guessed these days you need to know how to manoeuvre your way around them if you want to obtain any sort of employment, especially in my case.

I did a couple of three day courses in Word in 2005. In July I did an 8 week course which covered the basics of Word 2003, Excel 2003 And Access 2003. I am doing another course at the the moment. It's 2 days a week for 18 weeks, and we have covered Word 2003, Excel 2003 and are about to start on Access 2003.

As the course is only 2 days a week, apparently we have about 4 weeks of database ahead, and then we proceed to Powerpoint. Herein lies my query. Our teacher has told us she can only spend 2 weeks on Powerpoint. We currently have a week of holidays before we start back and she has suggested we start thinking about a great idea for a powerpoint presentation.

She showed us some examples from previous students some she thought were average and some that she thought were good. Her favourite was one that a student did based on the NRL (National Rugby League). Someone did the Simpsons. Someone did one on their family (that one was classed as boring).

Does anyone out there have a really fantastic idea for a powerpoint presentation that would knock her socks off and give me half a chance at passing this section of the course as I have never done powerpoint before and haven't the slightest idea where to start. She also wants it to have a hyperlink to the web.

Any ideas for an funny, interesting, 'knock-out' topic - I need to start researching, like er... yesterday!

Thanks to anyone who can be of assistance. I will be forever in your debt!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,076 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 10:57 pm
Powerpoint itself is just the medium, so the theme itself doesn't matter but there are some things you can do that better employ the medium.

For example, the medium is essentially a slide show. So with that in mind breaking things down into easily absorbed bits is what it's all about.

So organizing your points and making them easy to absorb is what makes a good PowerPoint presentation. Things like bullet points and graphics play well while large blocks of text do not.

Now in a class setting, impressing the teacher probably has a bit to do with showing knowledge of the medium itself as well, so try to add some bells and whistles like transition effects and any other feature the teacher covered.

In the real world a great presentation has little to do with that, but it may be what works for this task you have.

And incidentally, I recommend that you dominate the computing world you want to work (e.g. if you want to work in graphics focus on the Adobe titles and ignore Access) in more than try to gain broad, if superficial, knowledge of office suites.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 11:32 pm
Helyn, do you have a hobby that you could showcase through PPT?
I think the goal is to explain something, teach a structure, etc. So I'm thinking something like learning how to paint - from scratch ... or how to tend to a garden in the fall, etc... a 'how to' or 'how does it work' something.

I love using photos and cartoon jokes in my presentations, people respond to that, since 100% of attention is on the screen. (When things are fun, people remember stuff... humor goes a long way). It's a delight for a graphic designer once you figure out the basics. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:20 am
With powerpoint "kisas" (keep it short and simple) is crucial. One photo and 3 or 4 bullet points or just bullet points per page.
As robert said you may need to include some bells and whistles to prove that you can do it, but essentially it will be your presentation skills that make the presentation work.

Shake and shout if audiance has been sitting. GAin control by having them all shift seats.
Use a stick pointer or light pointer. Ask for audience participation.
Intro
body
conclude
Keep your audience involved by asking them to provide answers to questions and rewarding those audience members who do respond by giving a small candy treat.
Repeat/reinforce important points.
0 Replies

helyn2001

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:40 am
Re: Request for powerpoint presentation topics
This is to say a very big thank you to Robert Genteel, Dagmaraka and last but not least to dadpad, for all your suggestions.

I really appreciate that you took the time to offer your advice and experience in this area, to a novice (as you are probably aware). Now however by the time I have to present this assignment, I'm sure I will feel more confident than I did when I first sought help. I will keep everything you have all suggested in mind, when I get to this section of the course.

It may not be for a few more weeks but I will let you know how I scored.

Every time I have used this website there has always been someone who has helped me out with an answer or suggestion to a question or problem.

Thank you all once again for your help, I am most grateful.

Helyn
0 Replies

helyn2001

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 11:46 am
Apology to Robert Gentel
Hi Robert,

Just realised that I spelt your user name incorrectly. My apologies. Will be more careful next time.

Helyn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:44 pm
No worries. I just pretended it was a Freudian slip. ;-)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 04:09 pm
bm
0 Replies