Sending photo's by E-mail.

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:11 am
I am having a problem sending photos by E-mail or rather some on the other end are having a problem downloading them. Before I forget I am on AOL. I sent photos that are in my documents as attachments to the E-mail.
My cousin who is on cable is able to download the photos. However those on dialup whether it be MSN or other servers are not. In addition I received some photos which were sent to me on Yahoo and forwarded that E-mail to the same people who could not get the photos I sent they had no problem when it came to the forwarded ones.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,466 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 09:50 am
Does your cousin have AOL Cable? Do you have a broadband connection?

What are the file sizes? What file extentions?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 10:18 am
Craven
I have a standard AOL connection. As to the file size it is just one photo that was scanned through Vist Scan. Have no Idea what My cousin has other than a cable connection to the internet. What make it so curious is that I have sent photos in this manner previously and they have been received. That however, was at least one year ago.
Specifically after hitting attachment on E-Mail the attach opens up. I than bring up documents and enter the document hit open and back to OK and the photo gets loaded.
Am I missing a step Or does that sound about right?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 12:56 pm
I need to know what file extention they are. I'll PM you an email address if the photos aren't too private and tell you what went wrong if you want.

Lemme know.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 02:25 pm
Craven
Nothing private just a photo of a baby.
C:\ MY Documents\ anna1 EXE
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 02:30 pm
If the name of the file is anna1.exe then the reason they couldn't open it is because an antivirus program filtered it.

.exe means it's an executable file and most email servers force you to zip up those files.

In addition there is no reason for your photos to NEED to be sent in an executable file. Does it do a slideshow or something?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 02:40 pm
anna1.exe????? That isn't just a photo then. A file with an "exe" extension in the file name is an executable file. You can send executable files attached to an email but a lot of anti-virus software and firewalls are setup to remove them which may be why people aren't getting them.

When you scan the image using VistaScan and save it you should be saving it as a "GIF" or preferably "JPG" (or "JEPG" file, they are the same) file. Those formats are the most compatible with all PCs and Macs.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Aug, 2003 04:40 pm
Craven, Fishin

Found the problem I had used a different program to scan and save photos in past.
Thanks for help.
AU
0 Replies

RedHawk

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:20 pm
My brother has a web tv thing and I don't think he can handle attached files. When I want to send him a pic via e-mail, I just drag and drop in in the text portion of the message, and when he opens his e-mail, there it is. I am on AOL.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:32 pm
Hello RedHawk from my homestate of Michigan. Welcome to A2K. My Dad has a WebTV (now MSNTV) and it handles attached JPG images no problem, whether embedded in with the text or as an actual attachment. It's AOL that can't handle MIME compliant e-mail. To send pics to AOL users, the image must be embedded in the text portion. Sounds like it might be true for outgoing e-mail as well.

Maybe this is fixed in AOL 9.x (just released).
0 Replies

RedHawk

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 02:55 pm
I send and receive pics as attached files all the time. Perhaps my brother just doesn't understand how to open an attached file. I was a little surprised when he got on-line at all, he is not the computer type.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 03:20 pm
0 Replies

RedHawk

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:14 am
That could be, I am no expert one way or the other. I am using 8.0
0 Replies

Captain Bitchfist

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 08:18 am
cjhsa is posting horrible hidden messages!!! If a witchdoctor doesn't show up quick I fear my innocent soul will be lost forever.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 10:16 am
Well, in this case the "horrible hidden message" is actually the first few characters of my avatar.
0 Replies

USAFHokie

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 10:40 am
the reason you get the text of an image file instead of a rasterized image is usually because one of the computers screwed up the MIME encoding. it happens a lot between Macs and PC's cause Macs don't always encode it correctly by default. you gotta tell it explicitly which encoding scheme to use... and people dont' always chose the compatible one.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Aug, 2003 05:35 pm
Am on AOL and have no problem when receiving Photos. The problem was the receipt of photos I was sending as an attachment. As suggested I changed the photo from EXE to JEPG whereupon it was able to be opened by the recipient.
0 Replies