Trying to set my Home Page

Mustang

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 01:15 pm
Finally got a new computer a couple of weeks ago. Three people involved: 1) fellow who 'built it,' 2) fellow who hooked it up, and 3) fellow who transfered some files for me.

Because of using it for so many years, I continued to have 'Excite' as my home page. When #3 was doing his work, he said there must have been some problem with Excite, so he set my home page to Google. I didn't like it and tried changing. Finally somehow got to MSN.com and set that as my home page.

MSN will not allow me to access Excite. I can find it on Google but nothing happens when I click on the links. Doesn't help to type in the address either--just sets there and doesn't open.

Because I've heard so much about all the wrinkles not ironed out of Vista, I had the person who built the machine install Windows XP.

Anyone know how I can reset my home page to what it's been for years?

I think all the originals know I haven't learned any more about computers than I knew when I was last active on this board. Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,221 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Oct, 2007 10:57 pm
In IE... Tools > Internet Options > General
Type in the name of the URL you want as your home page.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:00 am
Sorry I forgot to mention this in my original post. I've done that several times. When I begin typing it in, it auto fills the correct address. I then click on 'apply.' Doesn't do any good. Thanks for the reply.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 08:05 am
If you can't reset your home page, that can be (it doesn't have to be, but it can be) a sign of viruses or spyware. Even with a new computer. Have you done scans?
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 08:54 am
tinygiraffe has figured it out for you! maybe.

if you go to excite.com with javascript off (i know, i'm getting to that) it says that a. it won't let you "sign in" to excite. it says this before you ever try to "sign in" to it in the first place. they obviously mean "it just won't work."

this would suggest you need javascript on. but wait there's more, because ie blocks a lot of javascripts now. hint hint. you are probably getting some bar at the top that says "click this nearly invisible link for more options." that might help.

another problem is that excite looks like it is using javascript to check things, like the time on your system clock. very peculiar, but you may have to play with your clock before it works!

may i suggest finding an alternative to excite? this is ridiculous of them. but i know that's not the answer you want, instead, take care of the above issues, get to the excite page, and then go back and click "use current" in ie to set a new homepage. good luck.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 03:12 pm
jespah, yes i've done several scans and found no problems. Thanks for your input.

tinygiraffe, I used the javascript line provided in your answer. Jumped through all the hoops--no different. I really think there's some connection between Google and my not being able to set the page to Excite. Prior to having my files transfered, I had no problem having Excite as my home page. After he made the change, I've been unable to get to it.

I guess I'll just have to be content with MSN but of the three I've looked at (MSN, Yahoo, and Google) I just don't like the looks of the page or the content. With Excite I was able to select my own wallpaper, colors, content, etc. I can't think of any others I could choose. They all look 'blah' (now there's a descriptive computerese word Laughing ).

Thanks for trying to help me. Now--if I can just figure out how to make info fit properly on this monitor without having to scroll horizontally on so many of them. Question
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:06 pm
Mustang wrote:

Thanks for trying to help me. Now--if I can just figure out how to make info fit properly on this monitor without having to scroll horizontally on so many of them. Question

You may want to change your screen resolution. You can do so by right-clicking the desktop and selecting "properties" and then selecting settings.

There you can change your resolution and more data will fit on the screen with a higher resolution.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 04:48 pm
there is another way...

if your only goal is to get to excite as your home page, you could make a shortcut to excite.com and rename the shortcut "internet explorer"

you could then put that on your desktop, delete the other one on your desktop, or even put it in your start menu.

what do you do to open internet explorer? icon on the desktop? start menu? both?

this depends of course on your ability to use the excite page after you go to it.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 05:27 pm
Is your computer set to accept 'cookies'? They require it, as do many pages. This from Excite help page:

Quote:
What are cookies?
Cookies are files on your computer that can be used to store information, so that you don't have to sign in each time you visit the site. Cookies do not provide us with any information beyond what you provided when you registered with Excite. For detailed information, please see our Privacy Policy.

Why do I have to accept cookies to register?
We need to set the Web browser "cookie" to display your personalized Start Page.

I think you can check in Internet Explorer tools and then Options and tinker with settings - see what you can find about cookies there....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2007 05:29 pm
Also try deleting all cache and cookies (also in the Options) - all history and files and all that you can delete. Close browser, open, try logging in again.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2007 11:41 am
Robert Gentel! I think I'm in love with you. Will you marry me? Laughing (Kind of silly if we happen to be the same sex!) I took your advice, kicked up the lever a couple of notches, and--voila! Everything fits on the page without scrolling. Many thanks.

As for trying to set Excite as my home page, I think I'm going to lay that to rest for a while. A neighbor of mine is a good friend of the fellow who did the file transfers. He visits quite often. The next time he's in our building, I'll snag him to come in and fix it.

Many thanks for all the good suggestions.
0 Replies