Movie Magazines - Remember Them

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 01:40 am
Tonight I took a trip down memory lane while watching the Actor's Studio. Remembering Photo Play was always my favorite. In the late 50s I bought them, read every word, and then waited some times six months to a year for the latest movies to come to the local theater patiently because our little movie house, The Vogue, did not get movies until after they had been released for at least six months. Every Friday night my mother and I would go out for supper and then to the double feature at The Vogue.

http://www.g-web.net/malanga/moviemagazines2.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,023 • Replies: 19
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 03:37 am
The thing that I remember was that compared to the celebrity mags today (like People- I read it in the MDs office Embarrassed ) magazines like Photoplay were relatively innocent.

When I was about 14, I took a few pictures from movie magazines, and put them on my bedroom wall. I kept adding more pictures, until eventually, the long wall opposite my bed was COVERED with pictures of movie stars- John Derek, Tony Curtis, Marilyn Monroe, Janet Leigh etc. I am only sorry that I never took a picture of it, as it was really quite interesting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 05:43 am
My favourite movie mag memory (Photoplay was my vote as well) is of Saturday morning trips to the beach with my parents as a child.

Just outside the provinical park we went to, there was a small camp/variety store. My mother and I would go in with about $5 and a mission - movie magazines, licorice, chocolate milk and potato chips (all things i generally wasn't allowed to have at home). Then, in between runs into the water to swim, I'd drape myself over my towel in my sunsuit (different from my bathing suit) and devour the magazines and chocolate milk and treats. Oh, how i loved Tony Curtis when I was a little girl - my mother took me to see 40 pounds of trouble when I was about 3 - I recall thinking he lived near us.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:50 am
Movie Magazines. Oh, those wonderful color portraits. Very Happy In my teens, I tore them out of the magazines and put them in a scrapbook, then another scrapbook, and another , and so on and so on, and now, here I am, at the, I believe they call it "pushing your luck" age, surrounded by shelves of 3 1/2" binders (300 of them), filled with those portraits (neatly tucked away in sheet protectors), wondering when my floor will cave in from the weight.
Photoplay was a great magazine. I'll vote for it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 10:01 am
Photoplay was undoubtedly the best. I now get Premier, and Sight and Sound but, of course, People and US has taken over the position of the photospread (and not really all that entertaining). Vanity Fair does the best job of star profiles with very arty photography.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:27 pm
Photplay was my choice. And like Phoenix I posted a wall in my bedroom with photos of movies stars.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:35 pm
In fact, I had a picture of Tony Curtis and Janet Leigh together. That was when they were married. Somehow, I cut off Tony's body so that he looked like his head was sitting on Janet's shoulder! Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 08:41 pm
Remeber how the treated the celebraity Hollywood couples, Debbie & Eddie, and then the break-up of the marriages. It seems that for several months that the only people on the covers of the movies mags were of Debbie and Liz.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Fri 15 Nov, 2002 09:13 pm
Oh, the memories. I, too, voted for Photoplay since it was usually the best of the lot. I remember walking down to the local stationery store with my allowance to check out which mags had come in. I never posted pictures -- I used scrapbooks as well. However, I have absolutely no idea what happened to them. raggadeyaggie, have you considered putting your scrapbooks up for sale on ebay?
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:44 am
Hi Bandylu:
E-Bay's a great suggestion, thank you. But I've not gone there yet. While in a springcleaning Evil or Very Mad mood this year, I told my daughter, I absitively, posolutely, was E-Baying this winter, but as she said: I said that last year, and the year before and so forth and so on. Then a friend or two stops by and asks to look at one or two binders of an old-time movie favorite, and I can't deprive them of that pleasure, now can I? :wink:
If I should ever have to move, I'll have no choice but to get rid of my collection. The main problem with getting rid of pictures, great though they may be, is that they've been removed from the magazines and most collectors are looking for the magazines intact. It's rather sad because many of my magazine portraits date back to the forties.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:08 pm
Unfortunately I dont remember all of them, I was more into like Teen Beat or Tiger Beat or somesuch thing like that to paper my bedroom walls with Smile
I do agree with reading People for quick uptakes while waiting somewhere and actually had a position where I filled in for the Corporate Receptionist for her breaks and such, I always looked forward to it for all her piles of People, Us and entertainment...I miss that!
I did have quite the collage in college from Interview magazines..does that count? Wink
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:13 pm
You're just a babe, quinn. See what you missed? (I vote to let your Teen type mags qualify for full credit.)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 08:33 pm
Thank you!

Might have missed alot but, I get to learn alot as well Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:10 pm
I think I had a cover of Teen Beat on my wall. The subject was Fabian and he was holding a tigar.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:12 pm
What ever happened to Fabian -- I'm sure he never became a good singer.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:26 pm
I am sure of that to Bandylu, but I did see him with Dino and the Belmonts, and Frankie Avalon on a program a couple of years ago featuring 50s singers and Band Stand stars. He did not however!!!!
0 Replies

moondoggy

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:28 pm
hehe
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 09:37 pm
Haha
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:24 pm
bandylu2- Wonder no more:

Link to Fabian's Website
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sat 16 Nov, 2002 10:36 pm
Good grief! I can't believe he's still making a living at it. Actually, aside from being kinda cute, I have no idea why he ever made a living at it.
0 Replies