Online questionare development

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 08:51 am
I want to have an online questionare where people would answer questions by entering values from 0-4. Then depending on the values entered, different results would show on the results page. There would probably be around 6+ pages of questions followed by one or possibly two results pages based on what values the person entered.

My question is, what program would be best/easiest to do this in? Is it possible to do in HTML or would I need to use flash or some java programming or something?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 925 • Replies: 5
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:29 am
Maybe all of the above. I don't know much about Flash but they do have a Java api that I've heard makes programming with it easier. I think it's called FLEX. It sounds like you will need at least some server side code and probably data storage -- to store the questions and other scoring type configuration, if not the actual question/answer session. But I don't it needs to be much.

In general, I think the answer to these types of questions is "whatever you're comfortable using", especially if time is of the essence.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 09:45 am
Thanks Freeduck. I'm a slightly above novice Flash user, but haven't tackled anything like this before. Any tips on how the whole thing might be set up? If I have a starting place, I am usually pretty good at figuring things out, but I really don't know where to start on this. I do have server space so I can handle the data storage but beyond that I am pretty clueless as to what needs to be done.

Any books or reference material that you know of that I could look at would appreciated too. thanks again.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:20 am
I don't know any books off the top of my head, but if I think of any I'll drop in and post them.

You're a designer, right? I think if I were you I'd lay it out first and go from there. Once you have the concept, you should be able to sketch out a data model and get an idea of what kinds of "actions" you'll need from there along with various states of the survey. If you're going the servlet way (Java) you'll need a container, probably Tomcat. Stop me if I'm telling you stuff you already know.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 11:25 am
If you want to store the answers in a database you would probably want to use php or asp pages.

html would work fine but then your code is available for all to see.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:10 pm
I found this tutorial for Flex that you might be interested in.

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/articles/first_flexapp.html
0 Replies