Mayday - I think I'm in the midst of a DOS attack!

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 03:21 pm
Hi CdK!
here's a snapshot of my current admin panel - there seems to be a user (or bunch?) logging on from the same ip address, which shows up as balt.verizon.mad.east (i think) - i use verizon dsl and that shows up without the balt - anyway, there seems to be more than 100 of this guy all over my board - obviously a bot.
Any ideas or suggestions? I"m using your SID thingie for the search engines.
Thanks for any help or advise.
Gary
p.s. screenshot didn't look good so i didn't enclose unless you think it would help - thanks again.
UPDATE: IN the time it took me to post this, then go back to my site, it cleared up - very strange.
The browser was Isilo or Isilox or something like that - any idea what the deal was?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,197 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Aug, 2003 03:44 pm
PM me your cpanel passwords and I'll ahve a look sometime tonight when your logs process.

It's unlikely that it was a DoS. I can have a look at the logs to be sure.

It's more likely that one user was generating a whole lot of sessions since session IDs are stripped.

With your setup you don't need to generate multiple sessions to DoS you.

So I'd not worry about it unless it takes down your board.

PM me the details and I'll ahve a look at your logs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 07:43 am
I had a look at your logs, it seems like it could simply have been a user operating a spider (possibly to harvest email addresses) but it doesn't look like a DoS attack.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:03 am
cool - thanks CdK!

it's funny - i've had site after site link to me - and i still have a page rank of 0 - including one site with a pr of 7 which put a link on the front page, and i got 1,400 visitors as a result - think google is just pissed at me because i made fun of his haircut? Smile
And what exactly do i want a link to me to look like - like my signature, i.e. http://www.gadgetaddict.com, or can even www.gadgetaddict.com do it, or does it have to be spelled out in some other way, i.e. <A Href=
frustrated - argh!!!!!
at least google does seem to be spidering my site, not very often, but i'm a happy camper when it happens.... Smile
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:11 am
gadgetaddict, i have a site that just went up from PR1 to PR4 last weekend, after maybe 3 or 4 months of not getting any new links. Give it time, methinks.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:13 am
Links like the one in your signature are fine. A link like this: Gadget Addict would be a bit more helpful for people doing google searches, but wouldn't change PR.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:22 am
gadgetaddict wrote:
..one site with a pr of 7 which put a link on the front page

Is that site still linking to you on it's home page? Was the link there the last time google spidered that page? By ze way, I think google calculates new PR a fair bit after it finishes its crawl.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:24 am
Google has been weird and right now I'm investigating a pagerank penalization on all phpbb viewtopic and viewforum pages.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:27 am
Monger wrote:
gadgetaddict, i have a site that just went up from PR1 to PR4 last weekend, after maybe 3 or 4 months of not getting any new links. Give it time, methinks.

Monger - what's "PR1" ?? thanks
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 09:39 am
PR = PageRank
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Thu 14 Aug, 2003 10:29 am
Howdy Husker ... As per your PM question about how to calculate PageRank, download the Google Toolbar and from its options page you can select to display PageRank.

Your hosting site currently has a PR of 1, as a result of the link on this page: http://www.wafoodcoalition.org/
0 Replies