Dream and myth: the foundation for depth psychology

coberst

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 02:20 pm
Dream and myth: the foundation for depth psychology

Freud hypothesized that dreams were a means for establishing a universal method for studying the human psyche. He felt that dreams provided a means for studying the psyche in a manner similar to that used to study the physiological characteristics of the body. In studying dreams and myth he theorized that one could make comparative interpretation of a universality of symbolism.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 463 • Replies: 2
No top replies

bellsybop

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 12:35 am
I believe our souls depart from our bodies during sleep. It causes our minds to move into forgetfulness. It causes our minds to be confused. Which is why our dreams leave us asking questions like 'what am I creating here'? But I believe that it was designed to be this way. Because when our soul rejoins our body, and we wake up, we arrive back into our place of thinking and remembering again.
0 Replies

fungotheclown

Reply Thu 1 Nov, 2007 11:57 am
Freud was a crackpot. He spouted ideas as though they were facts without providing any evidence, and in doing so a) created a negative stereotype of the field of psychology, and b) set a bad precedence for psychologists in regards to the scientific method. The field is still trying to recover from both of these. The only good he did was popularize the field, and I don't think that is enough to justify him.

More on topic, I think dreaming performs a combination of functions. It keeps the mind active while sleeping so that it doesn't shut down. It is probably a side effect of our brains processing information as we sleep (studies have shown that we make better decisions if we sleep on it). Finally, I think it "resets" the brain, allowing it to return to homeostasis and prepare for another day's bombardment of stimuli.
0 Replies