How far should people go when they protest?

Frank R

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 02:10 pm
Hey
There are all of these protests going on in the world, and, I mean, how far should you go. To what point should someone protest?

Personally I feel that they should protest to the point that they feel is safe to them and safe to the general public. So not to the point of a RIOT...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 497 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 03:29 pm
I think that the extent of a protest should be consonant with the level of wrong that one desires to be changed.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 03:50 pm
Quote:
I think that the extent of a protest should be consonant with the level of wrong that one desires to be changed.

Fuzzy meaning.

Does it legitimise terrorism?
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 03:59 pm
This is agreeable but this also relies a bit I think, upon a persons will to support or be in a protest and their values and beliefs.
0 Replies

Frank R

Reply Sun 30 Sep, 2007 04:01 pm
vikorr wrote:
Quote:

Fuzzy meaning.

No, this doesnt at all legitimise terrorism as we are not speaking of terrorism at the time, we are speaking of a protest.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 03:04 am
I'm sure that Terrorists think their action is a form of protest.

Perhaps if you would clarify exactly what you mean.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 03:46 am
i hold on to the belief that any protest can be successful without killing, and oppose that sort of thing. i also wouldn't participate on any level, in any protest that intended bodily injury or destruction of property, like peta has in the past.

that said, "terrorism" is a fuzzy term too. i mean, under the definition the usa government has written, causing profit loss is terrorism- that could include a non-violent boycott of nestle products for the reprehensible things they did in 3rd world countries.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2007 05:33 am
vikorr wrote:
Quote:

Fuzzy meaning.

I was in a hurry when I wrote that, and did not have time to expand on my thoughts. I think that in terms of offense, there is no excuse for any form of protest that involves death or injury to another person. There are peaceful ways of getting a message across, without resorting to bloodshed.

I could see, in certain circumstances, that as a defensive measure, a protest could involve killing, but that would be very rare. For instance, if someone were being held illegally by a rogue regime, I could make a case for the prisoner killing the captors.
0 Replies