Microsoft Live One Care denies Internet Access via Satellite

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 08:21 pm
"This anti virus is too strong for your new Vista OS using wireless broadband satellite connectivity and it should not have been sold to you." This is what I was told from more than one computer technician, yet to our knowledge, no one else has had this particular problem before.
In good faith the computer store sold me the works (laptop & accessories), including their recommended anti virus program which was Microsoft Live One Care ($99.95).
Initially it worked for the first 3 - 4 hours and Internet accessibility was achieved. Emails and browsing were possible. The following day, when the laptop was booted up, NO emails, NO browsing activity whatsoever. The meter was ticking over, but that was all. After many painstaking hours of work at some monetary expense, we learn that the Microsoft Live One Care will not allow Internet traffic via the wireless broadband satellite Turbo card. Unplug the Turbo Card and plug in a broadband cable and Internet traffic is established. Reverse that procedure, unplug the cable and plug back in the satellite Turbo Card and traffic stops. Meter is ticking over, that is all. The Turbo Card was checked by the manager of our local new Telstra Shop and it was deemed to be "OK".
I think it's about time customers/consumers were alerted to this particular problem before anymore people get caught. We are unable to get a refund for the Microsoft Live One Care because 'technically' there is "nothing wrong with it". We now have to buy a different brand of Anti Virus and 'TREND MICRO INTERNET SECURITY' has been "guaranteed" to work by the retailer.
Sadly I am not convinced. I am very fearful that after spending more money on another anti virus, we will still end up where we are now, further out of pocket and unable to access the Internet via the wireless satellite Turbo card. We can't contact Microsoft until next week thanks to our long weekend holiday. Up until now no one thought to contact Microsoft before and we have had this problem for over 2 months, so a few more days won't hurt. "Professional" computer technicians have been trying to help. That is where the expense is. They charge big bucks.
If anyone has anything to tell me about this particular problem please don't hesitate. I feel like I am the only one in the world that has and still is suffering with this problem. Thanks. Von.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 741 • Replies: 6
No top replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:07 pm
Let me add that Trend Micro's suite won't work under Vista Home Premium without downloading the upgrade from Trend Micro. Good luck.

Oh, and if you attempt to load it as it comes from retail, the download detects the original program running (which it isn't) and doesn't want to complete the download without removing the original. Just you try and find it so you can remove it. I got help at Best Buy, by the way. Then, it only worked after I found out how to give myself administrator privilages.
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:20 pm
Thank you so much for your prompt reply. It has confirmed my decision to wait until after the long weekend... then I will contact Microsoft for a bit of a chat with them and see what they have to say. I know very little about these things and have always relied on the computer salespeople for help and advice. It turns my stomach when they are of no help.
Well, I should not be too harsh with them. Some are good, but in the end, often just not good enough. I often feel we customers are really treated like guinea pigs.
V.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 09:31 pm
Yes. When I said Best Buy, I specifically meant a person at the Geek Squad desk. I shudder when I hear the name, but the guy was really helpful, and gave me lots of free time. I did buy the computer and software at that store and had the receipt to prove it.
0 Replies

tinygiraffe

Reply Fri 28 Sep, 2007 11:30 pm
hey, let's be fair to "live one" av- anything that "kind of" works on VISTA has accomplished a miracle.
0 Replies

sujitkrnandi

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
Satellite/wireless connections
Generally Satellite/wireless connctions are Hi-Latency tendencies. Hi-Latency is caused by data not being sent and received in an adequate time frame between client, and server. This may be a problem because - constant communication. I have same issue and fixed now.

You can set the Internet Explorer in "Compatiblity" mode. These instructions will help you load in Vista as Windows XP:

1. Right click on the program launch icon (IE)
2. Left click on "Properties".
3. In the new window that pops up click on the "Compatibility" tab.
4. In the "Compatibility Mode" area check the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
5. In the drop down list make certain that "Windows XP (Service Pack 2)" is selected.
6. Under "Privilege Level" make certain that the box next to "Run this program as administrator" is checked.
7. Click on "Apply" then click on "Ok".
8. Double click on the program run IE.

This should allow you to run your program under Windows Vista.

-Sujit Smile
0 Replies

Vonda1941

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2007 07:47 am
Thank you Sujit for your advice.
I will let you know the outcome.
V.
0 Replies